Pink Floyd.......Me too.

oldbuckster

OB, how are ya friend. I agree with you and everyone else about the "Pulse" and "In The Flesh". Both are excellent. I am a huge fan of David Gilmour, as a guitarist. However, Roger Waters is not to be overlooked. I encourage everyone to go out and get Roger Waters recording of "The PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING. The writing, the artistry, the musicianship (I will not give out the names of the "guests"), are pretty much up there as DSOTM, IMHO. Any Pink Floyd fan will love it. I wish it were on dvd. For those interested, as story: At the Stereophile Show at the Waldorf in NY way back when, I spent 3 glorious days "working" the JADIS room. I was associated with the importer of this fine gear at that time. If anyone would ask me what the finest speaker I have ever heard( and I have heard many), I would have to say the Eurythmie 11. The first day of the show(Friday), we were using the top of the Jadis low powered monobloc amps. Sounded excellent. However, while I was talking to the speaker designer, I mentioned that the more powerful monoblocs(there were 4 of them) that were just sitting there, should be hooked up. Here is the good part. Friday night came, show ended for the day, I cranked up the "big system" using Pros and Cons, and it was unbelievable. That Saturday, during the show, other exhibitors tried to "shut us down", as we were "rockin the house". The problem we had was the Eurythmie designer never heard anything like this Roger Waters music. It was a blast. My importer associates could not do anything, because the speaker and electronics engineers had me continue playing Pros and Cons. Point being, it is a must have recording by all. I have to say my Lascalas do quite alot. But, what I heard over those 3 days was a memory I can never forget. If I had the money and the room, that would be the system I would be owning today.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I feel like Rip Van Winkle (and look like Rip Taylor w/ a beard & w/o the wig). I have never even heard the album DSOTM. Should I get this DVD? Is there some sort of injection I should get first? Maybe one of you guys should have me over for the innitiation...

Well, I feel like Rip Van Winkle (and look like Rip Taylor w/ a beard & w/o the wig). I have never even heard the album DSOTM. Should I get this DVD? Is there some sort of injection I should get first? Maybe one of you guys should have me over for the innitiation...

Fini, I can't lie to you man, save your money, It is a terrible DVD. I think Pink Floyd is terrible, but I want people to like me, so I say things that I don't mean. David Gilmore doesn't know how to tune a Guitar, never mind play it. It is Sonic Mayhem, notes with no meaning, back up singers singing out of key, the Drummer forgets to drum, it is awful, forget buying this stinker, save your money, buy it on VHS when they run it on sale, just to get rid of old stock...............Ok, Fini.....now you know...........Your welcome at my place.....

OK fini, your on.

You'll need to bring a wig, shaving creme, two electrodes, a 12 volt battery, blow up doll, Dolly Parton album, heavy duty cooking oil, two calf nipples, a goat and $200.

Phil

Anyone who is a Pink Floyd fan, with or without Roger Waters, should have the Roger Waters "THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING. It is INCREDIBLE, IMHO.

Lascaladan,

That's quite a reccomendation. I will get it tomorrow! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Funny thing about Pink Floyd...They have been through several members or "front men" and they re-emerge maybe not the same but equally good in a slightly differnet way. I guess someone could come up with other bands that have done that, but none are hitting me right now. umm...Van Halen...ROTFLMAO......

Phil

OK fini, your on.

You'll need to bring a wig, shaving creme, two electrodes, a 12 volt battery, blow up doll, Dolly Parton album, heavy duty cooking oil, two calf nipples, a goat and $200.

Phil

As it turns out, I haven't unpacked from my last visit to a forum member's place, so look out Virginia, here comes fini!! I will have to stop at the ATM for the $200, though.

Lascala Dan

yer right on about Roger Water's "pros and Cons of Hitchhiking", I have all 3 of his CD releases..love 'em all, partial to "Amused to Death"..I have "In the Flesh" also on DVD..great, great concert!

Oldbuckster, I wasn't trying to stir things up..I do wish PF would reconcile. Both parties have done good since the "breakup"..I enjoy both camps, but I think the "whole" would be great! That's all my comment meant.

And take the advice, get "In the Flesh"..think you'd enjoy it!

Steve

PS..I do know the early PF days...Relics/Meddle/etc..DSOTM was releasd in my "formidable" years, so it's my favorite..though "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals" run a close tie..

