Any need for an external power amp?

bruschi54

I know this has been asked many a time. I currently have a pioneer 56txi receiver powering RF-35's, RC-35 (forsale and now I have an rc-7 on the way), and RS-25's in the back in a 5.1 config.

I use the 56txi in bi-amp mode for the rf-35's. With the addition of the rc-7, I wonder if a power amp would make any improvement? Either for the mains or the center? The receiver is 44 pounds and seems to have a nice amp section. ...

Any thoughts or experience?

I think it depends on the size of your room and the acoustical environment. IMO, if you had a smaller HT (300 sq ft or less with 8 foot ceilings) your AVR would be fine. In a larger room I can see where Amplification could add to the experience.

Right now I am contemplating getting a 2 channel amp for my mains... [:^)]

bruschi54

Man, you must have some prophetic intellect! I recently ordered a Yamaha RX-V1600 and I'm asking myself the very same question. I own a Yamaha MX-830 power amp which I currently use with my Yamaha RX-V1400. I have a pair of Klipsch RP-3's w/ RC-35 for center. I hate the thought of retiring my power amp simply because I purchased a new front end. Does anyone have an educated reason why I shuld retire "Old Ironside" (MX-830)?