Jubilee...

Coytee

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and another.

I'll add this...I was surprised by how the pic came out myself. As I said, both Mike & I thought it looked kind of cool.

Every now & then I'll "think" I see a picture and take it. Sometimes it comes out (like this one did) and other times, they don't.

post-15072-1381930094049_thumb.jpg

Coytee's photo helps account for the height in this case - the bass bin is sitting ABOVE the catwalk, apparently MUCH taller than those around it. It's a BIG speaker, guys. Would be BIG BIG overkill for my 20' x 21' room. But what the heck......[<:o)]

Chris

You'd have to ask Mike (Mikebse2a3), Larry (LarryC), Mr Legs (forget who it was) or perhaps Roy as they all seem to be looking at him. I noticed that and thought it was perhaps his finger...

I was focusing on trying to get a pic of the Jubilee before they booted us out OR decided taking pics inside the chamber was illegal.

As for any more thoughts on pics being photoshopped... you have some other witnesses there that can verify it existed as shown. Twas part of the 'price' we had to pay by being there a tad early [A]

Roy even played it for us while we were inside the chamber with the door closed. He asked us if we'd like to hear it and we're all like "uh... NOOOOOOO" (very sarcastic of course) He closed us in and who would have thought... he played his test tone sweeps. I was expecting some Freebird or something (stupid me). Little did I stop & think that he was in process of testing it so that was all he had to use. I don't recall if he started low & swept high, or vice versa. I think he went easy on us with the volume though.

DeanG.....yes But.....You can hear how PWK heard the Jubilee.....By DIY. Tinkering and back engineering is part of the fun.

I agree 100%. I have been following Gil's thread closely, so it's not out of the question that I might give it a try ... or two ... or three ... etc.:)

I heard a pair of these at 6Foot8's a couple of months back. I believe he said he had the first pair ever distributed. His were tri-amped with some big 'ole SS amps! The were in a room that was probably 25' x 25', and the back opened up to the kitchen. They are impressive, I tell ya!

Mike

What was Roy testing on those Jubes? Could it be those white braces in the rear part of the bass bin?

He was designing the passive crossover for it.

Btw, I think it's friggan hilarious that Roy played some test tones for you guys - only an engineer would ever do that, lol. Isn't it wierd/cool listening in the chamber though?

Trey and me once got into a discussion about how big is too big for a room. We both decided it's only too big if you can't get it into the room.:)

My thoughts as well!

lol...

Though I agree with the atitude, there is a point where you can get too big. There is a distance from the mouth of every speaker and every horn where the sound doesn't exist. It's gotta travel for a bit before it becomes a coherant wave front and will be percieved as a single sound source. So if you go too big there is a good chance that your listening position ends up in the 'dead zone'. Try sticking your head right in front of the 18" subs at the next concert you go to and notice how it doesn't sound right.

Wouldn't all that dust in the Jubilee interfere with a smooth frequency response?

Rumor has it that with it's awesome output, the Jubilee becomes self cleaning at anything above 3 1/2 watts. Those of us with moderate to high powered amps can have a continueously dusted Jubilee while those with SET's will be stuck with cleaning chores themselves.

(now before anyone bashes me, I said that thinking Parrot was a SET lover who picks on PP or SS, but I realize it might be the other way around)

"...there is a point where you can get too big. There is a distance from the mouth of every speaker and every horn where the sound doesn't exist. It's gotta travel for a bit before it becomes a coherant wave front and will be percieved as a single sound source. So if you go too big there is a good chance that your listening position ends up in the 'dead zone'...."

Very good. For example, if you are closer than 12 feet to a Klipschorn -- the bass doesn't sum properly. There is a problem too if the corners are too close together.

Wouldn't all that dust in the Jubilee interfere with a smooth frequency response?

Rumor has it that with it's awesome output, the Jubilee becomes self cleaning at anything above 3 1/2 watts. Those of us with moderate to high powered amps can have a continueously dusted Jubilee while those with SET's will be stuck with cleaning chores themselves.

(now before anyone bashes me, I said that thinking Parrot was a SET lover who picks on PP or SS, but I realize it might be the other way around)

Self cleaning at 3 1/2 watts hmmmm 300B SET is about 8wpc, 845 SET is a bout 30 wpc, and 211 at about 20 wpc [:D]

Now I believe those Luxman monoblocks we heard in Hope are capable of dusting an entire house [:D]