promedia ultra 2.0: sometimes no sound

Godai85

I've tried this a few times on my speakers and the right one still does not work correctly.

No problems with the left.You have to turn the volume up all the way to hear the right.

So static, just low sound.

Any ideas?

I was surfing the net looking for computer speakers and low & behold I found this thread.

I have the exact problem described here with my Promedia ultra 2.0 speakers !

Purchased June 2006, the on / off volume control "routine" started after approx. 6

months use.

The audio from these speakers sound amazing, ...so I learned to live with the problem.

I noticed that this thread started in 2006, ...any permanent solution found yet ?

Thanks in advance,

Si

I posted on this a few months ago... Thanks to the good folks on this board, I found the
DeOxit solution. After
removing the 10 screws (at least 2 too many) the rest was simple and
the full volume control, crackle-free sound, and quality audio was
restored -- for a while.

After about a month left on the same volume, I tried the Volume
knob again. This time, no response at all. The
sound is okay, but stuck at a set volume. I have to use the OS and
application volume controls to set volumes. This is probably okay too,
but WTF? The Bass knob has also failed entirely.

I will probably try the DeOxit again, but at this point I've lost all enthusiam. These speakers are still less than a year old. The speed at which they failed, the breadth of the known problem, and the poor company response are all things I've chalked up to experience. I'm too busy to play with them any more and will likely toss them for a new, different brand. These speakers seemed too good to be true for their price point and they were.

I don't know why people who have speakers that are under warranty complain but don't get the speakers fixed...as for the above "fix" I have had ne relapses...I feel bad for those who have had problems and have given up...hopefully for some of youthe fix has worked and for those still under warranty I hope you too get relief...if you have given up...well...you are probably already gone...(apologies to the Eagles)

Bill

I sent mine in under warranty. The second pair failed sooner than the first.

The Deoxit solution has not worked for me. Knobs turn smooth but still only low level sound from the right speaker.

I love Klipsch and will stick to the Heritage stuff, but this experience,

seeing everyone elses problems, has turned me off of any other items they may offer.

Was thinking about the earphones but don't want to spend over $100 and go through the same deal again.

My 1980's Heresys are still going strong. You'd think the modern stuff would be built better but I guess they really

don't build them like they used to.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a follow-up report from my first post on 31 March 2009:

I sent an email to > Amy.Unger@Klipsch.Com < with a reasonable description of the existing "issue"

with the Promedia Ultra 2.0. [approx. 14 days ago]

With something like 144 posts related to the subject, it would be fair to say that the customer service dept.

"IS" aware of the fact that the Ultra 2.0 speaker has a design or manufacturing flaw.

I did receive a reply from Amy Unger requesting further information.

I complied with her instructions and I am sorry to report that I have not heard from Amy or anyone at Klipsch

as of this writing.

I will continue to inquire Klipsch until a resonable conclusion or resolve comes forth.

Si

• 2 weeks later...

24 April 2009 [second follow-up]

Since my last post dtd 13 April 2009, Amy and I have been in contact several times via email.

The Promedia Ultra 2.0 speakers have been discontinued as most of you know and there are no

plans by the engineering department to modify or correct the "issue" that we are discussing in this thread.

I have read approx. half of the posts related to the issue, ...several suggest to leave the active speaker connected

to the power source "on" > 24/7 < .

I am happy to report that over the course of some nine days since I have tried this method I have not experienced the

"self muting" or sudden "cut off" of audio at any time.

For those of you who have posted here and have not tried leaving your Ultra 2.0 speakers connected to the power source

continually, ...please give it a try.

Let's hope that this method will also work for you!

Regards,

Si

No warranty......want to Radio Shack and $17 later was walking out with the
DeOxit....... following Bill's instructions; I opened the speaker and at first
did not see any slot to spray in the deoxit.... I just sprayed the stem and
allowed the liquid to be pulled by gravity into the barrel of the knob and then
worked it back and forth several times. Hooked everything back up and I was
awarded with "clean" sound and music....here's hoping there are no
relapses.....

I must admit that I am surprised by Klipsch's handling on this ever
present issue with these particular speakers...... I have not gotten to the
point that I would "swear off" Klipsch and look else where. Just disappointed
in the handling of this issue......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't logged in for a long time, but was finally getting so fed up with my computer speakers, I decided to check out my old fav Klipsch website. I am a loyal Klipsch fan, and that is why my 7.1 home theater has Klipsch RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's and RCW-5's. Well, a few yrs back, I bought 2 pairs of these computer speakers - 1 pair for work, and 1 pair for home. I love the sound, but hate the static, popping in and out sound, and having to turn the volume knob to get them to work. Much to my surprise, I started reading this thread. I got through about 3 pages and quickly learned this is a design or production flaw. I am disappointed, as I also purchased in-ear monitors and I love them as well. I suspect that many others did what I did - just put up with it in frustration for a long time. Now what to do - junk them and buy something else? Take them apart and monkey around with them, spending more time and money, for a possible fix? I also expected a little better from my beloved Klipsch. I'm sorry, but the copper image on my Klipsch licensed plate has been tarnished a bit.

