Klipsch Neon Signs on eBay

Corvette6769

I would be worried that 1. two of the 4 bad feedbacks were concerning shipping damage. 2. 5.00 dollars for the product and 30.00 Shipping? Seems kinda high to me...........

Since other board member (s) have had a positive experience, it might work out, but to me I would wait and see if you could get something closer. ....

Let us know what you decide.

I've noticed those too. Don't they all ship from Hong Kong or something like that? That's why the shipping is so high on them.

I thought it would be cool to get at least a Klipsch one and maybe a harman/kardon or Cambridge Audio if they made those, too.

As i said before, we bought two of these. I'm not flacking for them, and I don't like seeing some elses' trademark get ripped off. These are fairly bright, even in a lit room. The quality is pretty good. The tops are extruded aluminum. I'm not sure what kind of bulb is in there. Not neon, maybe a narrow flourescent.

If this was a domestic outfit that was actually operating under license, I might consider asking them to do a few custom orders of non-commercial images.

YMMMV. Caveat Emptor, and "like dat."

First of all, the low 'buy it now' price and high shipping is a clear violation of ebay's rules against excessive shipping and handling charges to circumvent paying ebay final auction value fees. I've seen items with $49 selling prices and $290 shipping/handling.

For some reason, ebay has a set of written rules (like this one) for regular ebay sellers and an unwritten set of rules (or the rules are not enforced) for sellers with busy stores. These very high shipping/handling fees and low prices are a typical pattern with Chinese sellers, as are one seller having identical auctions under a revolving list of different ebay seller names.

This seller also lists several hundred different signs, most of which are covered by trademarks or copyright. Given the selling prices and names involved, I can pretty much guarantee that they are not paying a dime in licensing fees and these products are in violation of US and EU intellectual property laws.

However, ebay has set up a system where they will not take action (or do anything to prequalify) sellers like this, even in real IP problem areas like China, unless the trademark or copyright owner contacts them to complain. Why? Because the secret ebay motto is 'The Fees Must Flow' and ebay has a long history of failing to police fraud and IP violations. The only way these crooks will be knocked off ebay is if they fail to pay their ebay bill, or if the federal government threatens to shut down ebay unless they regulate sellers who offer trademarked goods.

People who buy these items are contributing to the problem. Telling us they are concerned with the trademark owner's rights is BS and they should be ashamed of themselves. I gues it's probably different if someone is stealing from them, but if it's stolen from somebody else and they can get a good deal......they don't care. One nice thing is that these products can be seized and destroyed by US Customs and if so, the buyer loses their money. Unfortunately, virtually none of these counterfeit or infringing products are caught by Customs.

s.gif

This listing (150036785696) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

Looked cool though, to be honest. Klipsch should be the one to make a deal on these legally. I, for one, would buy one.

First of all, the low 'buy it now' price and high shipping is a clear violation of ebay's rules against excessive shipping and handling charges to circumvent paying ebay final auction value fees. .

These very high shipping/handling fees and low prices are a typical pattern with Chinese sellers,

well, "it's a typical pattern" with Chinese Sellers ..( notice I did not say "Jap"...)

because, shipping from China is high

and thier prices are typically 30% of US pricing

I suggest you check out the cost of Japanese EMS mail, or DHL from China

before you shoot your mouth off.......[:)]

A couple of years ago I got this sign, but from a different (Hong Kong)seller who is no longer selling on Ebay. However, the material and fixture are the same. The light uses a slender fluorescent tube which comes in blue, red or white. The blue is particularly slick, though the red is nice, too. The white regular fluorescent tube isn't much to look at. I thought the quality was pretty good, for the price. The engraved/cut stock was very well done. The fixture is extruded aluminum with plastic end caps. It's pretty light weight and functions fine. It's not really comparing apples to apples though with similar fixtures available in the US. You would spend $20 or $30 dollars for the simple mini flourescent fixture and it's of substantial quality. The quality of the Hong Kong fixture is what one would expect for the price.

I could recommend highly the seller I used. Too bad he's not still around. I think the sign was $15 and the shipping was somewhat more.

Once I went back and ordered a ballast assembly from him on one that went bad. It was out of warranty, so I paid $8 for the parts.

No help on any of the current sellers. I did a search for "McIntosh neon" and found three different sellers all using the same material and fixture. Looked like one of them might be shipping from the US.