DFW Hornheads get-together on Sat. Sept. 23

Seadog

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wardsweb's photos (see the link a couple of posts above) are much better than mine.

Great photos Luther, and we really enjoyed you and Fred

coming. I really must try to attend some of the Lone Star

Bottlehead events!

FYI: if you click on the thumbnail it will open a medium size picture.

Click on that picture and it will open up the larger version.

Seadog - again, I had a great time. You have some fantastic gear and it

all sounded good. Plus a lot of fun to play around tweaking and

learning.

Maybe I don't get out much, but the afternoon over at Seadogs place was more fun than I've had for a while! Even though I, too, had to leave early (way too early!), it was a super afternoon! David's got a great place, super equipment, and good friends!

Thanks, David, for being the perfect host!

Let's do it again!

Rob

WOOT!! It rocked. I had a blast. It was great to listen to the mighty KHorns, see fellow Hornheads, hear great tunes, and partake in some great food and drink.

I would agree with David's assessment of the tweeters. The amplification made a difference with my preference as well.

Once again David thank you for being such a great host! Unless someone else plans one sooner I will have a "east side" get together at my house late winter.

Laters,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I didn't write my impressions sooner but I wanted time to contemplate the Seadog Home Listening Experience. First of all thank you (David) very much for having the get-together. Your hospitality was excellent and I apologize for having more than my share of burgers.[D]

I also enjoyed listening to your Khorns. That was the first time in 20 years that I had a chance to appreciate that sound again in a home envirnment. I had several thoughts (not that you asked):

1) When I sat slightly off from the sweet-spot I thought they sounded really nice and thought the material we listened to sounded crisp and clear. I now understand why there is still so many 2 channel folks around. It wasn't until I was invited to sit in the middle of the 2 speakers that I had the OMG experience. I have read others say that they don't reproduce acoustic guitars as well real world situations--If that's the case then I need to find out what trickery has been happening when I have enjoyed live performances of the same instrument. The realism of that sound has left an impression on me.

2) I probably don't have as refined of ear as most that were there, but I liked the "stock" tweeter (can't remember the stock number) better than the "moded" one, although if you didn't switch them out I'm sure my impression of the new one still would be extremely favorable.

3) I am still mainly a multi-channel kind of guy, but I've pulled out my records (do they still call them that?) and am trying to figure out what to do about my turntable situation (I will post questions on another thread).

As incredible as the K-horns sounded and if forced to choose--I still prefer the sound sitting in the middle of my 7/9 speakers and 2 subwoofers and either watching and/or listening to quality material made for that format. Of course that is a choice between 2 incredible sonic experiences. It's also a choice that Seadog doesn't have to make.

After the 2 channel experience we went upstairs to the Cornwall (3)/ Heresy (2)/Klipsch sub Home Theater and watched the 2nd disk of "Pulse." All I can say is that I understand completely why folks like their Cornwalls (after hearing them here and at eq shadimar's HT) and aren't "upgrading" them to anything else. I feel the same way about my RF-7 based HT. [;)] I have to admit I am not as fond of the Heresies as some on this board, however in Seadog's set-up I thought they blended as well as anything I've heard.[Y]

I also enjoyed another contemporary DVD that we watched and want to thank the person who sent it. I won't say more because I don't know where the "sworn to secrecy oath" I agreed to stands.[H]

It was great seeing all of you DFW Hornheads again and thank you Wardsweb for bringing over your 1 watt amp. That is the first time I have heard one and it gives me something else to explore as I contemplate (re) starting my 2 channel experience at home. [:)]

tkd,

Thanks for the kind review.

The old Corns and Heresys really work well in an HT setup, but I really need to get over to hear your Reference HT one of these days.

Regarding the tweeters on the Khorns, IMO some source material sounds better on the K77s and some on the APT-200s. The only solution is to keep both with the ability to switch. So far, my wife hasn't said anything about the extra tweeter on top of each Khorn [:)]

I'll see you at eq shadimar's east side get together!

Sdog