Cornwall and 45 SET

jcmjrt

I got the second MC-240 figuring that I might very well be rehoming it soon but when I put it in the system and ran them as monoblocks, I was pretty wowed at how much better it sounded. I'm not sure why - it might be increased power but the Cornwalls are so efficient that doesn't sound right...so I'm guessing that maybe it's the separate power supplies. I don't know why but I can tell you that the monoblock'd 240s sound better than one in stereo.

Not that you are going to end up tossing out the DRD but me thinks both your 240's are comprimised in some way. I've rebuilt many and when working correctly the last thing they need is more power from bridging while this may have masked the actual power or drive problem you were having when running them as intended this will indeed smear the sound you hear but give what seems like a more controlled sound from masking the real issue with brute force. They actually make over 50 absolute solid watts with both channel driven with out breaking a sweat "if they are working properly". It just seems strange to me. electrically and common sense wise it makes no sense on Klipsch speakers.

Craig

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the second MC-240 figuring that I might very well be rehoming it soon but when I put it in the system and ran them as monoblocks, I was pretty wowed at how much better it sounded. I'm not sure why - it might be increased power but the Cornwalls are so efficient that doesn't sound right...so I'm guessing that maybe it's the separate power supplies. I don't know why but I can tell you that the monoblock'd 240s sound better than one in stereo.

I'm becoming more and more a believer in hearing it for yourself. What you think might work doesn't and what shouldn't work does, what sounds good to you may not sound good to me. I think that LaScalas sound good but there's Tom B who will go on (and on!) about how horrible they are (buzzsaw is usually in there somewhere). I heard some speakers - Zu Druids - that are supposed to be so wonderful (and with a yamamoto amp which should be a good match) and I thought they were absolutely horrid. When I'm in a politic mood, I would call them colored...or say that they have a signature sound.

I was surprised at the fairly consistent negative initial response to running Cornwalls on a 45SET and probably would never have gone further down that road but I HEARD a 45SET on Chorus IIs and then I was pretty sure that it would work well. I don't think that anyone who was negative actually stated that they had tried or heard Cornwalls on a 45SET. I'm here to let people know that I've actually heard it...it's not a rumor and it's not figuring from a piece of paper on what should or shouldn't work...and at least one person thinks it sounds great (actually it was a roomful of folk who heard the 45SET on the Chorus speakers and thought it was great). I'll end up running my combo past some other audiofriends to check basic sanity. But I'll have to say....There's nothing like hearing it for yourself!!

Glad you enjoy them as I do! - I've had them for 3 years, and I can buy any amplifier I want! I think you are right on the money, and the fuss that was mentioned is other people saying that there must have been something wrong with your Macs. Mind you, these people are reading spec sheets and drawing conclusions without actually listening to what you have! You have decided that you prefer the sound of your DRD45s with a measly 1.8 watts per channel over your Macs. I did too!

The anti-SET noise here is loud enough that it almost prevented you from even trying the DRD45s with Cornwalls. Luckily you you came across a system with similar speakers. I don't care if folks here want to buy SS, Push Pull or SET - But to tell someone to not even try it and not to 'waste your time' or 'There is no way it could work' is closed minded, petty and rude! - I have heard these same people profess that the DRD45s cannot play certain music to 'satisfactory' levels with 104db speakers also!

Bottom line - Listen for yourself - make your own mind up. -

I'm becoming more and more a believer in hearing it for yourself. What you think might work doesn't and what shouldn't work does, what sounds good to you may not sound good to me. I think that LaScalas sound good but there's Tom B who will go on (and on!) about how horrible they are (buzzsaw is usually in there somewhere). I heard some speakers - Zu Druids - that are supposed to be so wonderful (and with a yamamoto amp which should be a good match) and I thought they were absolutely horrid. When I'm in a politic mood, I would call them colored...or say that they have a signature sound.

I was surprised at the fairly consistent negative initial response to running Cornwalls on a 45SET and probably would never have gone further down that road but I HEARD a 45SET on Chorus IIs and then I was pretty sure that it would work well. I don't think that anyone who was negative actually stated that they had tried or heard Cornwalls on a 45SET. I'm here to let people know that I've actually heard it...it's not a rumor and it's not figuring from a piece of paper on what should or shouldn't work...and at least one person thinks it sounds great (actually it was a roomful of folk who heard the 45SET on the Chorus speakers and thought it was great). I'll end up running my combo past some other audiofriends to check basic sanity. But I'll have to say....There's nothing like hearing it for yourself!!

Glad you enjoy them as I do! - I've had them for 3 years, and I can buy any amplifier I want! I think you are right on the money, and the fuss that was mentioned is other people saying that there must have been something wrong with your Macs. Mind you, these people are reading spec sheets and drawing conclusions without actually listening to what you have! You have decided that you prefer the sound of your DRD45s with a measly 1.8 watts per channel over your Macs. I did too!

The anti-SET noise here is loud enough that it almost prevented you from even trying the DRD45s with Cornwalls. Luckily you you came across a system with similar speakers. I don't care if folks here want to buy SS, Push Pull or SET - But to tell someone to not even try it and not to 'waste your time' or 'There is no way it could work' is closed minded, petty and rude! - I have heard these same people profess that the DRD45s cannot play certain music to 'satisfactory' levels with 104db speakers also!

Bottom line - Listen for yourself - make your own mind up. -

The rude calling the rude ....rude. Your one of the ruder people I know..........but then I'm rude at times also. Were all rude. The comments I made were from, ACTUAL EXPERIENCE WITH THE 240 AMPLIFIER. I NEVER SAID HE WOULD LIKE THE DRD 45's LESS. MORE or ANYTHING THE LEAST BIT DEROGATORY about his new amplifiers. I simply made a suggestion that his comparison just about surely is based on flawed versions of the 240. Hell to tell you the truth I don't care for the 240 all that much myself and I surely know for a fact BRIDGING THEM it not going to make me like it more.

Craig

I don't see anything the matter with owning a 45 SET amp for certain instances under certain conditions, when one has another amp to use for more demanding circumstances. If you have hearing damage and can never listen to music at the level where it sounds natural, it might be okay for you too. But to recommend it as a full-service, general all around amp would be bad advice. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with recommending it as a specialized amp for a listener who has experienced and likes the low power SET treatment.

Think of a car analogy. Yes, a Fiat might be fun to drive around in, but it'd be a poor choice for hauling wood. Now, it's true, you can fit a couple logs in its trunk. Does that negate the statement that it's a poor choice for hauling wood?

Yup the 45 amp is for listening to music. Most all types except for Rap, Polka and Marches! - Since there are no satisfying notes in these genres, you can buy any cheap amp. No sense wasting a SET amp for this purpose.

Also do not buy a SET amp if you want to Harm your hearing or Haul Wood.

No No No...

Music preference is like food preference. You can't judge!

...except for Dean who really listen to pure crap.