For Sale: Walnut Belles

Kevin Merritt

Anyone looking for a set of Walnut Belles? They are in good shape and were built in 1976. The local rep tells me that I have the "better parts" in mine. They sound great and I love these big hogs but I need to make room and the small space I have them in doesn't do them justice. I would love to trade them for a set of R-5 or R-7's.. a local guy offered to swap 'em for his Chourus II's. Anyone interested for $850?

Kevin:

I'm trying sooooooo hard to get a nice pair of Belle's here in CA. For $850, in the exact color I need, it is almost worth a drive in the Suburban to pick them up.

Almost.

I may get lucky with a pair in LA this weekend.

Then the delima will be whether to move the Cornwalls to the rear and replace the Heresys, or to sell the Cornwalls.

Good luck in your sale!

Mike

Mike,

Yea, I did get the 1976 Belles. Since Kevin was only 23 miles from me, just couldn't resist the urge to see them and have a listen. About three minutes into the demo discmy decision was made. The sound and level of detailed in the mid/high frequency range was simply wonderfully. Gives the sensation that you're getting a private performance in your own home. The bass notes are tight, sharply delivered and with authority. I listened to them for a couple of hours last night, then wrapped both in hospital blankets and stored in the basement. I plan to get some walnut veneer and repair a few small areas, as well as sand the tops to remove other small scratches. The internal components are in excellent condition. Over all they're in very good condition. Hope to get some pics up in the near future, but mostly been working on my diy home improvement projects, so haven't had much time other things. I will still pop in when I get the opportunity.

Hope things are well for you.

Later,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 11-20-2001 at 12:44 PM

Congrats to Wes! He's a great guy to meet and, my Lord, his house is like a Klipsch museum!!! I know that I'm gonna hate myself for selling those things but it had to happen. I think Wes got a great deal but he (an others) would cry if you knew what I paid. Things like that can happen when speakers change hands too often. Some people just don't know what they have! May you all be so lucky!

I eneded up replacing them with a pair of B&W CM2's. I was limited by size and those little guys were the only thing I could find with tight base like a Belle. A bit of a change (ha) but that's all the room I had. You can commence with the insults, now. I'll have to check back when I get another set of Klipsch... I understand that ol' man Klipsch is about to introduce a design based on 20-years work (according to the dealer). I can't wait!

Last word on the Belles:

GREAT speaker. You need a big room and the freedom to move them to get quality sound. I know that can be said for any speaker but it is MANDATORY for the Belles. All the comments about lack of low end, hollow sounding cabinets and lack of imaging... all are overcome in the right room, in the right place. It was amazing how bad they could sound in some positions... really! Take the time and the pay-off is HUGE. Bass so strong it'll knock the wind out of ya if desired. One of the most striking things about them was their ability to fill a room with sound but not overpower the listener. With your eyes closed, it was hard to identify where they were or what size they were(and mine were only ten feet from the listening position). Experienced listeners couldn't guess as to what drivers were used or how many. They all worked so seamlessly together. Like most great speakers, the more accurate the speaker, the more you can tell when you get a bad recording. That was the only compromise. Like I said... I'm gonna hate myself down the road...

Best regards to all,

Kevin

It was a good thing I was deer hunting or I would have jumped all over that.

Of course it is only 7 weeks since I bought my Sherwod Newcastle amp and preamp and my wife would have killed me.

I live in Livonia Michigan and would have been close.

I am glad I was not tempted!

Good luck "Shape", a fine addition ot the Klipsch collection.

After more than 10 years with the same women... she revield to me that size DOES matter! Seriously, I moved into a new house and the best place to put my system (many reasons- one of them turns 1yr this week) didn't allow me any floor space for speakers. The little CM2's sit on top of a low-set entertainment center. Regards.

Mike - Finally got some time to post pics of the Belles as well as changes to my systems setup. They're in "Odds and Mods". I revised my original thread instead of posting a new one.

Audio Flynn - But by the grace of God could have gone I. Would have been pleased as long as any member of this BB got them. Was really grateful that Kevin offered them on the BB first.

Jim - I had to make some significant changes to get them incorporated in my front H/T setup. RF-3's and Quartets had to be moved to basement for storage. Will definately keep you in mind if selling anything. You can see pics of changes in "Odds & Mods".

Still working hard at plastering and painting, it's a dirty job.

Later all,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>