La Scala as a TV stand/center speaker?

BigBusa

That's what I've been thinking ...The La Scala looks to be about the correct height to place a TV on and the top looks large enough to hold a pretty big set. I think this would work perfectly!

Has anyone tried this yet?

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - coming soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

BigBusa--An older LS with Alnico magnet (the Alnicos are self shielded) mid and treble drivers should make a good TV stand, the stray magnetic fields from a newer LS with ferrite magnets will screwup the picture tube. I think the ferrite magneted woofer in either version is far enough away, and weak enough, that it won't bother the picture, I might be wrong though, see how close you can place the tv to your Cornwall's woofers to check. Don't worry about the bass; I used an Altec 605A, which has a great deal more bass than an LS, as a TV stand for a long time, no problem.

I once had a 50" "tabletop" RPTV positioned on top of two LaScalas, used as center channels, and it worked fine. However, since a single LaScala is only 2 feet wide,I do not think one would be big enough to place any reasonably sized TV on.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

I have La Scalas, and I'd be very leery (?leary?) about putting ANY sensitive electronics on top of them.

At enthusiastic levels (I checked out of curiousity, and my Radio Shack SPL meter measured peaks of 118dB and continuous 105 - 108dB on my couch 10 feet away from the speakers while playing the Stones' Stripped album this morning before leaving for the office) my Scalas vibrate so badly that anything sitting on top of them would get shaken to death in no short order. They're on a tile floor, and sometimes they "walk" a few feet when I'm playing something with a lot of high output midbass.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray, 118db! pretty darn loud! I drove a pair at 110db once and that was loud enough for me. I believe I was using a old SAE power amp at the time. I think today I would slap in a pair of ear plugs to see just how loud my system would get- no point in wasting your ears in the name of loudness! How'd the neighbors like the sound?

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?

WHAT? I'M SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU....

but seriously, sometimes (geez, this is embarassing, I'm 47 years old, I'm supposed to be a responsible adult) I like to crank stuff up so it feels like I'm at a concert. Ya see, a long time ago (think it was when I went to see ELP at the Rensselaer arena in Troy back in 1974) I realized that if you wear earplugs, everything sounds a lot better. Yeah, I know, it protects your hearing and all that, but the reason I wear them is I think the sound systems at most concerts, 'cept maybe the Dead, are turned up so high that my ears distort. Putting in the foam earplugs designed for sound attenuation (available at your local neighborhood gun store) makes everything sound a LOT better, but you still feel the impact of the sound.

So, when I'm home and the wife, daughter and two year old are out someplace, and I want to relive my exuberent youth, I, er, well, uh, I put in the earplugs and crank the La Scalas up to the point where I feel the sound hitting my chest, just like it does in the New Haven Colosium when *NSYNC was there last.

Okay, I admit it, I'm totally over the deep end. Call for help, Ma, he's puttin' in them plugs again...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray I love the "stripped" album too!

If I can find a La Scala I'm going to grab it and try using it as a tv stand. I won't be turning my HT system up loud enough to shake the TV apart. Especially, center channel volume. I unfortunately, live in an apt complex where I cannot partake in concert level volumes. cwm2.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-08-2001 at 08:54 PM

Ray - Your earlier post about achieving concert levels before heading to work inspired me to play a bit this afternoon. Home alone (wife's afraid to leave me alone with this stuff very long Smile.gif), I put on a 10-year old Social Distortion CD, busted out the ol' SPL meter, and let the carnage begin. I found I'm pretty chicken when it comes to cranking it (mostly for fear of the neighbors wrath). I stopped at 105db continuous, measured about 8ft from the speakers, and it had my heart pounding.

My Denon/Acurus amp combo was at 00 on the volume meter (another 12 to go still) and the Chorus/Velodyne sub were begging for more. (They were not, however, vibrating, furiously or otherwise.) It was quite cool, I must say. And if anyone else has Denon and is wondering if the volume display (in db) is accurate, I found it was. When I cranked it back to -30db from 00, the SPL meter read 75db!!

Thanks, Ray, for inspiring me!!

Doug

------------------

Denon AVR-3300

Acurus A200x3

NAD 7155 Receiver Pioneer PD-F19 CD Changer

Sony CDP-C8ESD CD Changer

Denon 3000 DVD

Toshiba M784 VCR

B&O Beogram 1800 TT

Klipsch Chorus

Klipsch KV-3 Center

Klipsch SS-1 Surround

Klipsch KG4

Klipsch KG3

Klipsch Forte (2pr)

Velodyne CT120 Sub

Sony KP-43T75 RPTV

Monster HTS2000

AudioQuest Copperhead Interconnects

AudioQuest Slate Speaker Wire

Various other interconnects/cables

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-10-2001 at 03:25 PM

As you can see I've been using my center channel Belle for the tv. I have had had no problems with shielding or such. I however braced the speaker with a couple of 2x4's as recommended by Trey. I have cranked them up on occasion without any problems, but the center runs 6db below the K-horns in my setup....Rock on

Mac that looks good. Is the la scala shorter than the belle? I envisioned my tv on top of a la scala a tad lower than what you pic shows.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

Macklipsch,

No, La Scala and Belle have two different bass horns - La Scala is bi-fold, Belle is tri-fold. Midrange horns are different due to different cabinet dimensions. La Scala and Belle are about the same height (within 1/8th of an inch) but Belle is SIGNIFICANTLY wider and less deep.

Per Klipsch site:

Belle: DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 35.625" (90.5cm) x 30.125" (76.5cm) x 18.75" (47.6cm)

La Scala: DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 35.5" (90.17cm) x 23.75" (60.33cm) x 24.5" (62.23cm)

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I've had the same experience as Ray at rock concerts.

I hear distortion which I first thought was the PA system.

Earplugs are easy to fabricate on the spot from tissue and saliva.

In my experience, the distortion was lowered. Must have been the human microphones overloading.

The other plus is that our hearing is protected to allow years of good listening.

Gil