What the heck is this?

Its used for the tremolo on an organ. That horn is not meant for music reproduction, but rather music "production".

Makes sense now, since that thing predates the LaScala.

Think of it as an alternative to a Leslie. Instead of speaker horns twirling on the HF drivers axis, the flap rotates and gives a similar effect.

I always thought that one of the neatest uses of the Leslie on a guitar was Steven Still's use on Marrakesh Express, written by Graham Nash. Or I am remembering it from an altered state. [:(]

Bruce

There is lots of info on the web. Just google tremolo vibrato, amplitude frequency modulation leslie etc.

I gotta get work done, but losely speaking Tremolo is amplitude modulation and Vibrato is frequency modulation. The modulating vane probably produced mainly AM/tremolo. The Leslie speaker had a rotaing HF horn (and also a bass) that not only produced AM modulation as the source moved near and far, but had more FM/Vibrato caused by the dopler effect of moving source.

My understanding that these crude mechanical systems did not produce pure AM or FM. The rotating vanes also probably produced a bit of FM due to a small dopler effect.