Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Oct. 2

thebes

For me the word cornocopia creates an eye's image of some big gourd

stuffed with fall harvest goodies. Well as we enter into Fall I

have some goodies for my fellow Weekly participants.

This month's winner of a Klipsch tie-tac and BS Button is:

Big Piney

Last month's winner, our own Wheelman generously declined his award and so taking his place is :

DamonPayne.

Congratulations and send me an email or PM with your mail address and it will go right out.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

New Riders of the Purple Sage, "Best Of", rock/alt-country, lp

Rooted in another time and place that really never existed, the New

Riders are very much like The Band in their approach to music.

Just cleaned this up on my new record cleaner and tossed it on, and was

glad I did. I had forgotten how many of their songs I had enjoyed

in days passed and was very pleased by the recording quality. A

can't miss recommendation.

So what do you have to share this week?

Picked up another great DVD this week.

Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry have always been one of our favorite artists and the 2000 Live in Paris DVD is one great DVD that will not disappoint.

Bryan Ferry - Live In Paris - At Le Grand Rex - March 2000

Posted Image

DVD

Format: Dolby Digital 5.1, Import, NTSC

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

DVD Release Date: Jun 19 2001

Track listing

1 The Way You Look Tonight

2 Love Me Or Leave

3 Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

4 Chance Meeting

5 Casanova

6 Where Or When

7 Bitter-Sweet

8 Out Of The Blue

9 The Only Face

10 Oh Yeah

11 You Do Something To Me

12 Just One Of Those Things

13 Avalon

14 Jealous Guy

15 Let's Stick Together

16 Love Is The Drug

Musicians:

Bryan Ferry - Vocals (*)

Colin Good - Piano/MD (*)

Nils Solberg - Guitar

Zev Katz - Bass (*)

John Sutton - Drums

Enrico Tomasso - Trumpet

Iain Dixon - Alto Sax/Clarinet

Robert Fowlet - Tenor Sax/Clarinet

Malcolm Earle Smith - Trombone

Rosie Wetters - Chello

Helen Hawthorne - Violin

Lucy Theo - Viola

Julia Thornton - Harp/Percussion (*)

* Musicians who also appeared in Roxy Music: Live at the Apollo (2003)

Greg's pick: Song #5 - Casanova

The thing I also liked about Bryan Ferry was his choice of musicians.

In the later years with Roxy Music or while he was promoting his solo career the selection was always top notch.

Let's look at a few members in the "Live In Paris" concert.

Julia Thornton - Harp/Percussion

Posted Image

http://www.juliathornton.net/

After winning a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music, I studied there for 5 years, winning many prizes including the Julia Leney and Renata Schefelstein harp awards, and both the harp prizes at the Royal Overseas League competition. I was also awarded the Mathias Prize for the best performance of his Sante Fe Suite at the International Harp Competition in Cardiff.

After leaving college my career involved a mixture of teaching, orchestral and solo work. I performed with a variety of orchestras, opera and ballet company's, and gave recitals including performances at the Cambridge, Beaumaris and Cheltenham music festivals.

I began working with Bryan Ferry in October 1999. I performed both harp and percussion on his 'As Time Goes By' tour, which was a collection of 1930s standards such as the title track. Together with a band which included a jazz horn section, a piano and a string quartet, we toured for almost a year, starting in the USA, and visiting Europe, Russia, South Africa and Indonesia. My work with Bryan has taken me all over the globe, to some of the most beautiful concert halls and famous venues in history.

You can hear some of her wonderful harp music on her site.

Pavane - Anon 16th Century for example is wonderful. Yes it's classical... I know, Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music are rock... but rock is great with fantastic musicians!

And then there is Colin Good. Colin Good studied music at Queen's College Oxford and then since then has forged a career in the London swing and vintage jazz scene.

