promedia ultra 2.0: sometimes no sound

Godai85

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had my PM Ultra 2.0s for a couple of years now and have loved
the sound. I have had two problems with the speakers thus far (the second problem an ongoing issue):

Problem
1:
I've experienced the dirty volume pot problem which was causing audio drop outs in the left speaker and terrible noise when the audio volume knob was rotated.

Solution: I used Deoxit cleaner on the volume pot and it cleared up the issue like magic...no more snap, crackle, pop, or loss of audio in the left channel due to the volume pot.

Problem 2: I'm now experiencing the
audio dropping out of the right speaker, either completely, partially,
or coming in and out rapidly. On occasion the audio in both speakers
will come in and out rapidly (about two or three times per second) with
a high pitched clicking sound each time it comes in and out.I took
apart the speaker in search of loose wire connections and found none.
After reassembling the speaker I believe I have now isolated the
problem to the power cable (near where it attaches to the speaker). I can make the problem appear and disappear by fiddling with the position of the power cable which leads me to believe that it is caused by a failing/shorting cable. I initially thought it might be the three prong power connector on the unit, but now I do not believe it is the power connector as I can hold that thing tight (in an isolated position) in the socket and still cause the symptoms by fiddling with the power cable's position.

Proposed Solution: I think that perhaps splicing the power cable at the end where I'm having issues OR replacing the power supply/cable might be the only way to go. Sadly, the power cable and power supply are a single unit so I'd have to pay $25.00 for a new one.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can they check to see if this is the cause of their issues as well?

Dave

Problem 2: I'm now experiencing the
audio dropping out of the right speaker, either completely, partially,
or coming in and out rapidly. On occasion the audio in both speakers
will come in and out rapidly (about two or three times per second) with
a high pitched clicking sound each time it comes in and out.I took
apart the speaker in search of loose wire connections and found none.
After reassembling the speaker I believe I have now isolated the
problem to the power cable (near where it attaches to the speaker). I can make the problem appear and disappear by fiddling with the position of the power cable which leads me to believe that it is caused by a failing/shorting cable. I initially thought it might be the three prong power connector on the unit, but now I do not believe it is the power connector as I can hold that thing tight (in an isolated position) in the socket and still cause the symptoms by fiddling with the power cable's position.

Proposed Solution: I think that perhaps splicing the power cable at the end where I'm having issues OR replacing the power supply/cable might be the only way to go. Sadly, the power cable and power supply are a single unit so I'd have to pay $25.00 for a new one.

Just an FYI that currently I'm propping up the power cable with an old battery which keeps it in a position where it never has an issue with audio popping in and out on me.

I feel I should preface this post with the fact that I own an original set of promedia 4.1s purchased in 1999 and not the 2.1s. As I rarely connect the rear speakers anymore, and since this thread was active today I thought this the best place to complain/share.

Anywho... After owning them six months the static volume knob twists began to manifest, but as I seldom adjusted the volume with the knob it was never really a problem. After two years and a move, the static riddled twists also often resulted in a loss of the left channel of audio (at the time, something I attributed to being damaged in moving). Starting today however, in addition the fun stuff above, the right channel has considerable distortion on all but the highest frequencies (call it 5-10kHz on up), and lowest volumes (probably just can't hear it). So I'm going by radio shack tomorrow to pick up my can of deoxit, but I figured I'd ask the community their thoughts before I pulled the trigger.

Also, before I pm Mister Clean for a new control pod (what with its fancy on/off switch and accessory jacks), the company I work for is a direct dealer for Klipsch, and I was wondering If Klipsch themselves still offered the CP-1 so that I might purchase it at a discount.

Well, thanks for listening, any help would be much appreciated.

p.s. If you're out there reading this Klipsch... seriously, come on. At least publish the model numbers of the potentiometers used so people can do something. It's almost the least you could do, as opposed to the nothing you seem to be doing now.

Perhaps when the Z-5500s drop under $200 shipped again...

So I'm going by radio shack tomorrow to pick up my can of deoxit, but I figured I'd ask the community their thoughts before I pulled the trigger.

The deoxit did the trick for me. After removing the face plate and the rubber knob cap I gave the volume pot a couple of treatments letting the Deoxit seep down through the front of the volume cap. After it dried out the thing is almost good as new. I still hear a little bit of static at the very high end of the volume setting, but it's barely audible and it's clean as can be through the rest of the rotation.

