Denon DL 103 Does Not 'Wow' Me

rplace

TD-124 tables are very, VERY quiet once they have been gone through. The plinth helps SOME, but they're pretty much dead quiet anyway. These are AMAZING turntables--buiilt to a standard that you simply don't see today. They are a superbly crafted piece of industrial machinery that happen to make music better than just about any table you can name.

You have turned a page. You will never go back . . .

TD-124 tables are very, VERY quiet once they have been gone through. The plinth helps SOME, but they're pretty much dead quiet anyway. These are AMAZING turntables--buiilt to a standard that you simply don't see today. They are a superbly crafted piece of industrial machinery that happen to make music better than just about any table you can name.

You have turned a page. You will never go back . . .

This was a hard decision for me. I was taking a pretty big chance shelling out this kind of money on a 45 year old TT that I have never even heard before. For the money I now have in this table/arm I could have bought a brand new VPI Scout/JMW-9 with a warranty. But from doing some reading, especially the Jean Nantais "Lenco" thread on Agon I felt like this was the direction to head in.

As I have heard from others, once you've been turned on by a good running idler wheel table there is no going back to the modern belt driven tables. I'll know more this weekend. [:D]

Mike

Wow, lots of interest in my little 150 dollar cart since last I looked.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Dont get me wrong I dont hate the thing or claim it is a POS, I am just saying for my particular system and what I am looking for based on past experience and future desires it is not an instant hit and I wont be throwing my DV 20X into a desk drawer any time soon.

I realize there are a lot of things that come into play here. I also know it needs to break in. After all the first line of my original post says First Impressions

Allan I do have a lot of messing to do to try and see what else I can coax out of it. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

MaxG Correct it is the aluminum version of the arm. For the record it is on a MMF-5 not a Perspective. I did heed a warning from you in earlier messages that is might not be the perfect match, but you had heard the combo and found it decent.

Jazzman Cartridges might not have those features, but I dont have the vocabulary or writing skills to succinctly convey what I am hearing or not hearing. It is the fullness or wholeness of the music that seems to be lacking (this was present in the past). As stated in the original post I very much like the upper end of things. Thus my thought on attenuating my networks a bit to see if perhaps my low end is masked by the more forward clarity and detail that I have seamed to gained . Again I need more time to play with the system as a whole along with tracking weight and VTA as suggested. What I was hoping to gain from a LOMC was a little more blackness in the background and detail without losing what I like from my DV high output MC cart. I appear to have the detail, just lost some of the low end and fun in the music.

Edwinr I know exactly what you mean. I have experienced this in the past. I am not giving up on the Denon just yet. Just trying to find out what others thought if they had happened to have a similar set up like me. Scott seems to feel the same way as me, but perhaps put it in a manner that did not sound so anit-denon. That was not my intent, BTW.

Larry Nice to hear you are pleased all around. As stated earlier I am not giving up on the Denon yet. Part of the fun of this hobby is the journey.

I believe as a system (room and all the gear) become more and more refined it will be harder and harder to find the one thing that really makes a large impact (assuming I dont swap out my khorns for transistor radio speaker or the like). I have yet to make a change or set of changes that produce such superlatives so quickly thrown out around here as: OMG, Jaw Dropping, Incredible, Night and day, etc. I believe that is due to one of two things. Either I dont have the ear for it, or people around here tend to exaggerate the changes (good or bad) that things make. Maybe a bit of both.

For the record the best change I have made is still my room treatments. Next in line but a bit further back is a tie between:

Swapping out my Scott integrated LK48 for Craigs MK IIIs and my old 90s SS carver preamp. I suspect the phono stage might have been the problem here and my decent (not great) pre with Craigs killer work were actually two steps in the right direction.

Dumping that SS pre for the BBX.

Id be willing to bet that if I have swapped out the Scott for the MKIIIs AND the BBX at the same time it might have made for a close match between that and the room treatments. Due not being made of money, I could not do that in one fell swoop.

103 owners I am not ripping on you just trying to post my findings and generate some interesting dialog around heresomething that has been lacking as the weather grows warmer.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have yet to make a change or set of changes that produce such superlatives so quickly thrown out around here as: OMG, Jaw Dropping, Incredible, Night and day, etc. I believe that is due to one of two things. Either I dont have the ear for it, or people around here tend to exaggerate the changes (good or bad) that things make. Maybe a bit of both.

Audiophiles and BS exaggeration go hand in hand--that's part of its charm and helps makes it fun.

Nobody's going to be impressed by your judgment if you just spend $5000 and you describe the change as a very tiny difference that you can only discern when you are in the right mood with the right recording playing, and then you're not positive, it might be your imagination. Hence the human tendency to make wild claims.

And the wild claims can be for how bad something is, too. How many times have we heard that horns are "ear-bleeders" and yet no one has ever had blood gushing out of his ears from listening to music.

I seem to be making a bit of progress.

A VTA adjustment and lighter tracking weight (2.4g) gave it a nicer sound. Tried 2.3g but that did not seem to be a step in the right direction. I am going to live with this for a bit before I try a different settings on my networks. Don't want to change too many things at one time.

All in all I am more happy with the 103. Too bad I don't have an automatic record changer so I could load up a stack of LPs and quicken up the breaking period while I am at work [;)]

I seem to be making a bit of progress.

A VTA adjustment and lighter tracking weight (2.4g) gave it a nicer sound. Tried 2.3g but that did not seem to be a step in the right direction. I am going to live with this for a bit before I try a different settings on my networks. Don't want to change too many things at one time.

All in all I am more happy with the 103. Too bad I don't have an automatic record changer so I could load up a stack of LPs and quicken up the breaking period while I am at work [;)]

I do not think you need to make any changes to your networks. VTA, cartridge overhang (alignment), and tracking weight should provide keys to better performance.

Klipsch out.

Thank you Scott0527,

This project was the accumulation of a couple of other phono stages and a few thousand hrs of thought,

Yes it does look a little suicidal, but its intent is to do the extorindinary! Buy first looks most designers might think that the supply would sound very ugly but I assure you it is very transparent and very fast, very low noise, 66db of gain. One might have to pay 10,000$ for a product like this something I could never afford so I designed and built this one for a 1000$.

When I was building it I watched the movie Tora Tora Tora, In Harm's Way, and the Bismark over and over the famous words from Admiral Yamomato always come to mind when listening and looking at this project.

" I fear the only thing we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terriable will of resolve".

I am not alone here with a 900 joule power supply there is another commerically available giant but with out the transparentness of this project.

SET12