moved to Hope.

oldenough

[The chainsaw came with two chains. I would guess they are really cheap chains. Could that have anything to do with it?]

You should probably find a local chainsaw repair shop/retailer, who can sharpen your chains and troubleshoot your problem. If you bought your saw at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., they probably can direct you to a shop, who they may use for warranty work. A professional chainsaw repair person can probably make them sharper than they came. When I got my first saw, I wanted to cut off stumps at the ground, and of course went in the dirt a bit, and probably only got 4-5 hours of cutting before they needed sharpening. Your technique, the type of wood, the condition of the bark (muddy?), the initial sharpness, would all possibly contribute to chain life.

I just bought a Jonsered to replace my old Husky. The store guy told me I should get around half a days cutting out of a chain before needing to touch the chain up with a file. I keep a spare chain anyway - so I don't get caught. Also a sharp chain is much safer to cut with. Then you don't need to put much pressure on the chainsaw - it reduces the chances of the saw slipping.

Michael,

Get a Stihl. Its the only brand the fire department I was in would by. They run for ever.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

They make about a bazillion models. I have two acre lot, some large trees that need a limb down occasionally (or one chopped up that dropped voluntary). No real cutting up of existing trees- perhaps someday.

Could I just make do with a 16" homeowner type? Like a 210 model perhaps?

M

When i get a chance i'll post some of the carvings that are in town, carved by the same artist, they really are amazing. The people who owned our house previously commissioned this carving,i wont tell you how much it cost them, but you could have bought a nice pair of K-horns with the money. If it had been possible he would have taken it with him when he moved, glad he did'nt....John

Colter,

I bought a Husky 142 with 16" bar. it works great for around the house. I have removed about 30 trees so far and will be removing about 30 more in a few years.

If you remove trees, leave about 5' of stump left and hire day laborers to dig the stumps. The 5' can be used as leverage for them to get the stumps out. It was only a few hundred bucks to get all of the stumps out. No bad compared to $100 per tree that I was quoted (which was a very low quote around here).