Best of luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to try and fix the problem with a new power supply. It turns out that I did have a faulty connection there and so it fixed the issue where the speakers will come in and drop out rapidly; however, I still have other problems that were not fixed. Usually after an hour or so of usage the right speaker will still drop out partially which can sometimes be fixed by fiddling with the volume pot, and sometimes not. I contacted support and they mentioned a possible fix would be to blow compressed air into the control electronics, which I did, but that still did not resolve the issue.

After going through all these motions and not having total success I have broken down and purchased a pair of M-Audio AV30s which I hope will stand the test of time. It's a shame because these speakers sounded phenomenal for their size and price.

I had the same problem, easy fix, open the speaker with the volume pot, and then spray some DeOxit into the pot and turn it back and forth for about a minute, it will start to feel looser and kind of "cheap" feeling, but that is a good sign, then spray a little more and do it one more time, after that you should be all set. And then you can wire them in with your M-Audio av30's, and have a killer sound mix, of course now i have to wonder why you didn't just go with the av40's? and also for powered moniters the KRK Rokit's are excellent, and i know for a fact that they stand up to the test of time. My Buddy Chris has them and he can kill just about anything, he has had his for atleast 4 years now and he abuses them, and yet they still keep kicking! But let me know how those M-Audio's work out for you over time, I like them as well and they are inexpensive, I like that! lol.

I had already done the deoxit trick which helped quite a bit, but then I still had the issue with the coming in and dropping out repeatedly which is why I bought the extra power supply. When I realized the PSU wasn't the only remaining problem I just threw in the towel. I don't have the time to keep fiddling with a finicky set of speakers right now so...oh well.

As far as the AV30s go, I didn't get the AV40s partially because of desk space and also budget. I have another set of much nicer M-Audio speakers in another location that I can use for final music mixes if I need to and I just needed some cheap but decent computer speakers that won't give me the headaches that I've been having with the Promedia Ultra 2s.

I hadn't ever looked at KRK. I'll keep them in mind if I'm ever in the market again. Thanks for the heads up!

• 3 weeks later...

Another "me too" reply. My PM 2.0 speakers lasted about 14 months. I realize I can fix them temporarily with the DeOxit, but I really don't think I should have to. $100 speakers should last longer than a year. I have two pairs of Yamaha speakers. While neither of them sound as good as the PM 2.0s (while they worked,) they have also lasted me 12 years with no problems, and the more expensive pair only cost $60.

The fact that Klipsch made a bad product is no big deal. I'm sure most, if not all, manufacturers make a lemon every so often that dies prematurely. What really angers me is the way they've handled it. When I emailed Klipsch and mentioned that they were out of warranty, I was told that I should send them somewhere else for repairs, which I would have to pay for. I asked if they could just send me a replacement potentiometer so that I could solder it in myself and was told that they don't do that.

The reason I picked Klipsch after carefully evaluating my choices was because I assumed:

1. Klipsch made a better product
  2. They would stand behind it if anything went wrong, even if it was out of warranty

Being wrong on #1 is no big deal, but Klipsch's apathetic response to it was really disappointing. I bought the PM 2.0s thinking that I'd be able to use them for 10+ years, just like the Yamahas, only with better sound. I only got one year out of them.

This was my first Klipsch product, and it is most certainly my last.

Just adding the the other responses...I purchased my speakers 13 months ago and have started having the same problem...static and right speaker cutting out related to the volume knob. I'm going to try the DeOxit, but must say I'm very disappointed with the way Klipsch is handling this problem and will not be purchasing anything else from them.

DeoxIT is NOT a temporary fix...mine have been powered 24/7 for over a year now after the one time DeoxIT...never had the problem again...the DeoxIT will clean the pot and leave just a bit of lube behind...I believe this little bit of lube is what is missing...so give 'er a try and please report back...I think you will be happy again...

Bill

It would have been nice if Klipsch had replied with the DeOxit fix months ago when I contacted them, but they didn't. Instead, they told me to pay to have them fixed. I didn't see this thread about the DeOxit fix (I didn't know Klipsch had forums) until recently. By then, I had already yanked the amplifier out of the enclosure (Klipsch said they would not ship replacement pots either,) and turned the PMs into passive speakers for an external amplifier, as the drivers and crossovers are still good. I ended up replacing them with a pair of Alesis, which I'm guessing will last a lot longer than 14 months.

