Shipping Klipsch Speakers ...

tychicum

I am interested in buying a couple "experienced" (used) La Scala speakers. The Industrial model is the most likely candidate for a number of reasons. I notice they come up from time to time on Audiogon or on this forum.

I'm in no particular hurry.

So the question is, should I find the ones that I want ,... how in the whole wide world does one go about shipping something like that?

None of the courier companies that I know of actually package things up for shipping they expect them to be pre-packed. It isn't likely that the seller would get real excited about the prospect of looking for some kind of cardboard box to put them in and it isn't likely that someone selling them kept the original box materials.

The Industrials aren't particularly delicate to begin with I suppose, but I wouldn't want to ship them entirely naked ... a wrapping of some kind is called for ... even a mover's blanket would work I suppose ...

Any suggestions?

Kindling? Then that would make it a Klipsch "kit" ... with "some assembly required" ... [:D]

I'm not worried about that much ... just about scratches.

I bought a pair of SS-3 off some ebay store a couple weeks ago. They wouldn't ship to me in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Canada (I think they thought it would be difficult somehow ... hard to follow their reasoning ...we no longer live in igloos ... and the snow has melted for the summer).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So I had them ship from New York to a niece in WashingtonState ... then that niece shipped them to me in Alberta. So they made it across the continent one and a half times ... without nary a scratch.

There is a pair in a city not far from me that could be had. But the things look ... even in the pictures ... like they had gone through World War III.

So I would rather pay my money and take my chances.

But the question remains ... Which shipping companies would box 'em up for shipping?

Anybody know enough about shipping companies to be able to advise me?

I agree with Frzn , your best bet is to wait until you find a pair within driving distance . But they can be shipped by frieght successfully .

I purchased my first pair of Belles last summer from a guy in Taccoma Wa . He specified local pickup only . Well once I won them I broke the bad news to him . I was 2,900 miles away . I called a shipping broker , American Frieghting Services , and received several options on carriers and services . The seller had looked into custom boxes for the Belles before he decided on local pickup only .

On my end I arranged for the frieghting and the seller purchased the custom boxes . Which I paid for . He wraped the Belles in plastic and surrounded them with styrofoam within the boxes . Roadway , the frieghting company I went with , came to his place with a liftgate truck and picked them up . 5 days later they were here without a scratch !

If you went this route I would suggest that you be very anal with the frieghting company . Once I settled on Roadway , I let them know exactly what they were picking up and how I wanted them to be handled . They definitely lived up to their end of the deal . I will say it was not cheap , almost $500.00 , but in my case it worked out .

Good luck and remember , your results may vary .

LaScalas are too big to be shipped by UPS or even Greyhound. They will

require being strapped to a pallet to go on common carrier. This is

expensive.

You might check to see if Craters and Freighters has service to Canada, if you want to go this route.

Some folks use an air freight service, the name escapes me now. Prices

I've heard quoted sounded fairly reasonable for depot to depot service.

Again, don't know if they service Canada.

Forward Air service ships motorcycles in plastic containers that are big enough for about any pair of Klipsch speakers. They are reasonably secure in their, but it is not inexpensive.

Personally, I go get em or I don't deserve em. But that's just me and I'm not right.

M

LaScalas are too big to be shipped by UPS or even Greyhound. They will

require being strapped to a pallet to go on common carrier. This is

expensive.

You might check to see if Craters and Freighters has service to Canada, if you want to go this route.

Some folks use an air freight service, the name escapes me now. Prices

I've heard quoted sounded fairly reasonable for depot to depot service.

Again, don't know if they service Canada.

Dee,

One slight correction. UPS now does have a freight service. I found that out a week or so ago when a pallet of woofers showed up here by UPS freight. Came in an 18 wheeler no less.

Bob

A bit more information ... [:)]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It seems courier companies are limited to hauling things which are "cubed" to less than 130 inches. Some kind of "regulation" I was told.

They explain this "cube" calculation as "width x 2 + depth x 2 + height".

So using that math anything much larger than Chorus speakers (including packing) can not be shipped by common courier.

That is a shame as courier companies are cheap.

Using the UPS calculator on a set of Chorus ... this would run just under $250.00 to ship from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Florida all the way to Calgary, Canada.

This is for ground shipping as air freight is more than twice as expensive.

At the price of gas here in Canada (our price is similar to California gas) I can't drive too far in my truck or it soon becomes the CHEAPER alternative to ship ...

I looked into Roadway and Reimer Express (which are related freight companies). These guys will not only pick up but will pack the beasts for you. When these guys pack something it is very very well packed. But it does come at a price ... about twice the price of a courier company ...

So I guess if I don't locate something local at a reasonable price and condition (unlikely) and if I want to use a courier (to save a few $$ ... ) I am looking at Chorus ... or as I had suspected ... La Scala Industrial Separates (make it under the size limitation).

