I have more BASS then you!

Jay481985

Ok not that bass, but seabass. I went to the beach about two weeks ago and saw some fishermen actually catching alot of fluke and someone even caught a stingray [:|]. So I went to a walmart and brought a 10 foot Shakespear and I had a pretty good Penn reel from about 7 years ago. I went yesterday or Thursday by myself cause most of my friends don't understand fishing and my father was working. So I went by myself and actually caught a Stripped Bass it measured 32 inches and weighed 16 pounds. Oh man did it fight like crazy, this was atleast a 5 minute battle where I had to adjust the reel drag soo many times for I was afraid my 20 pound lineweight was going to snap. It literally had my rod bent in a crescent when it first tugged. I more akin to freshwater trout thought I literally snagged like you do in freshwater alot of the times. At the end the fish did not fight much as both of us were sooo exhausted. By looking at the scale rings (just like tree rings) it appears to be atleast 7 years old. Oh btw it tastes delicious.

post-13377-1381930812626_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought I could steak the belly and halfway down and fillet the rest to the tail. After trying to steak the first part I gave up. The sucker had atleast a 1/2 thick spinal bone that a razor sharp Henkel 10 inch chef knife could not cut through. I actually used the bread knife to saw the bone and managed to mangle the steak. Our family doesn't have a cleaver so ....... I have honestly never have seen that thick of a bone on such a fish, even salmon steaks we get were only 1/3 the size of the bone....... I would put that bone to the thickeness of a bit thicker than lamb chops!!! Anyways we filleted it. I had a late night dinner that was just lemon juice, salt, pepper fried with butter in a fry pan. Added some mustard/honey/mayonnaise mixture on top and it tasted almost like chilean sea bass. My mother made a stew with other parts of the fish. A very spicy type stew with lots of red pepper. We still have alot of fillet around in the freezer as I doubt we can eat it in a week without being sick of it.

Oh and my father saw that and wants to go fishing again. Even though saturday is a washout with the reminents of tropical storm ernesto hitting us. And I think most of the fish went deep. But my father was like on Sunday we can move in and then go fishing (I move back to college this sunday) Yeah, I think he wants to catch something too.....

BTW next time if I ever catch something that big I am letting it go.... Too much hassle dragging its body from beach to car while it tears apart your plastic bag (I didn't bring a cooler big enough as I expected to catch "smaller" fish if that) And then having it stink up on the ride home leaking icy water on the car carpet...... because that damn spiky fins tore up the plastic. And then bringing it home and scaling the damn thing! It had scales the size of dimes!!! Then chopping as stated before. But then one taste of the meat and I would do it all over again [;)]

Damn you too Jay....

Between OldB talking about Pink Floyd and you talking about fishing...(lying on the floor in fetal position sucking thumb now)

It's the kids.......

Where did you catch him....I fish the Outter Banks and have never caught a stripper, but seen many caught.

Good luck at school (getting up from floor now)

Phil

When I caught it I actually put my rod into the sand and then got lost looking at the waves. Then in the corner of my eye I see the pole fall and god damnit! then I see the pole drag a bit on the sand and go oh! And then I picked it up and was more akin to having the hook stuck on something like in freshwater. It fought so hard I had to adjust my drag on the reel atleast 20 times so the line would not snap. Also it was a weak throw, I actually wanted to throw further but my arm was tired. It sorta did scare me thinking that just two weeks prior, I was swiming around the area that I threw maybe at best 8 feet deep with a 2 ounce sinker. The hook was through throughly inside the throat, a little bit before the gils as it must have swallowed the squid whole!