Influenced by Earl Hines and Teddy Wilson, Colin once toured with The Inkspots, and has composed regularly for theatre, television and film.

http://www.bryanferry.com/index.html

http://www.bryanferry.com/paris_dvd.html

Roxy Music: Live at the Apollo (2003)

Posted Image

Format: Import, Dolby Digital 5.1, NTSC, Widescreen

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

DVD Release Date: Jul 8 2003

I know I posted the Live at the Apollo before but I am posting it along with the "Live In Paris" DVD.

If you don't have the "Live at the Apollo" DVD then you might want to pick both of these up.

I noticed that some online stores such as Amazon has both DVD at a discount when you buy them both together.

Musicians:

Bryan Ferry - Vocals

Andy Mackay - Saxophone and Oboe

Phil Manzanera - Guitar

Paul Thompson - Drums

Chris Spedding - Guitar

Colin Good - Piano

Zev Katz - Bass

Lucy Wilkins - Violin/Keyboards

Julia Thornton - Percussion/Keyboards

Sarah Brown - Vocals

Yanjck Etienne - Vocals

Track listing

1. Introduction

2. Re-Make/Re-Model

3. Street Life

4. Ladytron

5. While My Heart Is Still Beating

6. Out Of The Blue

7. A Song For Europe

8. My Only Love

9. In Every Dream Home A Heartache

10. Oh Yeah!

11. Both Ends Burning

12. Tara

13. Band Introductions

14. Mother of Pearl

15. Avalon

16. Dance Away

17. Jealous Guy

18. Editions Of You

19. Virginia Plain

20. Love Is The Drug

21. Do The Strand

22. For Your Pleasure

23. Closing Credits

Both these DVD's are in Greg's must have selection.

Alot of Grand Funk talk on another thread..........got my mind to thinkin' about the Boys of Grand Funk.........So let's go here;

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD........Collectors Series..............CD........

Here's a Band that was hard working, uncompromising, and very sucessful in the late 60's early 70's. This collection runs through their careers from beginning to end, and everything in the middle............started out as a Power Trio, and a damn fine one at that, then later on added a full time Keyboard player, and in my opinon, began the End for them. I think if you really are into Grand Funk and you sit and listen to this whole disc, by the end you might agree with me.........we'll see........this is a 15 song set that touches every phase of their journey to the Top and back down.......In my opinon the first 7 songs captures the Grand Funk Railroad Power Trio at their finest.........all good, blues based power songs......These Guys were a great Trio.....and the Highlight here is track 3.....Inside Looking Out.....Grand Funk indeed....take off your shirt......crank up the stereo, Mark, Mel, and Don are in the house.......Power Chords indeed........the first 7 really sums up the Trio period, and from 8 to the end is where Craig Frost became full time. Now the songs are good, but there is something about the keyboards that, to me, changes their sound. I liked the Power Trio sound, Guitar, Bass, and Drums.......harder, more powerful sounding Rock, as opposed to the Poppy commercial Sound they took on with the Keyboards........Just my taste that's all........Some of their biggest hits come in the last half of this disc..........Good songs........So, give this disc a listen, it's a good disc........and if your not a Funk Fan......who knows, you might be after this.....Believe it or not, these Guys were a Big Group back then........they filled Stadiums when others couldn't........This is more of the 70's Classic Rock landscape that this old dinosaur lives in.............

Foo Fighters "There is Nothing Left to Lose"--

My favorite by these guys--most people know Dave Grohl was the drummer for Nirvana, and he started FF with a similar approach as Nirvana, but less caustic.

I love this one because its so darn listenable yet had little radio airplay. No big hits, just great rhythms and rock explosiveness throughout.

To describe it, its would be neo-grunge with alot of melody and classic rock sound. But it has its quiet moments, too--

For all you progressive metal fans that is looking for something a bit different, but none-the-less, quite good:

Braindance - Redemption:

album_redemption.jpg

This is one incredible progressive metal outfit. This is a very unique sound that I've never heard anywhere else. Basically think Type O Negative, Dream Theater, and Depeche Mode all thrown together. This is some pretty dark progressive metal with heavy indust/goth/techno influeances. Sebation Elliot's husky vocals add very nicely to the strong bassline, chugging power guitars along with some beautiful symphonic/classical elements thrown in for good measure. This is a very professional, tight package here. The quality of the recording itself is phenomenal and sounds incredibly clean and detailed on my system, with wonderful dynamics. I cannot seem to hear any dynamic compression or other mutilations that seems to be the norm in typical mainstream offerings.

