"Shrek"

Lone Palm

Just saw Shrek. Great movie for entire family! Gotta problem with it though. The dts version is letter boxed. This means cropped. This whole thing was done on a computer monitor. This means the whole frame is actually the tv screen version. this is only DD5.1. For superior audio you have to watch a cropped version. Ain't this a ripoff!

hmmm... first of all i HATED shrek. ok now to helping... Smile.gif

i have NEVER heard of that. that is crazy. kinda defeats teh purpose of DTS... it makes your mobvie experience the best it can be and then they cut out half of hte picture! that is stupid!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Perhaps if they talked about money and/or how much they spent on stuff during the movie you'd have liked it? Smile.gif

------------------

Don't count on me, to let you know when.....

Don't count on me, I'll do it again.

Don't count on me, it's the point you're missing.

Don't count on me, cause I'm not listening.

People, People. Let us remember the reason fiction movies are made in the first place......entertainment. Were you entertained? I saw this movie with my family - let me start with my kids impression: they loved it, and watched it several times at their request.....mission accomplished. Next, my impression: Very entertaining (misssion accomplished again), and the "adult" jokes and references were adult enough where only adults and adolescents were old enough to understand them - no harm done. Overall, I thought it was an great movie. Did I rent it for the sound quality? No. If I wanted sound quality I would have put in T2, Matrix or some other high tech movie that you expect great sound from. DD 5.1 is not so bad either, maybe you need a better sound system...... I do agree that widescreen is better than letterbox, but again, sound should not be your major interest when there is a much higher level of message being sent to you from the writers, producers and directors.

See ya!

Lone Palm,

You said:

"The dts version is letter boxed. This means cropped. This whole thing was done on a computer monitor. This means the whole frame is actually the tv screen version. this is only DD5.1. For superior audio you have to watch a cropped version. Ain't this a ripoff!"

Even if a feature film is created entirely on a computer it can use an aspect ratio different than it's monitor's sceen. Letterboxed screens (16:9 the ratio of 35mm film and HDTV) actually show the ENTIRE frame as the film maker intended...as opposed to the 4:3 ratio of your standard TV or computer monitor. In fact...when you watch a feature film on your TV that is NOT letterboxed...THAT is the picture that is being cropped from it's original framing.

abhernan,

You said:

"...... I do agree that widescreen is better than letterbox..."

Widescreen and letterboxed (which refer to the 16:9 format ratio) are the SAME.

BTW...I give "Shrek" two thumbs up!

Dave

DLUngurait is 100% correct, and took the words right out my mouth. All of the animation and modeling was done in a 16:9 aspect ration, whether the computer they did it on had a 4:3 screen or not it doesn't matter, as long as when its rendered it is in 16:9 it will go to film, or cassette in that way.

and technically letterbox'd movies are not cropped, 4:3 moves are. that black space is there because there is no video information for you too see in the first place. once you watch a movie in 4:3, then yes the edges are "cropped" off. you are loosing information and visuals that you were oringinally intended to see, and part of the creators original message. alot can be lost when a movie is seen in 4:3.

Ungurait, I always watch films in the widescreen version. I beleive one should see the film as intended.

But the "widescreen" version of Shrek is actually a cropped version. In other words if you saw this film in the theatre you saw only a piece of it. The full frame version is 4:3. The same is true with A BUG'S LIFE and TOY STORY.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i went to my g/f's house today and rewatched it. it is not as bad as i made myself think it was Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Tell me this. In the opening scene in the 4:3 version I see the whole book. In the wide screen version the top and bottom of the book is hidden by the black bars. Is this not cropped? Some of the frame is missing. toddvj The movie screen is definately rectangular. So in the theatre one sees a cropped version. Total Recall was shot in 4:3. Got info from Stereo Reveiw.

i can not wait for Monsters Inc. to come out on DVD. That will be awesome, had some of the best, no maybe THE best, graphics i had ever seen, just look at his fur, every hair was unique. that movie rocked@!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I agree with Marshal, Shrek was OK, but the graphics and story were better in Monsters, INC. I liked this movie a lot better. I also heard that there were 5.7 million doors in the "Door Vault" scene, all individualy created. Also, another fact that may blow you away is that in Monsters, INC., EVERY FRAME took 6-90 HOURS to render!! When there are 24 frames a second, think about that!! Movies could take a year to render!! I also liked the "For the Brids"- short before the movie. Definitly better than Shrek. Smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I recently received "Shrek" on DVD for Xmas so I thought I would do a simple test on the opening shot of the book to see whether the Widescreen version or the Full Screen version is cropped.

The framing from top to bottom screen is identical in both versions. The framing of the Full Screen version has been panned to the right cropping the left side of the frame. This shot of the storybook is a very slow zoom in so it is important to compare the same frame...I chose the last frame before Shrek's hand enters the frame to rip out the page as my frame for this test. There were 4 or 5 letter spaces on the left side of the storybook the were cropped out of the Full Screen version.

Dave