• Like 1

Well, a few yrs back, I bought 2 pairs of these computer speakers - 1 pair for work, and 1 pair for home. I love the sound, but hate the static, popping in and out sound, and having to turn the volume knob to get them to work. Much to my surprise, I started reading this thread. I got through about 3 pages and quickly learned this is a design or production flaw. I am disappointed, as I also purchased in-ear monitors and I love them as well. I suspect that many others did what I did - just put up with it in frustration for a long time. Now what to do - junk them and buy something else? Take them apart and monkey around with them, spending more time and money, for a possible fix?

Hunt, ...please read the above posted by 'Sine Wave', could be of help to you also ?

[ DO NOT TURN THE SPEAKERS OFF ! - THEY SHOULD BE POWERED UP ALL THE TIME: >>> 24 / 7 <<< ]

I also had given up hope but loved the sound of the ProMedia ultra 2.0 speakers, ...once I did not turn them off the 'self-muting' issue was corrected !

Good luck,

Si

Thanks, SW. 'll give it a try. In the past it didn't help me much because I would always hit the volume on the knob, thus further complicating matters. I'll try to stick with the volume on my computer only, and see if that helps. I like not having a subwoofer on or under my desk, and these do a pretty decent job in the bass dept. w/o.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the detailed instructions Bill. Looks like I'll have to use them. My Ultra 2.0's that have been in one spot in a smoke-free home have gone in 1.5 years from being intermittently noisy to constant crackle and noise due to the cheap volume pot used by Klipsch.

Good quality electronics shouldn't fall apart like this and it's no telling how many of these have found their way to landfills. I wonder how many pennies they saved by using the cheapest possible supplier for some of these parts? There is no reason for the amount of these types of failures suffered by the legions of loyal Klipsch fans.

I'll let you know how it works after I get some of the Caig product.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi hardway, would you please email me the part number for both volume and the bass potentiometers and where did you get it and also how to hook it up. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter. Your info would be a great help for me to restore my Promedia 2.0

Best regards,

Kha Nguyen

PS...oops...here is my email :) nguyenk408@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

Wanted to throw in - I've got a pair I use at work and love them to death...other than having had to jack around with that stupid volume pot a couple of times. It's apparently due for a 3rd teardown now (or replacement)...so I've got the volume set where it does work and adjust with software until I get around to it. I've had to mess with a couple other pairs I recommended when they did the same thing too.

They're honestly a spectacular sounding setup for what they are but it's pretty ridiculous they're let down so badly by one cheap part. Props to hardway for his guide.

Out of warranty or not, how about a bone here Klipsch? Source quality replacement parts we can buy for cost or something and provide a guide on your site.

• 1 month later...

I, too, share the frustration of a faulty design and/or inferior parts. Deoxit didn't work for me.

I replaced the volume control, using an ALPS 50,000 ohm audio taper pot from Mouser Electronics. Mouser is a reputable, large, mail order operation owned by Berkshire Hathaway (think Warren Buffett). The stock number is 313-1240F-50K and it cost $3.16. Buy a few extras for spares. ALPS is a well know maker of quality pots.

Here's how I repaired mine. This required tools (phillips screwdriver, pliers, soldering iron, solder wick, solder), patience, and parts.

1. Remove the grille and screws.

2. Remove the front panel with the speakers. The wire harness is long enough to set the speakers next to the cabinet.

3. Remove the silicone holding the LED to the front panel.

4. Carefully remove the circuit board assembly, using pliers to pull it straight out.

5. Now the hard part - unsolder the volume control assembly from the board, being very careful to use just enough heat with solder wick on each terminal. Remove the assembly.

6. Remove all solder from the holes. Solder wick was not good enough so I used an Edsyn Soldapullt vacuum device.

7. Test that the pot solder pins fit into the holes before soldering anything.

9. Install a wire jumper (or outboard switch with a wire going out the back vents) where the two switch pins were located, at the back of the pot.

10. Install the pot into the metal holder, put the assembly into the holes, then solder the assembly, pot, and jumper, being carefull to keep the pot shaft positioned so that it will fit through the front hole. I put the knobs on and aligned the pot as best I could.

11. Test the unit, hooking up the power supply, speakers, and input before putting the board back into the case. Hopefully, it works.

I've got my fingers crossed that the problem was inferior parts and not faulty design. Otherwise, I'll be back to replacement. Good luck.