Juicy Music Peach Preamp for sale

Other than the caps being bounced apart during a UPS shipment down to Dee's place, which Dean and then you repaired...

That was the first time I ever used solder as glue instead of paint, what a hack job.:)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To achieve the power levels that they put out (assuming that the specs are somewhat accurate)

yes, they are accurate........

my 4430's require that much power, too

ton's of watts are lost in the passive crossover to make them ruler flat in response

Duke,

Even though your impedance load is difficult, your Crown keeps us just fine right? I am thinking the Dean is right at this point and I may need an, gulp, "audiophile" amplifier.

Here is why. I went to a B&W dealer and listened to a pair of 805S speakers. These are small bookshelf speakers. The listening room was probably 12' x 12'. I got up a few times and looked for the subwoofer but there was not one. They had these hooked up to an Arcam preamp and poweramp. The 805's do not have the tough impedance curve like the 801's.

My 801's are known for overpowering rooms with bass and even though mine have good bass response, it is not like the 805's. I feel like I need a subwoofer and when I listened to the 805's I didn't think that they needed one.

I also got an email from someone who has a pair of the 802D's and he said that his bass response improved dramatically when he replaced a high powered McIntosh poweramp with a certain other "Audiophile" brand amp. As much as I like the QSC, I don't think that it is going to outdo a McIntosh that has a similar power rating.

I learned this lesson about 12 years ago when I bought a "20 wpc" Rockford Fosgate car amp that outdid every "100 wpc" amp that I compared it to.

Thanks,

Chris

PS - Thanks to everyone for putting up with my B&W ramblings. When I get this all figured out I will be back to my K Horn project. Life was so much easier when I agonized over the differences in capacitors for weeks at a time, OK maybe not.

I went to a B&W forum and everyone can say what the salesperson at the audio store told them but if you post a really technical question you will be ignored.

Duke,

Even though your impedance load is difficult, your Crown keeps us just fine right? I am thinking the Dean is right at this point and I may need an, gulp, "audiophile" amplifier.

you can't predict system synergy, however you can look for compatibility problems with amplifier sensitivity, and output/input impedance matching..............

the K model handles tough loads like any good pro amp should

it has the Studio Reference front end , and a cheaper output section with fewer devices

i'm not saying this is the amp for you, as i would think the QSC would handle your BW's better than an "audiofile" amp

but ....you should be able to easily rent one locally to try out

i don't see an audiophile amplifier being a good match, unless you spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$ as most have cheaply made output sections compared to pro amps

"I am thinking the Dean is right at this point and I may need an, gulp, "audiophile" amplifier. " ====================== Quantity vs. Quality There is something pleasing about an enormous kick-butt gigantically powerful, party-hard, loud clean audio system. Hey, it's fun. There is ALSO something very pleasing about a system that can make you cry, or send chills down your spine with it's ability to reach out and suck you into the realism of the music. Often, this can be done with simplest and most minimal (not necessarily cheap) systems. Believe it or not, there ARE guys with 5 watts, an exquisite electronics chain, a meticulous source, and a single driver(!) who are in Audio Nirvana. Another form of fun. In my experience, and in my opinion, it's very rare that these two systems comprise the same gear. Get the "right" gear for the system you are trying to build. md

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to find the "right" gear. I measured today and I tend to listen at about 60 to 70 db about 90% of the time. What I am trying to do is find an amp that works well with the B&W's and will create a sound in my room as full as what I heard with the small 805's at all volumes.

I thought that the QSC's would do it because they work so well with the Klipsch but I don't think that they mate with the B&W's as well as other amps. I am not looking for huge volume, even though it seems that way with the power figures that I am looking for, it is just that these speakers are so different than what we are all used to. Now that I have had a taste of what these speakers can do, I feel compelled to chase it.

As far as the 5 watts, my Belles sounded mighty fine with a pair of Wright 3.5 SET's.

Chris

OK, Chris - here goes - so you're transactional on a daily basis.

From a litigator: keep the Peach . . . . . .. .

Mark's Peach is truly a unique unit.

Last week, I put my Marantz 8B aside, getting ready to send it to Craig for him to do "his thing," and it was if I had lost a friend. Mind you, 8Bs are one of those kind of "top 5 amps of all time" and I was so fortunate to stumble across a primo example, circa 1966, a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I put the 8B aside and have run multiple amps in my stable through the Peach - as a "replacement" in the meantime for my 8B. Dave noted my system. I value and appreciate the Peach so much that I run a shadowed two-channel - front and back - off of the same feed. I can also run a true center off of the Classe (or choose to run the rears in true 5.1) but I usually end up running the rears off of the Peach in the long run.

It was in this last week that I earned a new appreciation for my Peach because every amp I threw into the system sounded much better because of the Peach. As Dean has commented, he has been amazed at how good a Peach makes different amps sound. Well.......I agree.

Mark knows that I have true admiration for his Blueberry and Xtreme, but to my ears, I appreciate the Peach as much - if not even a little more. It has that special "something," which to me means all the positive tube qualities (detail, wide soundstage, wet) without a loss of detail or some darkness exhibited by some other tube preamps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my QSCs but I also realize that my Peach is the one jewel that will never leave my system.

Chris, you are a big boy and are free to go whatever direction you choose. I would certainly swap out to some nicer SS amps (i.e. Krell, Classe, etc.) before I sold my Peach. But.... your call.

Carl.

P.S. I ended up using the phono stage from my early 80s Luxman - and it sounds incredible . . . . . . . . If I were looking for a cheap phono stage, I would pick up a Luxman or a Nakamichi from the 80s - early 90s for cheap off of ebay and use the receiver only for the phono stage. You will be surprised.