Can playing a new type of CD make your system improve sound quality?

Last week, I received the newest catalog from Audio Advisor... some of the things marketed to "real audiophiles" is downright laughable. I was especially amazed by the little chunks of myrtle wood with a "v-groove" in each to get our cables up iff the floor... all the usual bologna about the density of the myrtle, and a load of stuff about resonance.

They probably even sell some! At sixty-three bucks a "set" (of not all that may, as I recall).

But not to me, I rather ike the way my system sounds with the speakers casually snaking across the floor... I'm sure the Saltillo Tile contributes greatly to the overall sound... 'specially when I play my Cuban tunes!

I've got the very disk in question! This is simply an excercise in psycho-accoustics.

The answer is: after hearing a bunch of noise, any subsequent music definitely sounds better - hence, the "magic".

The break-in track is handy for driving everyone completely nuts, but by facing the speakers face-to-face (at each other) to cancel out what you can, the motors will get excercized. Some here do not believe that any so-called "break-in" occurs or is otherwise required. However, for the record I am not one of them - but I'm not going to argue about it anymore.

There IS an awesome German wind band piece on the XLO cd with a pipe organ with the stops out on it. The power behind the pipe organ is literally astonishing!

The British mag "Hi-Fi and Record Review" test disks are much, much better as test disks, as well as being just downright fun to listen to. It seems the Brits prefer some dynamics with their tea. They really shine on an all-horn system!

DM