Picture Thread: Exotic Original Veneers/Heritage Rarities...

Chris Elm

Buckster...

A post from December 2002 by HDBRBuilder might shed some light on the rarer finishes...

in 7 years, I saw maybe 5 pairs in Teak, 15 in ebony...6 or 7 in zebrawood...cherry was not very common(although it has had a recent run in popularity...for now at least...but for some reason the trend in it at this time is to have lots of sapmarks or "sugar-lines" showing...something no self-respecting classic furnituremaker ever wanted in his final result!!)...the vast majority of speakers with exotic veneers were of rosewood...a couple of hundred pairs or so while I was there...BTW...cherry isn't an exotic...it is a native. We have lots of native "black cherry" on our land. Pearwood is a pretty thing...but exceedingly rare in furniture applications, I am sad to say! I also like Sassafras wood, black locust(very hard!!!), pecan, and even hickory veneers! We did up a pair or two k-horns out of pecan while I was there...quite beautiful!! Now that a bit of recently cut blight resistant native American chestnut is slowly becoming available, I would love to see some out of it!! NO...the blight didn't get em all...and a couple of decades ago it was "discovered" that there were a few stands of them around that had naturally been blight resistant...and the AFA(American Forestry Assoc.) began offering up nuts from these for planting...YES....one of the most beautiful woods to ever grace the forests of North America is on the way back!!!!!! Thank God!!

Rosewood is probably the most popular of the exotics because it can be beautiful and still go with a variety of room decor...without ever being overly "loud" like zebrawood is. Ebony tends to be so damned dark leaning towards black, that one may as well just get black speakers!! LOL! BTW...the favorite wood for k-horns among the employees was always rosewood!! We hated working with it...those splinters really hurt!!...but we all loved the results!!

All these pics are great, but why is no one emailing them to me for use on our website? Do you not want them on there?

Amy,

My daughter (and her camera) just got back from the beach. She wants me to take her shopping tomorrow so I'll make her take pictures first![6]

You'll have pics of my corns by tomorrow evening. I promise.[:D]

Guys,

Hopefully this is not a stupid question.I dont know anythng about wood,but I ve never seen anything look so good lke the rosewood h-horn..the question is..are those real wood and its natural color? or is it veneer? let say,Can I buy a really good looking veneer(like the picture) and have my local wood worker glue them on my klipsch?..thanks

• Like 1

those are veneered as realwood has irregularities that make it near impossible to map each and every speaker hence this is where baltic birch grade a and mdf come where consistancy is almost the same from batch to batch.

Also rosewood is very cost ineffective as its probably 100 dollars for a 3" by 3 foot by 3/4 inch deep piece of wood.

Again Thanx Chris, that little write-up was neat. All I can say is WoW, some fine examples of the Heritage Line, and that Rosewood is beautiful. I realize with your eyes closed, getting into the music, what the speaker is covered in means nothing, but when they're open, the finish is important to me, and few speaker companies products show off as well as Klipsch, just another reason, Why Klipsch..........................

Rosewood Khorns and Mahogany Heresy 2's good start for home theatre, or maybe I should look at Mahogany Khorns, or maybe Oak would be.....................