Carmina Burana - Best recording ??

HarleyMo

Any opinions on the best recording of Carmina Burana? I read that the Fischer-Dieskau, Jochum version was endorsed by the composer but dont know how the quality of the recording is. Since Im TT-less at the moment I would be looking for a CD version.

Thanks

Harley

i have a few copies but my favorite one is:

Carmina Burana

Beverly Hoch : soprano

Stanford Olsen : tenor

Mark Oswald : baritone

F.A.C.E. Treble Choir

Choeure de l'Orchestre symphonique de Montreal

Orchestre de Montreal

Charles Dutoit ; conductor

1997 The Decca record company

I do hope you find this copy and enjoy Flashorn

Here is Orff's favorite (in his lifetime, and there have been lots of recordings made since his death)... uncompressed mono from 1952, recorded by his hometown orchestra.

But are you looking for best performance or best sfx?

B00006L77F.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Composer: Carl OrffConductor: Eugen JochumOrchestra: Chorus and Orchestra of the Bavarian RadioLabel: Deutsche GrammophonAudio CD (January 14, 2003)Number of Discs: 2

Boy, you guys are sure missing the boat on Carmina Burana. I located this on Amazon and no Carl Orff collection would be complete without it. Babs only included In Turtina from Carmina Burana on this album, but really now, would you need any more?

post-17394-13819301960302_thumb.jpg

Im getting lots of great suggestions. I knew there was alot of recordings of it but even Babs (refraining from any comments towards her politics). Im looking for what everyone wants I think. A good guality recording that sounds good on our acurate Klipsch speakers balanced with a good performance. I think maybe Im just going to have to get a few copies and see which one I enjoy the most. Never ceases to amaze me at the vast knowledge and experience of music on this forum.

Thanks

Harley

I have the Dutch import on Phillips LP with Herbert Kegel and the Leipzig Radio Chorus and Radio Symphony Orchestra. I don't know if it is available on CD. I've heard it live more than recorded and can't say how this one stacks up. Maybe someone else has?