Once again, my problem isn't with them building a faulty product--that happens. My problem is with their "it's out of warranty, so you're screwed" response, and their inaction and apathy. I expect this kind of customer service from some no-name company based in China, but not from Klipsch.

I emailed customer support expressing my dissatisfaction with how they have handled this problem and that I would not buy any more Klipsch products.

I received the following response:

"An option would be to airdust the inside of the
master speaker and volume control knob. Use canned
compressed air. To do this, remove the grill and
the 10 screws on the faceplate of the master
speaker. You will then be able to carefully pull
the faceplate out and expose the inside of the
volume knob. Airdust that entire area. That may
solve the problem altogether. If you have any
other questions, feel free to ask.

Just in case that does not work I am posting a
link below to our clearance website where you may
purchase a new set for only $50.00."

I can't believe they would suggest that I buy another pair of these faulty speakers from them!!

Last year I had a Line 6 Guitar Port that went dead one month after the warranty went out...same as these Klipsch speakers. I contacted Line 6 and even though the warranty had just expired, they still sent me a replacement for free. That's great customer service and they won me over despite having a faulty unit. Klipsch has what looks like a widespread problem with these units and they offer no acceptable solution. I now have to buy a $15 cleaner and hope it fixes the problem. When I someday spend another $2-3000 to replace my current home theater speakers with another set, Klipsch will be out of the running over bad customer service on a pair of faulty $100 speakers...smart business plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up to my speaker problem...I tried DeOxit and while there is still a static sound when turning the volume knob, the right speaker no longer cuts out. Good enough since I use a inline volume control instead of the knob. Hopefully this fix lasts.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps and quells some of your fears about these ProMedia
Ultra 2.0s...quick recap...I have two pairs of these...one pair I
bought at Best Buy...gave them to the GF for her computer...she LOVES
music and these speakers are FAR better than the speakers that came
with her Dell...she leaves them powered ON all the time and has never
had ANY issues with them...coming up on two years of service...

I had hesitated in the past to mention my issues with my pair as I
bought them as returns from Best Buy...I just figured that I bought
someone else's problem and mine could be "cured" by adjusting the
volume/power switch on and off (a nice clue to a dirty switch)...static
and pops along with drop outs...but I did buy mine "second hand."

I believe I just cured the problem with suggestions here and I wanted to share...

*things needed to begin...small phillips head screwdriver, can of DeOxit cleaner and DeOxit Gold conditioner, patience...

*take a small "phillips head" screw driver and remove the 10 screws
from the left speaker (bass volume power unit)...be careful not to
strip the screw heads and also in removing the "top cover" as it is
connected to the base unit by wire...don't want to break that...

*remove cover from base unit but don't detach wire...you can see the
"pot" for both the Bass control and for the Power/Volume
control...spritz the DeOxit into the "slot" on these both...

*wait a short amount of time (5 minutes at most) follow up with DeOxit Gold conditioner...work the two knobs back and forth...

*reassemble top and screw down 10 phillips head screws...not too tight...it is steel going in to plastic!

*wait a half hour or so just to be sure that the liquid has evaporated and left the lubricant and conditioner...

*reattach all connections...feel how the controls glide instead of turn stiffly (as mine were)...

*listen to your favorite selection of music and don't worry about drop offs or pops anymore...:D

I recommend DeOxit only because on a receiver two years ago I tried
other products and they worked for for about an hour before problems
re-occurred...when I FINALLY tried DeOxit on so many other's
recommendation, success...that receiver still sounds as new today as it
did when I cleaned and conditioned with the DeOxit products last year!

If you hae a Fry's Electronics, you can get DeOxit as cheap as
anywhere else but it may be about $16 bux or so...just a little goes a
long way...

Hope this helps!

I thought this might be best reposted a it seems to help...the original set I bought just starting acting up with a staticy volume switch...almost three years now I think and this pair never had the DeoxIT fix applied to it...my second pair that had the problem is STILL going great after the fix going on 19 plus months ago...

Bill