World Trade Center

Colin

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Y2Y3YjNlN2E0ZDJjNjVhMDFmY2MyMTU3MGU5M2MxOWI=

This years 9/11 movies, like 9/11 itself, are unique, both for their topic and for their timeliness. Perhaps their closest cinematic kin, however, is Steven Spielbergs World War II epic, Saving Private Ryan. That film featured a grueling, hyper-real reenactment of the carnage of D-Day, but it opened and closed with an emotional tribute to World War II soldiers set in a present-day cemetery. As with United 93, some found the D-Day sequence too stomach-churning, but many praised it for its accuracy and power. Similarly, many criticized Ryans prologue and epilogue for being too sentimental, but for some especially veterans and their families these were the sequences that affected them most. Those scenes, for all their formulaic feeling, gained their power by paying honest tribute to those that fought and died in the service of America.

In that sense, World Trade Center works, not so much as excellent cinematic craft, but as a celebration of the individual heroism and goodness poured forth on 9/11 and the days following. It only brushes against the days larger impact, but it tells its specific story of loss, hope, and recovery reasonably well. What this means, though is that despite its billing, it does not quite succeed as a cinematic monument, and it captures little of the earth-shattering impact of 9/11. It may be best, then, to accept that its limited scope means that it is not a 9/11 movie, with all the emotion, the political consequence, and the cultural upheaval that label implies. No, World Trade Center is not a 9/11 movie. It is just a movie.

Chris Amoroso, Maurice Barry, Liam Callahan, Robert Cirri, Clinton Davis, Donald Foreman, Gregg Froehner, Thomas Gorman, George Howard, Uhuru Houston, Stephen Huczko, Anthony Infante, Paul Jurgens, Robert Kaulfers, Paul Laszczynski, David LeMagne, John Levi, John Lennon, James Lynch, Katherine Mazza, Fred Morrone, Walter Mcneil, Donald McIntyre, Joseph Navas, James Nelson, Alfonse Niedermeyer, James Parham Dominick Pezzulo, Bruce Reynolds, Antonio Rodrigues, Richard Rodriguez, James Romito, John Skala, Walwyn Stuart, Kenneth Tietjen, Nathanial Webb, Michael Wholey, K-9 Sirius...

http://our.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/portauthority.html

post-16919-13819307466156_thumb.gif

I am not going to see this movie, not ready, no desire. No disrespect intended, I just don't need to see Hollywood intrepretation of those events.

Anyone watch Rescue Me? Great show and I like the way they handle it.

I tend to agree with Jackson............not ready.........still pretty tender about 911 but, I also think Colin summed it up pretty well...............I know what happened, I'll never forget........for a brief time We Were All New Yorkers....................

I learned my commodities in the twin towers, so it felt weird to see them rising so proudly out of the morning dew once again in Oliver Stones disturbing disaster flick. The Saturday night theater was packed to the rafters. I had to sit in the bleachers and my favorite cinema does not have Klipsch (Muvico).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It is not a gritty wartime reality show, like Spielbergs Saving Private Ryan. It is not a real time documentary, with actual people playing themselves, like the incredible United 93.

World Trade Center does work. It is excellent cinematic craft. It a tale of two men, their love of their wives and families and the rare heroism of one man. It has little to do with 9/11 except to locate its simple story at the time and place of the most shocking event in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />US history.

WTC does tell its specific story of loss, hope, and recovery reasonably well.

So it is not a 9/11 movie. But it not just a movie either. It more like the remade 2006 Poseidon Adventure. It except that after the initial horrific disaster, there is not more adventure, no more thrills. Just tense, nervous waiting for life to happen. Or not.

On my dollar scale, where 8 is the price of cinema admission, I think the giant scale of the disaster make this flick worth seeing in the cinema. WTC is an 8. Go see it to relive the memories and emotions of that most incredible day again.

Colin,

Thanks for that post...personally I believe we need to see more of what happened that day so we remember what we should be doing (politics aside)...as for the movie, I plan to see it with a friend who lost a dear friend that day...she doesn't want to see it alone and I had just read a long article in a trade magazine about the two PAPD (Sergeant and Officer) who consulted on this movie along with others who were there...it really moved me and I am hoping the movie is true to that.

Thanks for your review.

Bill

In one weekend, Oliver Stones WTC has grossed almost as much revenue as the equally impressive United 93 did in 4 months! Guess it pays to have a big name director and star in an otherwise very simple plot.

BTW, the movie shoes what the 911 Commission complained about the early responding police and fire crews had less information about what was actually happening than the people watching CNN at home!

I do not personally think there was an "otherwise very simple plot" I think it does what it was supposed to, tell a story of two new york port authority policemen their day which was not a simple routine day at all. Also I didn't mean to offend/insult you colin with this remark.

I saw it tonight...VERY moving for me...I don't think I have EVER watched a movie and tingled so much...more than Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...too other movies that really moved me...yes, it is mostly the story of the two Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Officers (PAPD)...interestingly...to me anyway...I thought it might be bad because there were several teenaged kids in the audience...three times this group acted up and were inappropriate...several other teenagers quieted them down...I think everyone should see this...some of us need a reminder of what happened that day...I believe they should have shown the planes hit the towers...God Bless...

Bill

I saw it tonight...VERY moving for me...I don't think I have EVER watched a movie and tingled so much...more than Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...too other movies that really moved me...yes, it is mostly the story of the two Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Officers (PAPD)...interestingly...to me anyway...I thought it might be bad because there were several teenaged kids in the audience...three times this group acted up and were inappropriate...several other teenagers quieted them down...I think everyone should see this...some of us need a reminder of what happened that day...I believe they should have shown the planes hit the towers...God Bless...

Bill

I remmeber Oliver Stone explaining why they did not show the planes going into the towers. It was because the two officers did not see it either as did most of America, they only saw it on tv over and over again as the news people kept doing.

Very emotional movie--I admit I had to wipe the cheeks with my big manly forearms a few times. Seeing pain and loss without really knowing what was going on around them, the policemen and their families all suffered mightily that day.

This is no chick flick. If anything, this great movie is a reminder of the solidarity and bravery of the victims and rescuers involved. For the whole country for that matter. No enemies are shown, just Americans dealing with tragedy and loss. Its just amazing these two lived--out of only 20 surviviors. And that they were found under deep piles of girders and boulders in such a large area is even more remarkable--

I like how they didn't show the planes--I'm sure most people on the ground didn't see them. It added to the movie's reality and added to the characters confusion of what was happening to them.

I don't understand how some of you don't want to see a movie like this--that its "too soon". Its never too soon to see true stories of American heroes--

• Moderators

" I don't understand how some of you don't want to see a movie like this--that its "too soon". Its never too soon to see true stories of American heroes--"

Very true, most people forget very quick or want to.

Don't forget , that's what they want, It's not over, it may never be over. Don't take politically just common sense, and just one opinion.