"Mega" '70's receivers

richieb

Anyone have any good methods of cleaning and shining up the silver faces on this vintage stuff? I was thinking of using a wadding cloth like Never-Dull, and just staying away for the silk-screening and glass. I'm afraid to get alcohol and Q-tips close to the lettering, for fear of ruining it. So just curious what you all have done to spiff up your vintage stuff.

Jeremy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom Left: Setton RS220, big monster, forget the wattage but probably

equal to the Sansui. From I undertsand, they are probably

re-badged Pioneers, sold in smaller stereo shops during the

heyday, so they would have a seperate stereo line to sell at their

shops. Sounds nice enough to have spent over a $100 on fixing a

cold solder joint and tuner realignment. Very cool looks.

Setton's were made in France

they manufactured the " Lafayette" brand stuff.........

surprisingly good equipment, nothing like a French auto .......[:)]

Bottom Left: Setton RS220, big monster, forget the wattage but probably equal to the Sansui. From I undertsand, they are probably re-badged Pioneers, sold in smaller stereo shops during the heyday, so they would have a seperate stereo line to sell at their shops. Sounds nice enough to have spent over a $100 on fixing a cold solder joint and tuner realignment. Very cool looks.

Setton's were made in France

they manufactured the " Lafayette" brand stuff.........

surprisingly good equipment, nothing like a French auto .......[:)]

Dukester Do you remember Lafayette Electronics Stores?......They died a quick death, big chain of stores.......good products......good value's.......AH,the old daze......[;)]

You mean these old things?

Thebes,

Is that big rascal with the rack handles a Kenwood? I can't recall the model number, but one of my roomates had one of those at 160 wpc and it was a beast.

Dee,

I think this is the one to which you are referring. I drove my Corns with one for over 20 years and now my son uses it with with a pair of KG4's. Great sounding receiver (for SS that is [;)]).

post-11821-13819308411814_thumb.jpg

I bought one of these in 1977 when I graduated high school. Bought it with summer job earnings and some graduation money. Used it to power a pair of Altec VOTTs with an old Dual turntable. Brought it to college that fall. I would say I had one of the more extreme systems for an 18' x 18' two man freshman dorm room. Pissed off a lot of my dorm mates that had their first systems and couldn't even hear them when I was just barely over idle. Can' t remember the model number of the Altecs though, the full size cabinet with the horn mounted on the top, before Tangerine plugs. When cranked you could hear it half way across campus. Not good for the grades though.

SANSUI 9090DB

Specifications:

Power Output:
125 Watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms.
classicaudio.com

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD):
less than 0.1%

FM Sensitivity:
1.7uV
classicaudio.com

FM Selectivity:
>85dB

FM Signal to Noise Ratio:
>70dB
classicaudio.com

FM Spurious Response Rejection:
>85dB

Dolby Decoder

post-17373-13819308412064_thumb.jpg

garymd, good lookin' receiver, for an SS..[;)]....160 per drivin' KG4's.....OH BOY, bet those woofers move with that beast drivin' them............in the Kids room?...Hope he doesn't listen to Rap..............."but Dad it's not too Loud"......Yes, Son.....Been there.....

He's 23 and has his own apartment. Wanted to keep it in the family though.

When he was about 2 years old, he turned the volume about 1/2 way up and flicked the on switch. That was the last time he touched that receiver until he was about 12. Scared the b'jesus out of him.[:'(]

NO RAP! I brought him up better than that!![;)]

marantz 2325/4400

DROOL!! Doug, just to help drive the prices up, what model numbers are the most prized and what kinds of prices are good to pay?

I take it that all the quad stuff and Dolby FM switches really doens't do anyone any good nowadays, right? So really half the button get no use on some of the complex models?

I'd maybe be looking for a mid-powered unit, maybe 60-80 wpc, kind of in the line up like my HK730. But I do love that big tuning dial and the blue lights! I gotta get me one of those.

And does Thebes wish to adopt-a-kid?

garymd, good lookin' receiver, for an SS..[;)]....160 per drivin' KG4's.....OH BOY, bet those woofers move with that beast drivin' them............in the Kids room?...Hope he doesn't listen to Rap..............."but Dad it's not too Loud"......Yes, Son.....Been there.....

He's 23 and has his own apartment. Wanted to keep it in the family though.

When he was about 2 years old, he turned the volume about 1/2 way up and flicked the on switch. That was the last time he touched that receiver until he was about 12. Scared the b'jesus out of him.[:'(]

NO RAP! I brought him up better than that!![;)]

LUCKY MAN...............Mine was home for summer, 22, loves that rap ship, listen to what he wants, not what the old man wants...........I tried to show him the Classic's but No Good, College Boys.......Don't tell me he doesn't crank those things now and then, although, the KG4's get to a certain level, and there is no more.........like I said, Lucky Man.......

Dukester Do you remember Lafayette Electronics Stores?......They died a quick death, big chain of stores.......good products......good value's.......AH,the old daze......[;)]

Lafayette ..??

oh yea .....used to get tubes, resistors, you name it there

...what about Allied???

Bill

I am surprise no one has mention anything about the pioneer sx-1980.I own two of those at almost 90lbs each.it's amazing seeing people on ebay are bidding over 1k for it.to my ear.it sound just like any other receiver..

I find it very hard to read your questions...........get distracted........ya' know what I mean.??

A Thousand Dollars.....are you serious.......Hard to believe for 70's SS Junk.........EH !!! There certainaly some nice units posted here......alot of old Muscle....Good to see it....