Yamaha Receiver with fixed crossover

Croy

Ok, I have been trying to set this up for a while. I have a sub-12 and a yamaha htr 5930. My problem is that this receiver has a fixed crossover(I think) at 100 hz. My speakers are b-3 bookshelves and I would like to use them lower than 100hz.

My first question is: I have my receiver hooked up to my soundcard through multichannel input. The sound card has bass redirection and if I turn that off nothing gets sent to my subwoofer. Does that mean that the receivers crossover doesn't function when in multi channel input mode?

Second, I was thinking of hooking the sub up through high level in's and using the sub's crossover. Would I lose any sound quality doing so? Should I just take the receiver back and get a better one?

100Hz are you sure,most receivers have it at 80Hz.100Hz is way too high,starts to be directional and the boom factor is increased alot with most inespensive subs.

Yes you could use HIGH PASS,sound quality will deteriorate but at this level this is almost a non issue.

On sound cards bass redirection is to send bass(sub) signal to the front L/R (green out).

Thanks,

I'm not completely sure about the crossover.

The only thing I can find in the manual about frequency range is the lfe 0.1 channel from 20 hz to 120 hz. I doubt that means the crossover is set to 120, though, because that's really high.

"This channel reproduces low-frequency bass signals. The frequency range of this channel is from 20 hz to 120 hz. "

How would I find out what the crossover is set at? It would be helpful to know since I have 2 other crossovers I need to set at the same level.

Also, it seems like I'm the only one with a problem with my sub-12 moving. It's downfiring on hardwood floors and it moves around making an unpleasent shaking sound. Right now I just put weights on it to try and stop it from moving. If I put it on a little mini rug will it make a big differance in sound quality?

Croy, doesn't your sub have a variable crossover? I'm using two Yamaha receivers, an RX-V392 in the bedroom and an RX-V750 in the livingroom.

The 392 is an older model, and its manual states that the LFE channel is 200HZ on down, and there appears to be no adjustment. No problem, I just set the high-frequency cut-off on the subs to where it needs to be. Yes, I need two subs for the bedroom, not for the volume, but because the mattress absorbs sound and makes it obvious that the bass is coming from one side of the room.

The 750 has selectable LFE high-frequency cut-off in the audio set-up menu, and I'd be surprised if any modern AV receiver didn't have it. Anyway, your sub should have the adjustment on its control panel, along with volume and phase.

If your sub is dancing around on the floor, try putting a high-density foam pad under each foot. Thick black neoprene is ideal.

Pat on the Island

Yamaha receiver crossovers are automatically set to 90hz when you set your speakers to "small". Typically, the only time you want to set your crossovers at the sub is in two channel mode, (stereo), when you have speakers capable of going down to around 30 hz or so. In multi channel mode, you typically want to set your crossover at the receiver by setting all your speakers to "small", and disable the crossover at the sub. This will allow your receiver to properly manage all your low frequencies. If your sub does not have the means to dissable the crossover, set the crossover at it's highest value, (hopefully above the receiver's crossover point).

There has been some angst among Yamaha owners about the chosen crossover point of 90hz. A range of 60hz - 80hz would be preferred.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious, didn't the sub have some rubber pads that can attach to the feet?

I used a sub-10 on my hardwood floors with the rubber feet and the sub never moved.

I also setup an entire F-2 package at my sisters house with a yamaha 5850. The crossover was set at default at 100hz but then i manualy set it at 80hz also matching the sub crossover to 80. I recently used a rca Y-cable and found that it did increase the overall output.

And with the sound card, are you using a optical/coax out put? If you are then the crossover is all in the receiver, not the card.

• 4 months later...

I am bringing this back from the dead because I am in the exact same boat. I am using the Yamaha 5590 with some small speakers with a 110Hz to 20kHz range and my Receiver will crossover the sub at the 90Hz freq. I talked to Eric at SVS and he said that no matter where I dial the crossover on the sub it still wont receive anythig above 90Hz from the receivers output. So might as well just Disable the Subs crossover. I noticed the higher end models Yamaha carries have an adjustable crossover in the receiver. Will a loss between 90Hz and 110Hz be an issue for my ear? Is this something I will be able to pick up? I hate to replace the Receiver right now after just buying the Speakers and Sub.

You don't want your SUB picking up anything that high...you want it picking up the LOWER frequencies...that's why it's a SUB (I am not trying to be a smarta$$ here so I apologize if it seems so...been in this boat tweaking myself)...you want your full range speakers (Mains) picking up the higher notes...

My SUB goes down into the 25hZ area...the Heresys are crossed over at 80hZ I think...so the SUB is picking up all the lower signals below 80...I hope this helps...once you dial it in, you will be VERY pleased!

Good luck,

Bill

Get those crossovers up to about 200 Hz and you're talking Blo$e quality! Buy a reciever with more crossover flexibility guys. My old Yammie RXV 850 in the ProLogic days had fixed 80 Hz. That was 12 years ago.

I hear that there is an Onkyo that lets you set a different crossover for center, mains, and surrounds.

And if you have Quintets, for goodness sake use 120 Hz! Everyone else start at 80 and work your way up or down. I suggest starting 10Hz higher that the -3db downpoint of your weakest speaker. That way every speaker labeled SMALL will be able to reproduce what is asked of it with good clarity and power handling. As a STARTING POINT!

I can't wait to get into this new RXV 2600- but I'm reading the manual carefully before I plug in the first wire!

Michael

Curious, didn't the sub have some rubber pads that can attach to the feet?

I used a sub-10 on my hardwood floors with the rubber feet and the sub never moved.

I also setup an entire F-2 package at my sisters house with a yamaha 5850. The crossover was set at default at 100hz but then i manualy set it at 80hz also matching the sub crossover to 80. I recently used a rca Y-cable and found that it did increase the overall output.

And with the sound card, are you using a optical/coax out put? If you are then the crossover is all in the receiver, not the card.

If you use the Receiver to do your bass management, ie setting the crossover at 80 Hz, why not set your Sub crossover fully open- which will tell it 'play everything I send to you"? If you use the receiver's 80 Hz rolloff AND the sub at 80 Hz, you will have created a very steep (probably not optimal) crossvoer slope.