MD/DC/NO. VA Kilpsch/Musicfest Cancelled

garymd

Yes, it was interesting about the science of the way the timpani head vibrates, most have only 4-5 half steps range. And with the overlap, it gives many different ways to play the same piece depending on your drum kit. I'll give those folks in back a little more attention- tricky set to play!

Any score would be great Larry, although I'm not sure I have a copy of that here. Nope, no Beethoven at ALL!

I think I tried to pick up one CD each of most of the 'masters' at one time, completely uneducated- how on earth did I miss Beethoven?

I like complicated- it works for me! LOL

M

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to edit in the names.

Next pic, far side, coming this way: Paul (Dr. Pyro) and Yi; Steve (Customsteve01) and Caroline. Near side, coming this way, Mike Lindsey, Rick Poage (mostly hidden), and Steve (Skonopa).

I didn't include the pic here because something in my technque elongated it and the next 2 from L to R, and I couldn't do anything about it. Please just refer back in order, and Marty perhaps you can edit in the names from this. Sorry ---

lc

Larry, good to see you're up and around.

I'd certainly try to attend the next one.

Let me make a suggestion. This mostly Larry educating the unwashed masses to the joys of classical music and score reading. Classical Music for Dummies. And I do realize this is putting a burden on Larry.

You could:

1) Determine the concert we'll be attending.

2) We all could get a recording recommended by you and listen a few times in advance. I find that the more I listen to an unfamiliar piece, the more I appreciate it. So hearing it first time at a concert hall is a bit of a waste.

3) Before the concert we could visit your place. You could walk us through the more easy to understand parts of the score, with photo copies in front of us, while it plays on your K-Horns. One page of the score would be about as much as we can handle. But I leave that to you. You might want to hold forth on several interesting parts.

4) Then we could go off to the concert with the benefit of your insights.

Best,

Gil

Gil,

Thanks, Gil, as always. I appreciate your wisdom in this.

In support of your thinking of a concert, even though this one with its great visual seating was just one of several focal points, it remained the well-attended centerpiece even after I was knocked out of circulation.

That said, I find that teaching music appreciation is not always a winner. It's very hard to know what to emphasize as different people will hear different aspects of a given piece. I think only a few would get very much out of it and I think they will have to know that they want to hear "education" in advance of the music! I am not convinced that it would have been of ANY benefit to have gone over the pieces we heard before that particular concert. It would have been good for people to get CDs of the Gershwin and Berlioz, though.

I believe I'd need to see early commitment to the plan to be sure it would work, and for better or worse, the need to buy tickets (laying out $$) in advance is an unavoidable help in that regard. It is also likely to be a major deterrent. I think that the good folks who gathered themselves and their finances need a break before we even think of another gathering here!

In respect of your idea, I'll gather a list of Strathmore concerts coming up in the Spring. Perhaps something like the Dvorak New World Symphony will crop up -- it's a symphony everyone should know anyway, especially the slow movement, the "Largo."

Meanwhile, I can do it one-on-one (might be better that way) if anyone is planning to travel through this area and we work out the timing and select a concert. We can announce it in case someone else wants to join in, but not depend on a bunch of people gathering at the same time.

Larry

Congrats, Steve! As you know by now, Gary knew it immediately, in part because he and I had discussed the orchestration in the past. I think of you as extremely knowledgeable in other music, but didn't realize you'd zero right in on this one too.

I knew primarily because I absolutely LOVE that piece! If they every play Holtz's The Planets there, I'll be there in a New York minute!

When it comes to selecting recordings, as I tried to say above, if it sounds good, it is good, so by all means get the Colin Davis recording. He made a series of landmark Berlioz recordings about 20 yrs. ago and that's bound to be one of them.

That's a good observation about the flawless nature of the performance. I thought a couple of times that the conductor seems to choose performers who are extremely precise, perhaps over those with only lots of fire. He's pretty good imo, and chose the best SF bells I've heard in ANY recording anywhere!

That was an excellent performance last Saturday night! Anyway, I'll just end up grabbing that London Symphony recording, even though it is off of eMusic in non-DRM'd 256kbps variable-rate MP3 format (although my experience with eMusic so far is that the recordings I've gotten off there did sound quite good, even on my system, not just on my iPod through my Shure E3c headphones)

I'm just now catching up with what may be the most remarkable concert of the 2006-2007 season: the Peabody Sesquicentennial Celebration: Music Springs Eternal

Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM. See http://www.strathmore.org/eventstickets/calendar/view.asp?id=1909. The Strauss Alpine Symphony is one of the great works ever in my opinion, and I know Mike Lindsey was very impressed. The Stravinsky Rite of Spring is also a remarkable work for the ages.

They are already selling tickets, which are definitely higher priced, so I can't pull off what I did before at $25 per! Note that it will be more like $45 per, still cheap for this area. The main floor "orchestra" section seats are $80 each, but who sits there??

I'am waiting for a little more info from someone with an inside track, but am about to announce TO HELL WITH MID-JANUARY let's make the January 13 concert a special event!!

BTW, I did get your e-mail on this as well [E]. Yes indeed, this is in the middle of the ski season. However, the ski patrol schedules are not out yet (I know, as I am the one that makes the schedules [:o]). I can certainly make sure I am free that weekend as I am very interested in that myself. Strauss' Alpine Symphony - how appropriate for me in the middle of the ski season! [:D][8] Ah yes, another one with that big epic sound that I've always liked - after all mountains are certainly big and epic [8-|]! Also, I've always enjoyed Stravinsky's Rite of Spring myself and would think that would be really cool to actually see performed. Would probably make me start longing for Spring there in the dead of winter (unless the skiing is really good) How I can remember being scared out of my seat during that one part of the Firebird Suite though (a really good rendition in Disney's Fantasia movie)!

But yeah, I can see the issues with people possibly wanting to travel the in middle of January. Just our luck, the weather would turn to complete $#!+ [st] and we ending up getting a bajillion inches of snow that weekend (and I'd be stuck at home instead at the ski slope [:@]). But still, I am very interested.

Any of those recently mentioned pieces are of interest to me. And letting Larry fill my head with classical music info is worth the price of the plane ticket. I'd like to be on the invite list. I'm a bit ashamed [:$] to have turned down Larry's personal invite this time around.

Michael

Don't count me out just yet... [:D]

Mike -- when did you want to decide? I was going to order tix for me and Skonopa today, to be sure to get as good as I can (for the more "moderate" price).

I'd like to be on the invite list.

Michael -- Realistically, it would have to be buy-now to get a ticket and get our seats together. I have to warn you that mid-January is very hit-or-miss weatherwise in DC! I'll be glad to "invite" you (you're always invited!) but here you could end up blowing money on an air ticket (EDIT:) and concert ticket (END EDIT) that runs afoul of weather. Your call, but feel free to wait for better time where we can put more of a plan into action.

Larry

I'd probably do it Larry if not for the weather. How much are the tickets again?

Mike

The Promenade Front seats, where we sat, are $43 each. This contrasts to $47, $58, and $80 elsewhere in the auditorium for this concert. These seats are still an undiscovered secret, it looks like, pricewise.

The sales agent said there are "plenty" of those seats left, so this is not a crisis decision. Still, I'd like to get the seats nailed down, so please let me know soon. Thanks,

Larry