Lazy Susan for Remotes

JJkizak

I have a nice one I got at Wal-Mart at Christmas time. It is cherry wood and will hold 6-8 remotes depending on thickness. It is really nice looking.! They only cost like $8 but the only problem is you can only get them around Christmas. They are sold in the section they always have with pre-wrapped cheap gifts.

I recommend getting a universal remote. I finally bit the bullet and bought one after a few failed attempts in the past (Phillips Pronto NEO never got all the functions for all devices)

I found the Harmony 676 at Sam's Club for $99.00 - and it does a great job! The Harnony's use the internet to do all the programming - have a very large database of electronics - including my Outlaw gear - and with 45 minutes of opening the package - I had all my gear programmed. It is activitiy based - one button to listen to music or watch TV or watch a Movie! - even has an built in help function in case it misses something in the programming. Best $99.00 bucks I've spent!. Even the wife and kids love it. NO MORE 5 remotes to turn things on. There are safely put away in a drawer.....

Check it out!

I've read god things about the Harmony elsewhere.......Mmmmmm, maybe I should check into one, it could take place of the three we use to watch movies. Would really be nice if it is backlit.........then the wife could do some of the switching.

Speedball wrote the following post at 07-30-2006 3:44 PM:

I've read god things about the Harmony elsewhere.......Mmmmmm, maybe I should check into one, it could take place of the three we use to watch movies. Would really be nice if it is backlit.........then the wife could do some of the switching.

The Harmony is backlit - cool blue color - buttons and screen light up. There is also a "glow" button to light it up first. My wife and 11 year olds took to it minutes - very family friendly, yet powerful enough for the techie to tweak too if desired.

I use a Phillips Pronto NG in our theater and I am quite pleased with it. However, One for All seems to have one the easiest and most afforable array of remotes I've ever seen. We have one in our living room and my wife loves it. She hates remotes, but likes the one we got her. Our son has a more complex All for One and loves his. Check them out here.

Mark,

That looks like a nice remote. It looks like it can make life much easier.

Can it be programmed for special buttons that are not commonly found?

I also use a CD player and a transport for a separate DAC. Can you switch between CD players?

Thanks,

Chris

I haven't had much time to explore it yet, but it can control up to 15 devices, including lights. Everything is activity based - so you want to watch TV - it turns on the cable box, sets the Mits TV (in my case) to the proper input - turns on the HT Receiver and selects the proper input. It also knows what controls the volume, what controls channel changing etc.

I do know that you can program buttons, etc, just have not yet explored how deep the customizing can be taken. You might try going to Harmony and doing what they call a test drive. It take you through a set up of the remote for your gear - you'll quickly see the basics of what it can do, etc. Be sure to create a temp log-in that would NOT be your true log-in should you decide to purchase one. It will make it easier later if you purchase - to run the "real" configuration. You might also go to the forums on RemoteCentral.com and check out the Harmony section - lots o' tips.

I've got a modest system, and the Harmony does everything I have needed over the past year in a way that my wife can watch/listen on her own. Highly, highly recommended.

The web based interface makes it very easy to set up the "activities" and beef them up once you get more comfortable with the remote.