What does this meter measure and how to use????

Cal Blacksmith

You bought a pig in a poke (or what ever that saying is)

Clearly you got taken. You can feel free to send your hunk-o-junk to me (at your expense of course)

[6]

It DOES look a bit like the thingy I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&item=270021670827&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Al says I can do neat things with it.

It's a good-ole' VTVM: Vacuum Tube Voltmeter!

Check out this link on Voltmeters for an explanation. VTVM is also mentioned.

VTVMs are a specialized device in that they have more input sensitivity than other meters and also more input resistance: As much as 10 to 20 megohms!

Cal,

The meter reads AC volts RMS directly. It is actually RMS calibrated average responding. 0 dB equal 1 mW (.001 Watt) into 600 Ohms. That is, 0 dB = .774V. The scales are dB above or below 1 mW into 600 Ohms. A calibrated mike will put out SOME known voltage at SOME known loudness (SPL) at the mike. The meter can be used to read dB above or below that number. It will boil down to some constant number of dB you will add (or maybe subtract) from the meter reading.

Al K.

I just bought a meter like that, a bit newer, but the same HP series.

I also bought a 50 year old HP audio oscillator to go with it.

Very useful stuff.

You use it to check the amplification factor of amplifiers for example. Feed a signal of some known level, lets say -40 dB, into the amp and see how much it amplifies the signal. Vary the frequency and plot the frequency response curve of your amp.

I use it to change my stereo over to studio signal levels (which is 0dB), to calibrate the VU meter of my reel to reel tape machine to +6dB etc.

Uwe

Thanks Al, Coytee, that manual would be very nice to have. Thanks again guys!

Evidently they're under the "Agilent" name now. I got it at this website. You might be able to put your model number in the search engine and find the manual for yours. I tried to attach mine but wouldn't upload.

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/facet.jspx?to=79841.g.1&c=76927.i.1&cc=US&lc=eng