ebay question - how is this possible?

Guest " "

Was winning an auction at 123.00 with 12 seconds left.

My reserve bid was 150.00

As I was checking my status, and preparing to add more bucks (I was still winning at 123.00), the auction ended with all bids cancelled. did not think it was even possible to do this with if less than 12 hours remained.

I won a related item from this seller 6 minutes earlier...a pair of 2 inch JBL throat adaptors for 33 bucks. Maybe the seller is p...sd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190004473955&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

well, I don't know for sure how cancelling bids works, but I know that a seller can end an auction up to and including the last second. If the seller does this and ends early, there has to be a reason, like "item no longer available" or other such explanation. This action is indicated on the item page.

In this case, there is no explanation as to why bids were cancelled. Don't know what to make of that.

I did notice that this seller does have some negative feedback.

this wasn't a snipe...the seller cancelled all bids in the last 12 seconds.

didn't think that was even possible during the last 12 hours.

An auction can be canceled at any time. eBay has a few preselected notations explaining why the seller canceled (No longer available, Item lost or broken, Mistake in the reserve price etc.). There is no option for selecting "Seller got scared he wouldn't get his price so he pulled the auction! These options are left open as something truly could happen, a mistake could have been made or the seller may also have it available in their local marketplace. Although there is abuse of the system, there is no way eBay could keep as many sellers if they did not allow the cancellation options for those times when it is really true!

I believe the 12 hour rule pertains to CHANGING your listing. Anyone can pull their auction at any time. eBay certainly frowns upon it and if the Seller has a history of continually abusing this feature, they can take whatever action they deem to be appropriate.

Sorry they pulled this one on you.

eBay certainly frowns upon it and if the Seller has a history of continually abusing this feature, they can take whatever action they deem to be appropriate.

what are you saying ..??

E-Pay ....really cares about the ....Buyer...?/

gimme a break.....[:^)] ..... the only thing they care about is the LISTING FEE and FINAL VALUE

eBay certainly frowns upon it and if the Seller has a history of continually abusing this feature, they can take whatever action they deem to be appropriate.

what are you saying ..??

E-Pay ....really cares about the ....Buyer...?/

gimme a break.....[:^)] ..... the only thing they care about is the LISTING FEE and FINAL VALUE

Ebay's just a business trying to make a reasonable profit for it's shareholders. What are they supposed to care about? That everybody gets the lowest possible price on the all the items they are bidding on? It's not the State of New York remember.[:)]

I was winning an auction on two Western Electric Theater Amps labeled Ballantyne for $250. The guy pulled the auction in the last 30 seconds : ( I'm sure I could have protested but what good is a pissed seller : (

I was winning an auction on two Western Electric Theater Amps labeled Ballantyne for $250. The guy pulled the auction in the last 30 seconds : ( I'm sure I could have protested but what good is a pissed seller : (

I spoke to ebay about this last night.

Ebay calls this avoiding reserve listing fee's.

The practice is one of cancelling bids at the end of the auction with one of the generic justifications like the item is broken, no longer available for sale, error in the listing, etc.

If reported, all ebay will do is monitor the seller based on reported violations in this category, specificlly.

Gets better and better.

Seller managed to qualify for 3 policy infractions. Ebay was very helpful in helping identify all the policy violations.

Current status is the seller has decided not to provide me with payment instructions for the item I did win, the pair of JBL 2 inch throats at for the horns in question at 33 bucks.

Keep using E-spay, gets worse all the time, costs more all the time, more scammers , more cancelled items, great way to do business...............Works for some, BS to others..........Buyer Beware............

Thank you I will. Scams and difficult sellers can be spotted in two seconds by anybody with a tiny bit of common sense. And the selling fees are usually more than offset by the higher sale price you'll receive by exposing your item to the national and/or world market.

I agree, Buyer Beware. Take responsibility for not being stupid with your money. That applies to everything you buy. My local car dealer was still trying to sell me (and I mean a hard sell) $250 undercoating and some kind of $500 teflon clear coating when I bought my last car. I thought that scam played itself out years ago.

