matching cornwalls

Scubadj

Just want to say hello to everyone here. I've been reading the forum for a couple of months and have now decided to post something. I've owned a pair of Cornwalls (#'s 17S353 & 17S354) since 1978. I love them and would never part with them. I am in the process of building a home theatre in my basement - should be about 16'x24' when (if?) I finish it - my son has his doubts. I have been using the same equipment for a long time. I still use a Pioneer SX1050 receiver I bought in 1976. I have now been given permission from my wife (so what if she was half asleep when I asked) to upgrade. I have my eyes on some Heresys for the surrounds. Here are a few questions -

Should my Heresys be circa 1978 like the Cornwalls or can I use any Heresys as long as they are not the IIs? I am thinking of using a C-7 for the center but I've seen RC-7 also. Any thoughts on these two.

Thanks for any info - hope the post isn't too long or the questions too basic.

Don

scuba, i think the C7 matches up well w/ my cornwalls & klf-30s all together. though the rc-7 matches well to the corns in loudness (98db sensitivity) i think you'd get a better voice/timbre match w/ the C7 but I haven't heard them together.

heresy & academy match well w/ corns too. in case you're using a tube tv, the heresy's not magnetically shielded but the academy as well as the others are.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-08-2001 at 05:04 PM

Don,

The best tone/timbre matches that I've heard as Cornwall centers are; another Cornwall (low spousal acceptance), a Heresy (requires space too), an Academy (hard to find and can be costly) and the C-7. I used a C-7 with good results until I found an Academy at a good price. The Academy is a wonderful performer with the Cornwall I's, they're just hard to find and often too costly. Haven't heard the RC-7 yet. There's also a member of this board that uses a single Belle for a center. As to Heresy's for rear, I would definitely try to find a pair that matched closely to the vintage of my Cornwalls. Should not be a problem finding mid-late 70's Heresy's. With patience and lots of searches, you'll find all that you need.

Good luck in your pursuits.

"Good Sound Is A Balance Of Compromises"

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-08-2001 at 07:15 PM

Heresys are certainly a viable choice for center and rear to go with your Cornwalls. Timber match will be about as good as you can get short of another Cornwall. Alternative centers in order of timbre match are Academy, KV-4 and KLF-C7. They are close, but not perfect. IMHO anything else is not a good match.

If you choose Heresys, just about any except the last few years production (around 1984 when they put in the K-53-K squawker) should provide a good timbre match. They all have K-55-V squawker and K-77 or K-77-M tweeter tike Cornwall. You might want to get the exact match on the tweeter. The K-77-M was used in later models and is supposed to have 2 to 3 dB better response above about 12 kHz. But I cannot tell the difference listening to them.

Only timbre difference you may hear will probably be due to the difference in crossover to the woofer, 600 Hz for Cornwall, 700 Hz for Heresy. Cornwall is a bit more efficient than Heresy, but that can be dealt with in the HT receiver/amp setup. Cornwall has a bit better low end response, of course.

If you use a Heresy for the center, using one with a woofer with an alnico magnet, 1974 or so and earlier, may help you avoid interference with your TV. The magnet circuits used in the woofers with alnico magnets resulted in less stray magnetic field than woofers with ceramic magnets.

I personally use a Heresy as my centre for Cornwall mains (also Heresy surrounds). They are all of the same vintage and the result is a beautiful seamless match. The C7 by all reports is a great center channel and will probably look cooler. It will, however, cost more and the match will not be quite as good as a Heresy.

Either way I think you'll be quite satisfied.

I wouldn't fret too much over having Heresy's of the same vintage as your surrounds. The fact is that if you had 5 identical speakers, the surrounds would have a different timbre from the fronts and center simply because of their placement difference in relation to your ears. The placement of the surrounds in regard to sound dispersion is much more important than having a matched set, IMHO. I use RS-3's with my Heresy's and they perform much better as surrounds than other speakers I have owned where all 5 speakers were identical. I believe that this is because of their design for sound dispersion as well as the fact that they are designed for, and I can fit them, on my side walls above ear level.

For an example of what I mean, simply listen to some pink noise through one of your Cornwalls while facing it, then, without otherwise moving, turn your head to the side. The timbre of the pink noise will change simply because you have changed the speakers location in relationship to your ears. The same thing applies to your surround speakers, and to a lesser extent, your center channel.

I hope this helps.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905