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the knowledge I have gained regarding shipping.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many folks over estimate how much work is actually involved. Shipping big speakers appears to be rather common fare for courier companies. They handled my first pair with ease.

I received one pair of Chorus from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Texas so far ... and another pair in enroute to me here in Canada from California. I should get his second pair in the next day or two.

In both cases I used UPS.

The paperwork involved from the folks who shipped them to me is minimal. A formatted invoice for the sale ... and another invoice like piece of paper which declared that the goods were being shipped from the USA. In both cases UPS sent the forms by email to the guy shipping them to me and they just filled them out and printed them prior to the driver from UPS picking up the speakers.

The UPS driver went to the sellers home and loaded them into their truck ... right from their garage. Actually less hassle than someone picking them up locally and looking for a hand to load them into their truck.

The first pair were shipped in original boxes ... although those boxes had seen a better day when they were new ... they were like 25 years old and cardboard does not improve with age like wine does ...

Anyway this first pair from Texas to me in Calgary, Alberta took 7 days. The cardboard boxes were still in OK shape (no punctures or tears) but the Styrofoam inside was shot so I have now thrown them out.

The driver and I carried the speakers right into my basement.

No nicks, scratches or dings on the speakers themselves. Exactly as the seller had described them to me.

I will update when the second pair arrives

You would be much better off to find a pair within a reasonable driving distance from you and pick them up in person. Otherwise expect to receive kindling when you receive the shipped ones.

Yes, what Charles said. True Klipsch fans wait patiently for their prey, then SPRING OUT from behind an amassed stack of speakers and amplifiers to lasso their newfound Heritage with 14 ga speaker wire and drag them home.

Remember to take nice soft blankies so your babies can sleep comfortably all the way home.

Michael

Update:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The second pair of Chorus arrived yesterday. Not as lucky with this pair as there is some shipping damage.

The plinth on both speakers have been broken (the joints come loose ... no damage to the actual wood only the glue). This I can easily repair myself.

The bigger issue is a gouge (yes the right term would be gouge) at the back of the speakers but yet on the oak ... likely caused by a careless UPS dude with his hand truck dolly.

All of this is purely cosmetic (they sound awesome) and can be readily repaired by a furniture guy in very short order I am sure ...

The speakers were quite adequately packaged with a double layer of thick quilt batting ... then a layer of cardboard ... this then was wrapped in a double layer of large size bubble wrap (like a cocoon) and then all of this further wrapped with oversized cardboard. There must have been a couple rolls of packing tape used to hold all of this together. This made the speakers maybe a 1/3 again their normal size.

So I will be making a claim to UPS for damage to the speakers. Not so much for the financial purpose ... but they should be looking into who ever it was who handled them so roughly.

For those who say well you shouldn't ship them ... as far as I know Klipsch doesn't actually have a factory in my home town ... so one way or another they would get shipped even if I were to buy them brand spanking new from the stereo store down the street.

Updates to follow after the claim process

• Moderators

This is one of the biggest problems with Heritage Factory Direct, being discussed in another thread. To have these handled properly is quite expensive, and doesn't always ensure against damage.

When shipping Khorns, Belle Klipschs, and RF-7s from eBay, I've had good luck with both Fed Ex Freight and Old Dominion Freight Lines. Watkins Motor Line is ok. A lot of it will depend on the driver and local hub...

I have posted this before, maybe this will help.

North American Van Lines (NAVL) will pick up large bulky items at your door and deliver them to another person's door.

I used to do a lot of things with pinball machines. They are big, heavy, bulky and the 50s-70s machines are like old Heritage speakers...they are not replaceable. For about 300 dollars you can have a pinball machine shipped door to door. This is about the same size as a pair of khorns, more or less. It takes about a week. You don't even have to pack them up. They will wrap them in blankets and cart them off. Personally I would do some packing myself them let them wrap my creation in blankets.

For a quote, call Michelle 1-800-959-8880 ext 2842 with the two zip codes you need.

Many, many pinball people I know use this method with great results. It is my understanding that NAVL prides it self on shipping odd, large, valuable items at reasonable prices. YMMV.

Yes thanks rplace. I did check with the moving companies (but forgot about North American Van lines) and found them to be a little steeper in cost. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If I was moving a couple "furniture grade" KHorns I would definitely recommend forking out the extra dollars and getting the kid glove service.

OK ... I admit it ... I was buying on the cheap.

The speakers might have to be masked anyway (darkened theatre and front projection). There is also still the likelihood that I might use a perfed screen at which point they would literally be behind the screed and out of any possible line of sight anyway.

... and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Texas to Alberta was less than a couple hundred bucks so by way of UPS ...

I use UPS for a LOT of stuff I ship. They are pretty good folks there and I have always found them attempting to make it good for their customers ...

(sucking up now as the claim is still in process ...)