Let's get a clear picture here, E-bay is there to make money period, it's not for the seller, it's not for the buyer, it's there for the profit for E-bay. E-bay doesn't care if the seller makes money, or the buyer saves money, just what fees they put in their pockets, it's all profit to them........................

I spoke to ebay about this last night. Ebay calls this avoiding reserve listing fee's. The practice is one of cancelling bids at the end of the auction with one of the generic justifications like the item is broken, no longer available for sale, error in the listing, etc. If reported, all ebay will do is monitor the seller based on reported violations in this category, specificlly.

The amp would have been a steal at that price and if they were mine perhaps I would have pulled the auciton as wel but then again I would have had a reserve price.

I have had more problems with audiogon sellers than ebay.

I love ebay it has allowed me to purchase CDs DVDs and other items that I never thought I would find nevermind own. I have completed only about 20 auctions and only had issues with one which was resolved quickly and painlessly. EBAY ROCKS if you don't get a bunk seller.

Let's get a clear picture here, E-bay is there to make money period, it's not for the seller, it's not for the buyer, it's there for the profit for E-bay. E-bay doesn't care if the seller makes money, or the buyer saves money, just what fees they put in their pockets, it's all profit to them........................

Good for them! I (and millions like me) don't care how much money Ebay makes nor do I care if they give hoot about the buyer or the seller. What I do care about is the ability to sell my Marantz 8B for $2000.00 to some guy in California instead of selling it for $500 to the local garage sale scrounger. I also care about being able to find a 1973 pair of Walnut Oil Heresy's with Pie logos and silver gray grill cloth from some dude in Colorado, when I live in Ohio. That's a service they provide, for a fee, better than anyone else at the moment.

Keep using E-spay, gets worse all the time, costs more all the time, more scammers , more cancelled items, great way to do business...............Works for some, BS to others..........Buyer Beware............

There are scammers involved with every method of selling any item anywhere in the world. You have to take the time to check out the person you are wanting to send money to in hopes that he will send you the item you will be paying him for. Read the feedback and see what people have said about the seller BEFORE you place your bid. If he has questionable feedback, or no track record yet, stay away or possibly suffer the consequences, but don't be surprised if the guy rips you off.

Ebay has gotten a bad reputation from people bad mouthing them because of a bad transaction they were involved in, or just by people talking about horror stories they heard about but which did not involve them. I don't believe the items bought and sold on ebay are being sold by eBay themselves so why bad mouth eBay. Bad mouth the seller, or the buyer but not eBay.

I sell and buy on eBay and I'm an honest seller, a good seller and my 500+ 100% positive feedback speaks for itself, and I'm small time compared to most other sellers with great feedback. Without eBay, I wouldn't have been able to find the items I have bought, nor would I have been able to find a buyer half way across the world for an item I have for sale. For the fees they charge, it's worth it to me or I couldn't make the sale. People don't talk about the great transactions they've had on eBay, but they sure do about the bad ones, and I'll bet that one bad one could have been avoided if the buyer checked out the seller first and stayed away if his feedback was questionable. Too often we just have to get that item no matter what the guys feedback says, instead of taking the time to make a sound decision of whether this one is worth it or not, or should I just let it go and wait for another to come along, because one will eventually.

Just my .02 worth. [:P]

Look I didn't start the thread I just added my comments, like them or not. My comments are intended for the rip-offs who lurk on E-bay, and all you snipers, who in the end ruin it for everyone else. Everytime I consider E-bay, I end up buying NEW, thanks E-bay. Many people use and like E-bay, and that's great, and I'm happy for you, and spend your money wherever you choose, that's your right, as long as it works for you, what do you care what I think? E-Bay is not a free service, it is a made for profit company, Buyer, Seller, it doesn't matter, profit matters, that was the only point I was trying to make. Members sell equipment on this forum everyday, do they charge you for using the forum, do they take a percentage of the sale price? Don't tell me it's an auction, it's not, never seen a time limit end an auction.

Some people really like E-bay, some people don't..............As long as E-bays threads appear on this forum, there will be pro's and con's about it's use, that's the way it is on an open forum.