What center and surrounds to match Legend KLF-20's? What about a sub?

zimm17

I have a pair of much loved KLF-20 Legends that I'd like to extend into a hometheater setup. I have an ancient pair of Bose 201 acting as surrounds right now. I'd like to get some smaller Klispch speakers that will make for a good match. Also a center channel.

And then I'm thinking about a sub to boost the real low freqs that my towers don't cover. I was thinking about an Hsu 15"- but open for recommendations.

You definately want to find a klf-C7 center. That is the correct matching center for your mains. There is usually one on ebay in the 300-350 range. Some people sell them on this forum as well. If you cant find one right away, be patient, it's worth the wait to have matching speakers up front.

For surrounds there really isnt a perfect match for the KLF mains, except more KLFs. You could get towers if space isnt an issue. Some suggest running more C7s for surround which i imagine sounds pretty great. I'd also be willing to bet ksf-s5 rears would match pretty well.

Dont know much about klipsch subs, but someone will chime in on that one.

good luck

I'm afraid he's right about the speaker match. I have a Klipsch KV2 for the center and it comes no where close to matching the sound of the Klipsch KG5.5 I have for the mains. Here are two speakers from the same manufacture that don't even match. Finding a set of speakers from two different manufactures would be imposable, I think.

That KLF20 center looks great, but I have no way to get it. I live in Virginia. I'll keep my eyes open for a C7. Right now the surrounds are my priority, I don't have room for a center speaker with my 57" rear projection HD TV- there's no flat place on top of it for a speaker. I have it set up in "phantom" mode.

I'm also thinking about a Hsu 12" sub to really get the lows.

As the others have said, the KLF-C7 is the center that was made to match the KLF-20's. For surrounds, I use a pair of Chorus II's (I know it's overkill but I found a good deal and I had to buy them). The Chorus II's tweeter is the same as the KLF-20's, so the sound won't be too far off, especially if you are just using the surrounds for HT. I use a RSW-15 as a sub and find that it is a great match with the KLF's.

If space is an issue, there are folks who use the KSP-S6 as surrounds for a KLF front (LCR) set-up. I myself would prefer a pair of KLF-C7's first and then if I couldn't do that, maybe a pair of Academies. The KSP-S6's though are going to be the smallest of the above mentioned options.

I am in a similar boat as zimm (and also in VA btw).

I have the LF-20's for front and the C7 (with modified xover) for center - and they sound great. But for space reasons I have been using a leftover set of Bose AM5's for rears (I know...) and a set of JAMO diploles for sides in a 7.1 setup. I also am using a Sunfire Junior sub, which really rocks the house.

I really want to go Klipsch all around but need smaller sized cabinets for mounting. The suggested s6's appear to be hard to find and also may be a bit big for my room so my question is will any of the smaller RS or SS series surrounds be a mistake? The size of SS1's seem to be about what I am trying to find.

I really want to go Klipsch all around but need smaller sized cabinets for mounting. The suggested s6's appear to be hard to find and also may be a bit big for my room so my question is will any of the smaller RS or SS series surrounds be a mistake? The size of SS1's seem to be about what I am trying to find.

First off, welcome to the board MSilver9.

I see that nobody has answered your question, so I'll share my experiences on this.

IMHO, yes, you will be making a mistake to go with the RS or SS surrounds. The sound is different and you will clearly notice the transition between speakers. I sold my R series speakers and went with timbre matching speakers (KSP-S6's).

I vote for the KSP-S6's. If you found a pair of KLF 20's or a C7, you can find the S6's. I know, they are a different line, but they do match extremely well. I prefer them over my KLF-10's in the rear (although I have a smaller room). Some people don't like the "sound sprayer" design. I love it - it does a good job of eliminating localization.

FWIW, since size is an issue in your room, I have found the best placement for my S6's is about 5' off the ground and the center of the speakers about 1' in front of my ears.

I hope that helps.

InFlux.

First off, welcome to the board MSilver9.

I see that nobody has answered your question, so I'll share my experiences on this.

IMHO, yes, you will be making a mistake to go with the RS or SS surrounds. The sound is different and you will clearly notice the transition between speakers. I sold my R series speakers and went with timbre matching speakers (KSP-S6's).

Please allow me to also welcome you and give you a second opinion. [;)] I have the KLF 20's/C-7 paired with Reference RS-3 WDST speakers and I think they work quite well. I guess YMMV. [:)]

I agree with TKD!!!!

Even though the Cornwalls replaced the KLF-30's, I'm still using a C-7 and the RS-3's for surrounds in my HT.

I will be experimenting with an "ALL" heritage HT shortly. (I have to find a way to incorporate a pr of K-Horns, 3 Cornwalls, and a pr of Belles). Madness...Sheer Madness!!![;)]

Just my .03 worth... and of course, YMMV.

JJ

Please allow me to also welcome you and give you a second opinion. [;)] I have the KLF 20's/C-7 paired with Reference RS-3 WDST speakers and I think they work quite well. I guess YMMV. [:)]

LOL. Yes, don't get me wrong, the reference speakers are an excellent line and they will work [;)]. In fact, I have heard the RS speakers used with non-Klipsch mains with good sucess.

Just to be clear, TKD, are you saying that you tried the S6's as surrounds in place of your reference speakers? You may very well have done this comparison, so it would be good for MSilver9 to know this before he commits several hundred $'s to a set of speakers. BTW, nice setup in your sig!

FWIW:

The RS-3's are (WxDxH): 18.7" x 7.4" x 8.5"

The KSP-S6's are: 13.4" x 7.4" x 15.13".

Good luck!

I was referencing (pun intended) this quote.

Good point [:)]

Now, the broken record of InFlux's strange obsession with the S6's continues... Here are some reviews on the S6's:

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/klipsch/surround-speakers/PRD_119947_2742crx.aspx

I thought these reviews were a little optimistic until I tried out the S6's for myself... I'm still thanking my buddy (and fellow forum member) for selling me these speakers.

I'm quite finished now, LOL!

InFlux

• 2 weeks later...