OT-- Reatta??

Rdmarsiii

That car had a lot of parts from the Pontiac Fiero (which by the way was supposed to be the "new" 1982 Pontiac GTO).

The Fiero was pulled mainly for a problem with not enough insulation between the engine bay and the passenger's compartment.

Different platform, the Fiero is mid engine, the Reatta is front engine based on the shortened GM E , called V body, the E also used by the Toronado, Riviera and Eldorado.

I'm with OB & OT as I like the German/Euro handling machines as opposed to the straightline darts of the US. Don't get me wrong though as I've owned and loved many a 70's muscle car just not my cup of tea anymore.

I'm on my 7th VW now and I'm fixing to drop rebuild cash into her because she is re-buildable (Japanese penny racers need not apply[:)]) I just hit 155,000 and she pulls like a mule but alas peripherals are in dire need of replacement to bring her back up to par.

So Oldtimer, tell me more about that VW, BMW and Spider (as in Alpha?) you might be willing to part with should the right 911 come up?

LOL. Of course. The spider is a 1971 Alfa Romeo which is real close to being back on the street if I just take a little time to do a few things. The vw is an '88 cabriolet which has an electrical gremlin I also should get off my duff and find. Low miles, good engine, straight body, nice paint. The bimmer is an'80 320i which I have been using as my daily driver, in pretty good shape except for the two major hailstorms she's been through. 190,000 miles on original engine and still runs good with minimal oil usage.

Not even thinkable to get rid of right now(although the spider is close to the same thought) are the 88 325i, the 91 Alfa Romeo 164L, and the 70 beetle. So you can see where I would have to make room somehow.

as I recall the little Fiero was designed to be a commuter car...it was the P-Car...originally desinged to be a small, decent gas mileage car for what was supposed to be the '80s worker...going with one other person (or alone) to the train station etc...when it came out, it used a lot of Chevette (yes, Chevette) parts...but by the time it came out it was hugely popular and the "Excitement Division" saw performance...they changed the direction of this car adding better and better bits and a V6 in hopes it would be the performance car that matched its good looks...by the time they discontinued them...GM had, like many others just before pulling the plug, hashed everything out and it was a pretty decent car in 1986 and 1987...there is a guy near me that does V8 (usually Small Block Chevy) conversions...V8 Archie they call him...pretty well known in Fiero circles...

Bill

The Reatta was Buick's answer to the question no one asked: i.e. who wants an over weight, under powered, front wheel drive, automatic only "personal luxury coupe," with a sloppy suspension and lousy brakes?

The answer was very - very few & GM pulled the plug after four years of disasterous sales.

James

The Reatta was Buick's answer to the question no one had asked: i.e. who wants an over weight, under powered, front wheel drive, automatic only "personal luxury coupe," with a sloppy suspension and lousy brakes?

The answer was very - very few & GM pulled the plug after a few years of disasterous sales.

James

They never gave it a fair shot........the same car would sell today..........Look at the Grand National.....Turbo's and Superchargers everywhere now.......Everyone laughed at Fuel Injection.......they haven't made a carburetored in 20+ years...General Motors gives up way to early on new models.........

The car doesn't have the ugly touch screen crt, since it is a 91. I think 89 was the last year for those.

Man, I loved the crt. Had it in an 88 Riviera and later in an 89. Ran the radio, climate control, everything. Heck, for long drives you could put in the mileage & it would tell you approx how long till you got there. Had a memo function too. All touch screen. All green may not be stylish nowadays, but you have to admit it was pretty advanced for the late 80s. It's 2006 and most cars still don't have all that.

Congrats on the Reatta. Wanted one for a while, they are pretty unique.

• Like 1