Heresy II Crossover Rebuild

BEC

The Heresy II crossover is built on the back of the plastic input terminal cup. I know that Chris Munson has an excellent replacement for these crossovers, but if you are interested in just a rebuild, here is a way that can be accomplished in a bit cleaner than factory way. The early ones like in this picture can be a rather challenging rebuild since things are pretty crowded up on the round cup.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819300843284_thumb.jpg

Anyway, for either type, you can remove the autotransformer and inductors and mount them on a board. The caps can then be replaced and a terminal strip can be installed on the new board. Then, you can just run a set of wires from the old input terminal cup to the new board.

Mount the new crossover with a couple of screws in the bottom or on the side of the cabinet and run the driver wires from the terminal strip.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819300844574_thumb.jpg

that square circuit board is the type I have/had.....I used Solen 68uF and 3 auricap 1.5

bypassed with a RelCap TFT 0.1 (don't asked), Solen 2.4 12awg and litz

.15 14awg inductors....rewired with Kimber TCX 15ga wire.....not the

neatest looking job but it was a first attempt.....sounds very good....

Al

post-16859-13819300854938_thumb.jpg

I wonder how many HII's have that circular cup with the mess on the back? I guess I'm thinking that the new board approach is almost mandatory for those, but for the later models with the nice PCB -- and if you're just going to do the caps -- it's not necessary. I also think if someone is going to go through the trouble -- Al has the right idea.:)

that square circuit board is the type I have/had.....I used Solen 68uF and 3 auricap 1.5

bypassed with a RelCap TFT 0.1 (don't asked), Solen 2.4 12awg and litz

.15 14awg inductors....rewired with Kimber TCX 15ga wire.....not the

neatest looking job but it was a first attempt.....sounds very good....

Al

i had a set of these from 1992 thru 1999. I replaced my xovers and mounted them up-side down under the top of the cabinet. I did'nt mount them on the bottom becaused I was worried about the magnetic feild strenth of the woofer. Not really sure if the concern was vailid.

I was worried about the magnetic field strength of the woofer.

Bob calls air cores "look'in for a core". That's definitely a downside with using them. I was so enamored with the work in the pic I hadn't really thought about that woofer magnet hanging over the board. I would be inclined to move it somewhere else!

I just did a Heresy II crossover rebuild using my circuit boards, but instead of the stack configuration, mounted the boards on standoffs side by side to a piece of MDO plywood. It turned out very nice, the customer was happy with the results, and not being a stack, it took up less room and fit better in the cabinet bottom. If anyone is interested in this option, I would be happy to help. The K-stack boards are very versatile.

Chris

tell me about the interaction between the woofer magnet and the

inductor ......is it harming the magnet or is it affecting the

cross-over ?......any idea what the distance be from the magnet to the

inductors to insure no interaction ?......thanks-Al

tell me about the interaction between the woofer magnet and the

inductor ......is it harming the magnet or is it affecting the

cross-over ?......any idea what the distance be from the magnet to the

inductors to insure no interaction ?......thanks-Al

I don't have any scientific evidence to support one position or the other.

I have noticed that most high end corssover providers go thru great pains to orient inductors in postions so they are 90 degrees out of phase of adjacent inductors, and illustrate their crossover offerings installed away from magnets, even if they have to split the crossover board and put half on one side and half on the other side of a nearby driver.

I don't think the issues is damage to the magnet.

thanks.....yes the crossover inductor positions are somewhat critical,

like with the extreme slope designs AL K offers.....although my

heresy's sound great as is, this is going to drive me crazy.....I am

going to pull the bindings post hatch and take a look at how close the

woofer magnet is to the big inductor....maybe with a screw driver or

something I can get an idea of the range of the magnetic field.....

Geez, BoB.  All that work and you didn't replace that tacky electrolytic...[:D]

I will have you know that is a brand new tacky electrolytic. And, no need for anything better in that place.

Bob

• Like 1