McIntosh 2505/C-26 - any interest?

richieb

Before I go to AGon with this I thought I would see if anyone is

interested a Mc combo of MC2505 power amp and C-26 pre. Both recently

back from check-up from local 40 year Mc dealer. Both with wood cases

and Pan-Loc system. 2505 and case would be 7/10, C-26 is an honest

9/10. The pre is actually so nice that all the sales people were called

over to have a look when I brought them in. Not looking to make

any money, just return my investment, asking $900 will split shipping.

Since I can only log on to the forum about 10% of the time, post a

reply and I can give you a call. Thanks

Rich

I was not sure of the specs, so i looked them up. Posted here if anyone else needs them.

MC 2505 Stereo Power Amplifier

ELECTRICAL: 50w/ch. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.25dB). Distortion 0.25%. Noise and hum -90dB. Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Damping factor 10. Input impedance 200k. Input sensitivity 0.5v. Headphone impedance 4 to 600 ohms. Sentry Monitor.

FRONT PANEL: Glass panel. Illuminated. Power level meters (meters read 0 at 50w). Gain controls. Meter range sw: off, -20, -10 and 0. Speaker sw: on or off. Power sw: on or off. Headphone jack.

BACK PANEL: Output barrier strips. Audio inputs. AC outlet. Circuit breaker. Panloc mounting.

Size 5-7/16"H, 16"W and 13"D. Weight 38 lb. Sold from 1967-1977. Last retail price $549.00

Sorry I wasn't more informative. The 2505 is also equipped with

autoformers which some say is the best sounding Mc circuit. Have

just been listening to them with Cornwalls, they really sound pretty

darn good. Very neutral, solid sounding, great bass foundation with the

Corns, am I having a case of sellers remorse? I know I have had my

share of buyers remorse!

The MC2505 is a pretty "Big Blue Meter" McIntosh. The Vintage Museum seller BarryandSue is listing one right now on Ebay.

If this equipment has been checked out and serviced by a McIntosh dealer that's an added bonus fo sure. Keep your receipts if possible, there's a big difference between a reputable audio dealer and the commonly seen "checked out by my tech". I always have a vision in my mind of these "techs" but don't need to go there.

You should post some pictures, you might just find a buyer here on the forumn. This is a picture from barryandsue's auction. Price is already getting up there with lots of time left.

post-15692-13819302058442_thumb.jpg

Before I go to AGon with this I thought I would see if anyone is interested a Mc combo of MC2505 power amp and C-26 pre. Both recently back from check-up from local 40 year Mc dealer. Both with wood cases and Pan-Loc system. 2505 and case would be 7/10, C-26 is an honest 9/10. The pre is actually so nice that all the sales people were called over to have a look when I brought them in. Not looking to make any money, just return my investment, asking $900 will split shipping. Since I can only log on to the forum about 10% of the time, post a reply and I can give you a call. Thanks

Rich

Is It $900.00 for both or each????

The MC2505 is a pretty "Big Blue Meter" McIntosh. The Vintage Museum seller BarryandSue is listing one right now on Ebay.

If this equipment has been checked out and serviced by a McIntosh dealer that's an added bonus fo sure. Keep your receipts if possible, there's a big difference between a reputable audio dealer and the commonly seen "checked out by my tech". I always have a vision in my mind of these "techs" but don't need to go there.

You should post some pictures, you might just find a buyer here on the forumn. This is a picture from barryandsue's auction. Price is already getting up there with lots of time left.

That is sweeeeeet! You have to love those big blue meters. I have heard that the early McIntosh's have a nice warm sound. 50 wpc and Horns is a nice match.

Chris

900.00 for the 2505 and C-26 is a pretty good deal considering that's what I paid for mine three years ago and mine came without the case. Plus I had to replace the front glass on the C-26 because it was cracked. That alone cost over 100.00. That being said , the Macs are disconected now in favor of a Fisher X-100 integrated tube amp. I can't decide which I like better. Both set-ups sound great with the big ole horns.

For what my opinion is worth. I have been a "mac fiend" for a lot of years. The 2505 is one of the early 70's pieces. This is some of the best sounding SS stuff out there. There was 2 styles of the 2505. The early ones had beveled meters, that unit put out 50wpc at zero. The later units had flush meters and put out 50 wpc at +3. Any of the 70's pieces MC50, MC250, MC2100, MC2105, MC2300 has as close to a tube sound as you can get. Really any of the autoformer stuff is outstanding. Back in the 70's when there was still Mac clinics, Dick Evans of McIntosh did some work on my beveled meter 2505 i had at the time and said the reason for the change was to many people were bending the meter's needles on peaks, wether that was true or not, I don't know, just something i will never forget.

Jack