If you are looking for something truly unique, this is definitly worth checking out, especially for those that are fans of progressive rock and metal. You can sample some of the music off this album at this site.

Howdy folks, here is my first recommendation on this forum.

Just out this week is Colin James, Little Big Band 3,CD, Blues/Big Band/Rock/Swing...lol, i know its a big combo but thats what it is. The first two big band CD's were also very good.

He is from Canada and has been quite popular here for the last 15 years or so. Was mostly blues/rock till the first big band album about 9 years ago and now goes back and forth.

If you like this kind of music, its a must have.

Rooted in another time and place that really never existed, the New Riders are very much like The Band in their approach to music. Just cleaned this up on my new record cleaner and tossed it on, and was glad I did. I had forgotten how many of their songs I had enjoyed in days passed and was very pleased by the recording quality. A can't miss recommendation.

Hey Thebes------------I hear you been layin' my old lady!

Rooted in another time and place that really never existed, the New Riders are very much like The Band in their approach to music. Just cleaned this up on my new record cleaner and tossed it on, and was glad I did. I had forgotten how many of their songs I had enjoyed in days passed and was very pleased by the recording quality. A can't miss recommendation.

Hey Thebes------------"I hear you been layin' my old lady!"

This was just released yesterday.

George Strait, It Just Comes Natural

1. Give It Away

2. She Told Me So

3. Thats my Kind of Woman

4. Wrapped

5. It Just Comes Natural

6. He Must Have really Hurt YOu Bad

7. Heart Like Hers

8. Why Can't I leave Her Alone

9. One Foot In Front of the Other

10. I Ain't Her Cowboy Anymore

11. Texas Cookin'

12. Better Rain

13. How 'Bout Them Cowgirls

14. Whay Say

15. Come on Joe

Steve

Smashing Pumpkins second release before they were huge & the egos kicked in but

Siamese Dream

recorded & produced by Butch Vig probability his best work done

so but all your bad thoughts & bad press or billy corgan is an ego maniac

and sit baack because it truly is an incredible work of art

some songs have up to 16 gituar tracks & the low end is great

g55989yhodf.jpg

1 Morning Sun

2 Song For Juli

3 Ridgetop

4 Evenin

5 Miss Hesitation

6 T-Bone Shuffle

7 Lafayette Waltz

8 Jambalaya (On the Bayou)

9 Country Home

Released Sept 1973. Young was a member of the Youngbloods who had some hits in the late 60's and early 70's. This was Young's first solo album. While this album is not widely known it has some very pleasant tunes. Almost folk and not quite full blown R&R this has an earthy, laid-back feel.

Rory Gallagher - Live @ Montreux Definitive Collection - DVD(also on cd).

This dvd showcases one of the greatest guitar players/writers of the last century.It starts in 1975 at Montreux and covers several years shows there.It is DTS/DD/PS2 etc..If you love Blues/Rock you'll never hear all that was history till you hear Rory.

post-9397-13819311279916_thumb.jpg

Ok.. This is another I don't have it yet but it is on order!

Barry White - Live in Europe 1975 on DVD

Posted Image

Scheduled to release Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Yes that's next Tuesday!!!

The king of sexy soul music, Barry White is shown here at the height of

his popularity in this European concert from 1975. The set list

includes "I've Found Someone," "Under The Influence of Love," and "I'm

Gonna Love You Just a Little More Babe."

Rory Gallagher - Live @ Montreux Definitive Collection - DVD(also on cd).

This dvd showcases one of the greatest guitar players/writers of the last century.It starts in 1975 at Montreux and covers several years shows there.It is DTS/DD/PS2 etc..If you love Blues/Rock you'll never hear all that was history till you hear Rory.

now That is a cool recommendation .......[:)]