Age of Cornwalls

cubdog

Cubdog...good to see you over here...they should be Cornwalls (not IIs)...speakers loaded from the back and the back comes off...plywood construction with wood veneer...metal horns...different speaks and crossover...some like them better, some not...sorry, don't have more...

Bill

So, where can you find a good history / timeline for this speaker? I see so many variations on ebay, etc... ever since I bought my own pair.

For example, I recently saw a pair labeled "cornwall II" that were obviously very old, pre-dating the 80s speaker now commonly known as the C'wall II. I see vertical and horizontal speaker orientations, plywood vs MDF construction. Well, you know what I am talkin about...

If you know your serial number, where do you find out its vintage?

Many thanks.

Well, we have Cornwall IIs made after 1985 that have drivers all mounted from the front and MDF cabinets. The backs are not removable on those "late model" Cornwall IIs.

The original Cornwalls have the drivers all mounted from the back of the motorboard and have removable backs. The cabinets are plywood. On the original Cornwalls when the drivers are oriented vertically, they are also sometimes called Cornwall IIs. I have two of those. One is marked Cornwall II and the other just says "Cornwall".

Is that confusing enough?

Bob Crites

But wait! There's more!

I have two pairs of CW 2's, and one pair (87's) are made with PLYWOOD

and the other pair MDF, both have front mounted drivers and

sealed backs...so the confusion goes on and on...

K

Edited to add...Some folks claim the older CW 1's sound better (esp.

alnico magnets, etc...) but then others (like DeanG) will tell you that

the CW2's were a superior speaker from the driver performance and

crossover standpoint (higher tweeter, lower bass, front mounted driver

reducing dissipation, etc.) ... I love my 2's, they absolutely

rock. Can't say about CW1's, but I wouldn't kick them out of

bed...

Thanks Bob,

That conforms to info I have gleaned since I posted my original question. Especially the nebulous early Cornwall IIs that I have seen. I have also learned that serial numbers sometimes contain a letter code for each year of manufacture, A=1962, Y=1983, etc...

But is there a website, book, etc... that compiles all of this folklore?

Joe

I can't make a valid judgment between Cornwalls and Khorns. My tiny, tiny house has NO usable corners. My CWs took me a while to appreciate but now I don't think I will ever be able to love another speaker. The smoothness of the bass compared to the slam of monitor-style speakers really has me spoiled. I wonder about the CW vs Heresy comparison. I could really use an extra square inch or two in my living room. What is the sacrifice?

Joe

That IS aggravating cubdog...there was a pristine pair of Quartets in Walnut Oil near me...the eBayer INSISTED on shipping them (and I told her we could make the exchange at a place of her choosing and I could pay ahead of time VIA PayPal)...she sold them on eBay for about $70 LESS than I offered AND had to pack them up and ship them...

Just wasn't my day I guess.

Bill

I'm not a power user on Ebay but I've about 75 transactions and have a perfect rating.

In my book, when someone lives 45 minutes away and won't let you come pick them up, something is VERY WRONG. For him to insist on the cost and time and risk of packing them up when he could help you load them and take your money in 15 minutes, there must be a scam in there somewhere.

Don't feel badly. Pat yourself on the back for avoiding a bad deal.

For you all that want the numbering key, here you go:

Klipsch, Dating Cornwalls:
1962 A
1963 B
1964 C
1965 D
1966 E
1967 F
1968 G
1969 H
1970 I
1971 J