price and sound on 2 Lascallas

BobRiff

I am buying 2 mid 1980's Lascallas for $700 total, and I wanted to know exactly what to look for, and what should I listen for also. The finish is in great condition, with little or no damage. However I would like to know what else to check for in order to make sure i am not getting taken for a ride. Also is there any type of music or certain song I should play through them in order to properly check the tweeter subwoofer and anything else that may have been ruined.

Give each driver a good listen to see that all are working and sound good. The tweeters are the most likely drivers to fail. Not a big problem though even if you have to replace the diaphragms in the tweeters. If they have type AL crossovers a lot of people would say to replace them. If they have one or more bad tweeters and the type AL crossovers, I would say crossover work is needed rather urgently.

$700 sounds like a good price to me if they are pretty nice. Everything in them is repairable or can be replaced.

Bob Crites

hey bob, $700 is a great price for scalas in great condition. $1000 would be a good price also. what you want to know is that all 3 componets are working. to check the tweeter, put a towel inside the midrange to block any sound coming from it. put your ear next to the tweeter and see if any sound is coming out. the tweeter is the hardest to tell if its working. the midrange and woofer are easy to hear if they are working.

people here also recommend that you loosen and retighten the screws on the crossovers. the ones that go to the tweeter, mid and sub.

any music will do. crank um up and be ready to be blown away. you will love them. congrats.

I got the Lascala's home and they are in fairly good shape. Apart from some minor scratches and a bit of dust they work fine. The crossover is Type AA, the tweeters and mids are in excellent condition, and as far as the woofer goes it sounds fine. All in all I believe that I got a pretty good deal on them. I will get some pictures on when I get a chance. By the way this is Bob's son John, not Bob he was too busy swearing at the Lions to deal with this.

I"m so proud![:D]

First, my oldest son scores a pair of Belle's in March, now my youngest one comes up with these Lascalas. Just need to get him set up with his own user name.

Add in my K'horns and Heresys and we're turning into a total Klipsch household. [:)]

Bob

That is great!!!!! Are they all in the same house? That could be an interesting situation if they are. 3 different systems playing each users favorite music at the same time. How bout some photo's of them all. Bill

Hi Bill,

Is that your call sign? WB8LBY here.

The K'horns and one of the Heresys are set up in the living room as part of my 5.1 (actually 6.1) system. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with the second Heresy yet, but it's always good to have a "spare". [:)]

The new La Scalas are now residing in my son's bedroom in the basement. The room is only about 12x15. Just a couch, a bed, a strereo rack and two La Scalas. Oh yea, did I mention it's LOUD? [:)]

They "cleaned up" very nicely with just with just some Pledge Orange Glow and a little Old English Scratch Cover.

The Belles are at my other son's house. The cabinets were in pretty rough shape when he got them, and he's still in the process of refinishing them. It's been five months since he got them, and he's just fininshing up the first one. Apparently his busy social schedule is keeping him from getting the job done in a timely manner. Ahh, to be young and single again! [;)]

He's competely disassembling the cabinets and he's doing a very thorough job.

They'll look great when he finally gets them done. He also replaced the tweeters, which were blown when he got them, and the crossovers with Bob Crites'.

Will post a couple of pictures later.

Bob