Lascaladan.....Thanks for the tip on Roger, will have to check out......I was kinda poking a little fun at the boys.........Pulse is all I've seen, so that's alI I was commenting about. I can't compare to anything else, nor do I want to, the Pulse is on the top of the pile right now.

Steve, I know you weren't trying to start anything, you didn't. I noticed there were 3 or 4 responses stating Roger would be better...........I don't agree or dis-agree on that point, all I know is what I saw on the Pulse, and it was great, and I don't feel Roger would have made the Pulse any better than it is. Not knocking anyone, just stating my opinion......if that starts a disagreement so be it.

I just liked it so much, maybe I got carried away writng about it, and was a little over-zealous with my comments....................NOT....it's a great Disc and happy I bought it, can't say that about every disc I own.........Even if your not a Floyd fan, this is worth owning,.........Except Fini.....Don't get it Fini, it's awful.......really BAD.....Save your money....

Hey ob, I was not aware you did not own "In the Flesh". I truly believe you would be just as impressed with the DVD as you are with Pulse. I know I am. They are both outstanding, and you can tell that both efforts were done in a professional manner. Those guys truly are at the top of their field!

Mike

Having seen Pink Floyd with and without Roger Waters, but never seeing Roger Waters solo, I enjoyed it all. There is something sad when a member of a band, leaves, especially, when they die. The list is too long. It is all about what they do next, if at all. When Sid left PF, the band played on. When Roger left, the band played on. Good for them! Good for us. As an example: The Doors did not go on, without Jim. They all went solo(As far as I know). Am I trying to make a point here. I do not know. It is up to each of us to continue listening to those musicians and bands when they split, as long as they bring us pleasure. In another post somewhere, a member indicated how great a recording was, but does not like the music, however listens to it alot. I have my test tones/warble tones for that. If we like it, it is all good.

Actually, the Doors did go on..with two albums, and Ray Manzarek covering the vocals..I have one of the albums (on CD too) aptly titled "Other Voices"..but it wasn't the same. Can't remember the name of the other one..

And of course, Townsend and Daltrey are coming out with "Who 2" this year..wonder how that will be ??

I understood Townsend and Roger carrying on the Who name as long as John Entwhistle was still with them, What a Bassist the OX was, but to continue the Who name now that John has passed is wrong..........if they want to do Songs of the Who, fine,but to call themselves the Who is just not right.............Put the Who to rest.....Let the Band live through their music.................Please Let Go Pete and Roger..........It's over.........

Pulse is all I've seen, so that's alI I was commenting about. I can't compare to anything else, nor do I want to, the Pulse is on the top of the pile right now.

Well Buckette... lemme add a comment in here with some of the others..

Be a good little boy and go get "In the Flesh" as soon as you can. Between that and Pulse, you will be torn as to which to watch. You'll probably find them within 98% of each other. Meaning, you will probably like one more than the other, but it will only be by a nose.

[ip]

Pulse is all I've seen, so that's alI I was commenting about. I can't compare to anything else, nor do I want to, the Pulse is on the top of the pile right now.

Well Buckette... lemme add a comment in here with some of the others..

Be a good little boy and go get "In the Flesh" as soon as you can. Between that and Pulse, you will be torn as to which to watch. You'll probably find them within 98% of each other. Meaning, you will probably like one more than the other, but it will only be by a nose.

[ip]

You makin' fun of my nose?..............BengalBassBoy.........Need to watch Cream some more.....will check out Roger later....Heresy's are starting to sound real nice lately!!......Buckette!!!..You'll pay for that.......trust me on that one.....Buckette!!!.........

OK guys!

I watched disc two last night of Pulse and ...WOW!!!!

Kids are gone for the weekend so I could. I also tried to find Pros and Cons and could not. I picked up another Roger Waters CD though and got to my car, put it in, and low and behold I had mistakenly picked up a Rick Wakeman disc that I guess someone had put behind Rogers "sleeve". I like Rick just fine, just wasn't in the mood for that though. I'll give it a shot later.

I wish they would "mend fences" though (David and Roger).

Anyone bought David Gilmores latest CD? I think it is a very fine piece of work. His guitar style of "less is more" really does it for me.

OCD Phil