Horn Bug Guard ?

seti

I was doing a search on the electric internet looking for reviews of the revamped Heritage line when I stumbled upon a site where someone had modified their Khorns. What caught my eye was the fact that some midrange horns have bugguards. I have a grill in front of my horn so why have a mesh bug guard? Does it make a audible difference to have it removed as they claim ?

post-15544-13819305106388_thumb.jpg

All the pd5hv type drivers (speakerlab, heathkit, klipsch, atlas) I have include the bug guard .

I have seen this discussed on one site that stepped thru a few upgrades on a k-horn.

Have not tried it.

Can't speak to audible difference with a bug guard removed. However, I have two cats and they shed. Cat hair gets into everything and every few years I take the covers off my receivers and blow them out with canned air. Unless you have a really pristine home ecosystem, I'd leave them on.

You,d be suprised at the iron filings coming frome your furnice motor over the years These will get into the voice coil.....That why the so called bug screen is for...Also spiders do like those tight spaces. To lay eggs..

I've written about this before. So some people may be tired of reading it.

Years ago there were some fellows tweeking VOTs and using them at home. One of the mods was to pull out the bug screen. They reported good results.

At the time I had an EV 1823 (or like that) and home make K-400. Sort of like the Trachorn and Bruce Edgar midrange. Use flat ply for the top and bottom and curved sides.

So I ran a curve with the LMS system. Then pulled out the bug screen. Not easy. I had to cut the screen and pull out the rest with needle nose plyers. Then ran another curve. The results were the same.

BTW I also tried removing the dome in back of the diaphragm. That changed things for the worse. Sorry I didn't save the curves. I didn't keep the driver.

People looking for a better performance look at the bug screen and suspect that it must be blocking something. A reasonable suspicion. When they do the mod they find, by ear, what they want to find.

I suspected the bug screen might add a bit of resistive load and would even things out. The data didn't show that either.

I'm all in favor of tinkering and hot rodding. However I do think that anyone has to have hard data before claiming a success. It is telling that just about anyone judging their brainchild by ear finds good results.

Best,

Gil

I've written about this before.  So some people may be tired of reading it.

Years ago there were some fellows tweeking VOTs and using them at home.  One of the mods was to pull out the bug screen.  They reported good results.

At the time I had an EV 1823 (or like that) and home make K-400.  Sort of like the Trachorn and Bruce Edgar midrange.  Use flat ply for the top and bottom and curved sides.

So I ran a curve with the LMS system.  Then pulled out the bug screen.  Not easy.  I had to cut the screen and pull out the rest with needle nose plyers.  Then ran another curve.  The results were the same.

BTW I also tried removing the dome in back of the diaphragm.  That changed things for the worse.  Sorry I didn't save the curves.  I didn't keep the driver.

People looking for a better performance look at the bug screen and suspect that it must be blocking something.  A reasonable suspicion.  When they do the mod they find, by ear, what they want to find.

I suspected the bug screen might add a bit of resistive load and would even things out.  The data didn't show that either. 

I'm all in favor of tinkering and hot rodding.  However I do think that anyone has to have hard data before claiming a success.  It is telling that just about anyone judging their brainchild by ear finds good results. 

Best,

Gil

Thank you good enough for me we can chalk that one up to Snake Oil Mod Status

I would dare say that if it made any audible difference worth a hoot, the engineers would have taken it into account when designing the original driver/horn/crossover combo.

You beat me to it [:D] That's exactly how I feel.

Don't be so quick to write this one off, guys ...

Seems to me that everyone knows (and can easily verify) that even a grill cloth in front of the horn effects the sound, so it only goes to figure that a metal mesh is probably alot worse!

DM

johny has a drawer full of bug screens, if you want one for the newer

drivers,in the newer heritage line up,an/or any other model, their

yours{won't fit every horn driver, push em in with your thumb, an some

glue ,~all disclaimers apply~ ~satire do not do this~} ..... PS

if you do pull bug screens, on the "round magnet tweeters", be careful

getting the driver, from the horn,an opening the driver, you can rip

the voice coil leads ,an then you will need "BEC"