ZENITH RADIO RESTORATION/RESURRECTION

DRBILL

This is the postmortem on the resurrection of the 1939 ZENITH #5529 that was referenced in my earlier post about measuring the value of the field-coil/choke.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

All earlier concerns were ultimately dismissed. I replaced the combination field-coil (for the speaker magnet)/choke with a 10W resistor of the same impedance with no ill effect. The choking factor was apparently minimal. As an overkill, I doubled the last stage of filtering to 16mfd 500V. There is no hum.

All tubes were replaced. NOS replacements were amazingly inexpensive. Unlike audio tubes, they are not in any demand --$3-6.

I replaced all paper/wax capacitors and electrolytics. The silver-mica caps were amazingly within specs.

I did a careful alignment using a Heathkit IG-102 RF generator (which I bought on e-bay, re-tubed and calibrated for this project). It took three passes to satisfy me.

The results were stunning. When this was manufactured, stations were few and far between. Sensitivity was paramount. Bandwidth was broad because there was little danger of adjacent station interference.

The AM stations received sounded as good as FM because of the wide bandwidth. Those of you who are older will remember how we would de-tune stations slightly to the left or right of frequency to improve high frequency response. (We knew when we had gone too far when the announcer started to lisp!). This radio has a 3W output into a hefty transformer. The speaker replacement was a heavy duty item with a massive magnet. I couldn't believe how good it sounded.

On short-wave, the sensitivity was stunning. I sat up fairly late to take advantage of the skip. Stations were almost on top of each other from every continent.

I hate to give it up. But it is for an old buddy who is sick from a bad blood disorder and wanted to hear the old family radio again. Ill probably look for one of my own. There is nothing of this quality available today.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions and other comments following the original post. If any of you undertake something similar, let me know. I have the knack of things, plus the tools. I'll be glad to loan you the RF generator and the "how-to" literature.

My wife found a "golden-oldie" station with the kind of music we heard in the late '30s-early '40s. We expected to find ourselves in an episode of "Twilight Zone" at any moment!

DRBILL

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now, if you recall, some time ago you indicated that you would share some non-privileged information regarding your relationship with PWK. While anything you'd be willing to share would be of interest, I'm specifically interested in whether your knowledge and ownership of Klipsch speakers preceded your acquaintance with Paul W. Klipsch.

If you think this was something else, wait until you get your hands on an E. H. (not H. H.) Scott radio. You'll understand where McIntosh got the idea to chrome-plate everything.

Capehart also had some nice radios. My Sunday School teacher had a Capehart which was a tri-amped (!) cornerhorn (!!)

Sounds like fun.

Was thinking of your post when I ran across this yesterday for a dollar.

"Radio Troubleshooting Handbook" (3rd Edition) by Alfred A. Ghirardi, 1943, 700 pages.

Troubleshooting guides, looks like hundreds of radios are covered even old record changers.

Free to you or anybody else who could use this.

If I don't respond right away it's because I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow.

Glad to see another fine old radio come to life.

My dad's been repairing (now restoring) tube radios since '51...what passionately started as a hobby has finally become a business since he's retiring this month (here's his website if interested)...old Zenith consoles and tabletop radios are his specialty, but he restores 'em all!

As a matter of fact, my dad now has pics posted on his site of a custom built 6-tube regenerative shortwave receiver he built for our very own Erik Mandaville here on the Klipsch Forums (they're on the same home page as the link above). Erik claims to listen to this radio quite often and very impressed with its quality and craftsmanship (gotta brag a little...it's my dad afterall, the same man who built a 19 rank residential pipe organ in his home, now sold unfortunantly but going to a good home up in the mountains of NC).