OT-- Reatta??

Rdmarsiii

So I just bought a 1991 Buick Reatta. I know.... Its a Buick... But its not your typical Buick. Not sure who all has heard of it, but they were hand built in Michigan. I wanted it because its unique. They only made 1214 of mine, so I think it will be something not many people will get a chance to see. Under the hood is a TPI 3.8. I think its quite a bit of power for a little two seater car. It has every option (yes, all three of them) Buick offered, which was 16 way power seats, sunroof, and a cd player. I've already put a new radio in it, including Focal speakers. When I got it it already had a K&N airfilter and flowmasters, but im not sure if i like how loud it is. It doesn't sound like any V6 I've ever heard. Any thoughts/opinions?

Just my opinion.

If you like it, drive it.

It may gain or lose value, but either way it won't be a lot.

So go ahead and put lots of miles on it, enjoy it, and don't feel guilty.

It has some unique appeal, but not enough to make it worth saving / storing / investing in.

- Jim

...the Buick 3.8 liter should be between 165 and 175 HP...plenty for that car and some fun...the engine is near bulletproof...they were cool cars in their day...enjoy!

Bill

You would think with that much displacement HP would be higher....for example 1988 bmw 325i 2.5L has 167 hp, 1970 1.8L Alfa injected has 135 hp, 1991 3.0L Alfa V6 has 192 hp..........bullet proof is always nice though.

That's cool, torque rules! The euro sweetness has to do with their ability to lay every bit of hp on the road because of how the torque matches up. Not to mention the handling ability. Fort Worth is close enough to me, maybe someday I can not only hear his Klipsch but catch a ride in the Reatta.

I met a woman a long time ago, a friend of a friend of a friend. She bought one new and loved it. Then she bought another used when they went out of production. This is not to imply it is lady's car; though I can't think of any such vehicle.

Well, I think it is good practice for anyone to have a car that is their signature. The money is going to be spent anyway.

Good luck with your personal machine.

Gil

Thanks for all the comments. The car does have enough power to lay a nice pair of black marks, which Im sure is helped out by the filter and exhaust. I have recharged the filter, and next on the list is an oil change, plugs and wires, and probably a new left front wheel bearing.

The car doesn't have the ugly touch screen crt, since it is a 91. I think 89 was the last year for those. I did put the biggest tire that would fit on it, 225 55 16's. It rides really well IMO. Thanks :)

My dad had a reatta for several years, until my brother wrecked it, still a sore spot at family gatherings!! I can attest to the body parts being hard to find, that's why it was totalled. The other parts are mostly from the riviera and toronado from the same years, not sure about the fiero. Most replacement parts, brakes, exhaust, shocks and such are readily available. The car had 201,000 miles on it when my brother wrecked it so it was durable and very reliable. I think it needed a water pump once. I took it to Philadelphia and to Columbus from Pittsburgh and enjoyed driving it.