No sound. Any ideas?

Brianabd

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine have the same problem. What a RIPOFF!!! I am not often duped, but in this case I certainly was. My speakers broke about two years ago and I replaced them without bothering to figure out what happened to them. I am in the processof setting up an office and I thought about my forgotten speakers and how they would be perfect for the office. I lugged them out of the spare room and set them up. Still no sound.... I figured I would check online for people with a similar problem. What do you know? There are hundreds of people online wth the exact same problem! Great work Klipsch!!! I for one will NEVER buy another Klipsch product. Additionally, I will tell anyone who will listen that Klipsch products are poorly designed and a waste of money. To the Klipsch employee on here who asked that this product not be compared to other Klipsch products - Are you kidding? You get one chance to make an impression on a consumer. If one product is junk, then they are all junk.

I have the same problem and I don't want to pay money and ship this out to fix...

anybody here knows where i can buy parts and replace them? what parts would i be looking for??? somebody plz list them out and share their experience if you've fixed your own as well..... man I really like the speakers but how can they sell something like this and even if I ship them back for repair the same problem will just happen again...

Email this gentleman: elliot-tronics@yahoo.com. Also, log ontp eBay, search for Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 and he will pop up. I and many others have had the same problem and Elliott will rebuild your amp for a reasonable price. After 'dropping' $350 for these speakers I would hope that you would seek out a repair facility. If my expensive car died on me, I would do more than get onto a Forum - I would seek out a repair facility. Trust me, you'll thank me for this information. Elloitt has a magnificent reputation and may not be able to fit you into his busy schedule.

FredEm

Hi and thanks Fred I just want to say that I'm glad you are happy with my service, and anybody that needs my services can e-mail me any time, and if you want to check my customer reviews just go to eBay an search for Klipsch Ultra Repair my user name on eBay is elliot-tronics you can also e-mail me to eliott4113@yahoo.com and not elliot-tronics@yahoo.com

Note:

I will not reply to any technical questions here in this forum or give free technical support ..

Thanks,

Elliott

• 7 months later...

Well amy, I bought a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers for $350 and they lasted less than my Promedia, which lasted for just 4years. So in my eyes, it is a broad issue. Thank goodness the public can now be made aware of products and manufacturers to avoid. I blew off the speaker loss, but now that my Promedia has failed, the public needs to know. I am temporarily listening to audio via my(didn't throw-away) cheaper speakers ,that have been going strong for over 9 years.

If we had an unacceptable failure rate, we would recall the units. We have nothing to gain by selling defective products, either financially or by reputation. I don't know how many times I have to say it. This section of the forum has more complaints simply because of the sheer number of units sold.

That would be a more believable assertion if it wasn't for the fact that so many people see repeated failures even after sending the amps back to Klipsch. My guess is that it was far more economical to close down the ultra promedia 5.1 line than it was to offer a recall. To minimize bad PR, they have Amy shutdown threads that get out of control with comments of "mine died too!" If you didn't lock all of those threads prematurely, we probably would have seen more complaints.

I'm also amused by the comment "they are a completely different technology"...interesting, are you saying the other Klipsh lines don't use conical speakers and magnetic drivers?

• 1 month later...

I have the ProMedia 5.1 speaker system. (the older non ultra

version)

The amp seems to be dead.

No sound is output at all. (but I have LED glow, power clicks on off) I’ve

tried several computers/devices and several cables.

I don’t even hear hiss when I turn up the volume all the way. It seems to be a common problem for these to

fail after a few years. I would by a

new 5.1 system but 5.1 units seem to be discontinued/

Does Klipsch offer a repair service for out of warranty

systems? Can I send this in for repair? Should I try the 3rd party guy Elliot I saw in these forums? His email bounced so I guess he's gone now. (EDIT: I see he has a new email address, I just resent him an email asking for repair costs/details)

I really love the sound quality of Klipsch

and don’t want to switch to Logitech or other brands.

Also, if I buy a used system instead of repairing

this one, sould I stick with the less expensive non Ultra 5.1 or go for

the Ultra version of the 5.1? I see a few on ebay now and again but

they are over priced..

Thanks,

~Jon

• 1 month later...

If you want to complain about the PM 5.1 because you've owned one and have had problems, of course you have every right to so. But please do not compare these speakers with rest of Klipsch products. They are a completely different technology, completely different design, components, everything about them is different. It is really an unjust comparison. If you spend any time on the rest of the forum, you'll know we have very few complaints for our home audio products.

I understand that you have sold a lot of these system when compared to other products, but "But please do not compare these speakers with rest of Klipsch products." may be the worst possible thing you could have said... If you don't want these speakers compared to the rest of the Klipsch line of products, then don't put the Klipsch name on them. Inherently, if you put your company name on something it will be compared to everything else you make. Why does the Ford pinto come to mind. If you are going to make a product, and charge a premium price for the name on the side, then you need to make sure the product is up to the quality standards of the rest of your product lines. I have sent my system in twice to be repaired by Klipsch, and both times within a year, the same issue had returned. I love my speakers when they work, but that is becoming a less and less dependable scenario... If you want the Klipsch name to be attached to great products and customer support, then you need to take care of the people that buy your products. Simply admitting that there was an issue would be a huge step forward. Coming from an industry that is very customer focussed, I can tell you first hand that for every customer that feels wronged, your net promoter score, or the willingness of those people to suggest your products, drops very quickly. I highly doubt anyone from Klipsch will actually read this, but sometimes there is more to business than just making money...

smijus, I think Amy has a valid point. You mention ford in the pinto, fine, but you leaving out other parts of the story, aside from it being a failure.

