lets talk about Sony ES for a minute....

Clarence

I have been the NAD flag waver, but my 7100 has been acting a bit funny. I think the tuner is getting ready to go. It loses it's presets at random times, and reverts to the strongest local channel

I have been looking to build a NAD seperate system, but my experience with NAD has not been very positive so far. I bought a NAD 5100 cd, arrived dead, a 7220pe, that arrived dead, and now my 7100 is acting up.

I have always owned Sony gear, and was considering moving to an older ES reciever and cdp. I already have many sony components, and it would be a logical move. What do you guys use from the es line? any recommmendations on a pre/power/cdp combo? are the receivers highly regarded? any I should stay away from?

Thanks for the help!

C

Clarence, you should have bought that Sony reciever I had for sale, but you didn't. I have nothing but good to say on Sony. I wish I had spent the extra money and bought a Sony ES reciever. The ES line are good quality consumer line, built heavier than the normal line. My CDP is XA1 ES, I bought 10 years ago when it first came out, spent good money for it, single play, don't really like the 5 disc players, no reason, just don't, never skips, always plays, no problems at all. Would buy another without hesitation.

My reciever is a Sony, only regret, should have coughed up the extra money for ES line, and my DVD player is a Sony N5775 v, not Es, but great DVD player, plays burned DVD's no problem, nice sound, great picture. That's my story, hope it is some help. I like Sony, no reason not to, always works, fair pricing, and believe it or not, back in the 70's Sony was a top line company, still is ...............................

What's up with that picture?................That's not George Reeves...........................

please do elaborate.

All I require are

1. a remote

2. SS

3. I would like to be done with my 2 channel rig for $600 or under

4. I dont have a problem buying used.

Components would be a plus, but I will consider a reciever and cd, but I must have a tuner. I just want everything to match.

I will be running my H3's and eventually Cornwalls with this purchase. I will also be using a KSW12 sub, to round out the bottom end.

Thanks for your help!

I am not into remotes; so I cannot comment on them. Never been a priority for music reproduction.

Just to brainstorm a few ideas Some I havbe heard; some just read about.

NEW

Outlaw reciver

Cambridge Audio http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1156025899

Vintage

70s Marantz

NAD Integrated http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1157672411

Rotel

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1158418165

Creek

Arcam

My only experience with Sony ES is my DVP-NS3100ES DVD/SACD player. I bought it about 2 months ago and I am extremely happy with it. It has an excellent build quality and its' silver aluminum faceplate matches my Pioneer SX-980 receiver very nicely. SACD's and redbook CD's sound very,very good on it. Plus the video quality is fantastic. I only am using the component video outputs right now, but it is ready for the future with HDMI output. The best digital player I have owned in the past was the Pioneer Elite DV-45A and the ES is better in every way to me. The only thing it doesn't have I wish it did is DVD Audio playback but I have many more SACD's anyways.

SONY - DVP-NS3100ES DVD,CD,SACD player with digital video output and upconversion

I have 2 SCD-C555ES SACD players. I think they are great sounding and well built units.

My HT receiver is a DA5ES and it does HT and music DVDs great but can't hold a candle to my little Scott 299b for music. Not even close. Actually, both my wife and I were very disappointed when we bought it to replace my old Kenwood KR9600 receiver which also blew it away for 2-channel listening.

The ES line seems to be built extremely well, just don't expect the receivers to do a great job with 2-channel music compared to a good vintage tube or SS amp.

I have 2 SCD-C555ES SACD players. I think they are great sounding and well built units.

My HT receiver is a DA5ES and it does HT and music DVDs great but can't hold a candle to my little Scott 299b for music.

Not even close. Actually, both my wife and I were very

disappointed when we bought it to replace my old Kenwood KR9600

receiver which also blew it away for 2-channel listening.

The ES line seems to be built extremely well, just don't expect the

receivers to do a great job with 2-channel music compared to a good

vintage tube or SS amp.

Living with a Scott should be at least a short term investigation for any 3 way Klipsch speaker owner.

I have a Sony STA DR5000ES receiver. You can get one of these on Audiogon in your price range. It is a great digitally amplified receiver that really performs, but I did notice that A/B'ing it with my Peach, the Peach had better separation, soundstage, etc. The Peach is really in a completely different league than the Sony, but if you can get one they are very good receivers.

Chris

My HT receiver is a DA5ES and it does HT and music DVDs great but can't hold a candle to my little Scott 299b for music. Not even close. Actually, both my wife and I were very disappointed when we bought it to replace my old Kenwood KR9600 receiver which also blew it away for 2-channel listening.

The ES line seems to be built extremely well, just don't expect the receivers to do a great job with 2-channel music compared to a good vintage tube or SS amp.

I have to agree with that for sure. I have had many good HT receivers including Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer Elite and while they were all great for movies/music DVD's, none of them were as good as my vintage SS receiver for music. I would say that the Denon AVR-3801 was the best HT receiver I have had with 2 channel music though.

I have been looking to build a NAD seperate system, but my experience with NAD has not been very positive so far. I bought a NAD 5100 cd, arrived dead, a 7220pe, that arrived dead, and now my 7100 is acting up.

I would get another NAD. With three problematic units in a row, your chances of getting yet another fourth bad one are slim.

I just saw a Sony STR DA5000ES go for $420 on ebay. It was new. That is a steal.

Here is a sweet one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160011104761&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX

A Peach is much better but in this price range you will be hard pressed to find a better unit. Digital amplification works very well with Klipsch too. The Sony also has a Phono input. Nice touch.

Chris

please do elaborate.

All I require are

1. a remote

2. SS

3. I would like to be done with my 2 channel rig for $600 or under

4. I dont have a problem buying used.

Components would be a plus, but I will consider a reciever and cd, but I must have a tuner. I just want everything to match.

I will be running my H3's and eventually Cornwalls with this purchase. I will also be using a KSW12 sub, to round out the bottom end.

Thanks for your help!

I have a near new Harmon Kardon HK3480 receiver FS. It's a great receiver with plenty of power, 120 watts. I have the factory box, manual and remote. It is a re-furb that I got directly from Harmon and it works flawlessly! $225 plus shipping.

Mark

Excellent ideas here, thanks guys. I will look into that HK, do they make CDP's as well?

Parrot I have been looking for a NAD 7600, but they are few and far between, and then I run into the CDP issue...

I recently saw a thread on Adcom, and I like the vintage looks, like the NAD. Any other Vintage SS (preferably black face, I just cant get into the Silver Faced Boat Anchors...) ideas?

C

The Sony ES all-in-one unit I had, the AVD-S500ES, was decent, but ultimately not involving enough. Nothing bad I could really put my finger on specifically, but it didn't bring me joy. The great convenience of it wasn't sufficient.

• 1 month later...

Hi Clarence,

I hear you had a Nad 5100 cd player.

I recently bought one that works fine but has a replacement remote control that can't be used to change the volume on the variable line out. I was wondering, do you still have the remote to your dead one? I'd give you a reasonable price for it...

If not, do you know the model number for the remote?

Thanks,

Rudy.

Eavesdropper@casema.nl

The Sony ES all-in-one unit I had, the AVD-S500ES, was decent, but ultimately not involving enough. Nothing bad I could really put my finger on specifically, but it didn't bring me joy. The great convenience of it wasn't sufficient.

same here. I had one for several years. It worked well for dual pupose HT and 2 channel. It is a digital amp and put off no heat, which was nice for my HT set up. Over time it didn't hold my interest.

TommyK