"Mega" '70's receivers

richieb

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Gay Not Married, must mean he's Bi[6] HeHehe

I like that permanent sismic sync idea[:)]

Seti has like 15 foot ceilings in that room it would cost a fortune in chain alone! Besides he brings the beer to listen to his table at my place[:P]

He needs that stand (can't remember who makes it) that has the opposing magnets which vibration is eaten up in the void between them[H]

Another option is a wall mount. A shelf attached firmly to the wall studs then a little antivibration mounting under the TT and you should be fine. I guess I am lucky to have a concrete slab foundation. My tt is sitting on a heavy glass equipment rack. There is only a layer of carpet and padding under it before it sits on concrete. Pretty darn solid.

Jebus so many knobs [8-)]

And not just any ol' knobs, but solid, polished brass and/or aluminum knobs (God how I love 'em)! Nothing like those cheap black plastic knobs on '80s and '90s receivers (if they even have any knobs at all, replaced with cheap black plastic buttons and rocker-switches...ugh)!

At least today's retro-AV receivers and preamps are beginning to use these classic polished metal knobs once again...now if they'd look more like the classic receivers (still with state-of-the-art electronics, natch), I'd be a happy camper. That's what I admire about today's McIntosh components...still have that traditional look that's been completely modernized...gotta love that![Y]

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad you guys started this thread!! Tarheel mentioned that he had an sx-1280 and it was not being used regularly. Well, turns out that I have been looking for one for quite some time and as soon as I saw his thread I asked him if he would like his sx-1280 to go to a good home where it would be loved, cared for and used on a regular basis. To make a long story short, Tarheel was very gracious and parted with that beautiful unit and it is on it's way to me. Chuck it was a pleasure to work with you and take comfort in knowing that it will continue to live on for decades to come!!

Pioneer's biggest receiver was the SX-1980 rated at 270 wpc, this was the totl model from 1978 thru 80. This is typically the most expensive of the vintage pioneer receivers on e-bay.

However, many Pioneer collectors feel the SX-1250 (totl model from 1976 thru 78) was the better sounding receiver, it's rated for 160 wpc and typically sells for much less than the SX-1980 (assuming similiar condition, etc).

I have a SX-5580 (Black euro version of the SX-1050) rated at 120 wpc... it's more than enough for me...although I wouldn't pass on either of the above models if the price was right.[;)]