Take current Fords. Can you directly compare a Ford Focus, to a Ford Mustang to the Ford GT40? Granted all made by Ford, but different levels, different designs, different technology. If you Jermey Clarkson, own the GT40, and have problems with the remote ignition, how does that correlate to you having transmission problems in your Focus. Two completely seperate platforms that share nothing in common, share the same company name.

Granted a lot of posts seem to complain about them breaking. What % is that compared to people who have not had a problem. One thing I feel about the Internet is that people who probelms are a lot more likely to be vocal in ranting about a product then someone who has had a great experience. This is why you see mostly negative reviews on products. I feel your pain about having them sent back twice and not getting your issue fully resolved. What if all these posts and complaints are from 100 people, but over 1 million units where sold. Does it warrant enough of an issue to say your product is flawed when that is 0.01%. Ever hear of lemon cars? (I just like being devil advocate at times, so take what I say with a grain of salt.)

The forum is a great resource, and if you search within there threads you will that some very technical people have looked into the issue and figured out what is wrong and fixed it themself or found someone who can offer the service to do so. I for one have had the v2-400's and 5.1 Ultra's and use them day-in-and-out and never had a problem with either. That is me, am I just a lucky one?

I think it's great that Amy, Prof Thump and others are active on the boards, even if they can't always give us the answers we want. I think it shows that Klipsch is more then just focused on making money. They are part of a niche market, and this helps keep them going.

dgoreck, I appreciate the response, but the fact remains that Klipsch markets itself as a high end speaker manufacturer. If a product is made that doesn't quite meet those standards, then I would expect at the very least, that the company itself would lend a hand with the diagnosis of the issue. I'm somehow doubting that the issue is simply a 0.01% issue considering if you talk to customer service, they claim that this is a "common" issue. I certainly appreciate the help of all the "technical people" as it was there input that allowed me to go in and fix the system myself. I guess in short I'm just a little disappointed that this issue keeps popping up even after sending it in to Klipsch for service. I guess it's just a lesson learned...

• 1 month later...

Amy DOES NOT a valid point. When you buy a product from a "trusted" manufacturer, you expect it to work and it should work for longer than the warranty. The Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 system is a bad product, and Klipsch knows it - it is prone to failure and they (the Klipsch company) provide no solutions. I have been listening to music since I was 15 years old. Back in 1963 there was Rock and Roll - and you didn't turn up the bass volume so high as to annoy your neighbors. I purchased this system three years ago to use for Video editing. I have never blasted any sound through my Creative Media Audigy 2ZS Sound Blaster - I work in a small room and don't need the volume. So, here is a system that has not been abused, was in service for maybe 80 to 100 hours total time and three days ago went belly up - no sound, no warning, no hiss, nothing. I am pissed! Klipsch was known as a quality manufacturer with great sounding speakers and horns. Now I feel like they have their crap made in China and simply do not give a tinker's dam about their loyal customers. My message is this - I will never buy another product from Klipsch. Amy can say anything she wants, like a Bushy, she will defend the company she's working for. I can't even find a diagram to attempt to fix this box - The fuse is intact, the lights all work and the control unit responds - but there is no audio output. I agree with all negative comments made about this company and with all the valid complaints against their shoddy prodduct and their "non" service!

Note that I signed up for this forum just to have my say - and will not be visitng here again.

It sounds like I am having the same problem as the other posters.

My 5.1 system is 18 months old and one day it stopped working.

I am able to listen with the headphones setting but no sound comes from the speaker system.

Do I have to assume that I need a new system, or are there more tests I can perform?

You may try to pull the back plate off the woofer and check the fuse on the power supply PCB.

You can also check to see if you have any hot spots or burned areas on any of the PCBs.

If all seems well, then check the sound of the on/off solenoids when you turn the control unit on/off.

If all else fails, send the unit back to Klipsch - talk to them first using their "promedia" support.

and will not be visitng here again.

So you're a whiner and a liar. Klipsch will really miss your business you and your 1 Klipsch product. I have owned hunderds of Klipsch products, and will continue to support the company.

sorry, but i am on my 3rd repaired amp, everytime it is the same thing, send us 90 bucks and ship us the amp, we'll send you a replacement amp that will work anywhere from a month to a year before you will need another one. the symptoms for mine have all been the same. sub cuts on and off, with a tearing type noise, then it stops alltogether. all satellites and center channel work fine.

i give up, time to ebay this junk and buy some logitechs.

• 2 weeks later...

My sub died a year ago and I never got it repaired due to reading
threads on here where people had the same problem soon after having it
repaired. It's the sub amp that's fried. I wouldn't want to purchase
another sub, unless someone fixed the amp problem themselves, because I
am afraid it would die again. I really liked those speakers. They
sounded great. I'm getting a new desktop to replace my old dead one and
need some new 5.1 speakers. I wish there was a different sub I could et
that would work with the speakers.