MD/DC/NO. VA Kilpsch/Musicfest Cancelled

garymd

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Hello,

I just got off the phone about an hour ago with Larry. He told me about his injuries and he is so lucky. It is nothing short of a miracle that he did not suffer catostrophic injuries. His voice was very strong and he sounded to be in very good spirits. It sounds like it might take two or three of you to hold him down and keep him from going to the concert.

From what he described he was banged up all over. He asked about how my turntable project was going and we talked a great deal about that. He may be bruised and battered all over but one thing is for sure, he sure didnt land on his noggin. He was explaining the db differences between outputs of MC cartiridges that come in low, medium and high gain with values of .2mv, .4mv and .6mv, taking the square of this and the blank of that and. . . well suffice it to say the brain is totally intact and blazing away at lightning speed.

It was very encouraging to hear him talking about audion, Basis tonearms, etc. He wanted to know what Joe Sporter thought about this new TT rig and what the person who purchased Joe's previous rig thought about it. I don't recall reading any updates from Joe or thoughts about his previous turntable from the new owner. So if they have been waiting to post something now is the time to post and not hold back. It sounds as though he can check on the forum from time to time. If Joe has already been posting about this or the prevous table please put a link in here so Larry can find it. If they haven't posted about their new rigs please encourage them to do so.

Larry was really dying to have a listen to some pCats (so am I) so he is already going through preliminary plans in his head about another similar get together several months down the road.

He is quite a guy, I am so glad he is improving the way he has been and hope he continues to do so.

Travis

Good timing, Travis. I just posted about my new tt (Joes old Basis).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

When I read of Larrys mishap, I said a few prayers for him and his family. I know how much time and effort he and Gary put into this weekend gathering. I am glad to see that its still going to happen. I hope that Larry listens to the medical staff (they know best) and doesnt try to push his recovery. Its not worth it. I will continue to send good thought s and prayers his way.

I was hoping to get up there for a short visit, but this weekend has filled up with another trip. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary, you have done a wonderful job organizing this (and keeping it going). Please take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy a great weekend of music if you possibly can.

I will look forward to reading some good reviews next week.

Chuck

And here is a link to very detailed directions to Strathmore and a little map

http://www.strathmore.org/planyourvisit/directionsparking.asp

I am looking at these maps and it looks like I should just be able to take the train up, thus saving the driving. Looks like there is a Metro stop right there near both Mama Lucia's as well as one right there at Strathmore (off the Red Line). It is a very real possibility that I may just do that.

Anyway, it seems Larry is doing better. It would be great if he could attend dinner and the concert, but I am not going to hold my breath. I did get a call from him last night on my cell phone, at least a voice message, as I was working out at the gym at the time he called, thus I did not have the phone with me at the moment. He did sound good and did seem optimistic that he may be able to go to the concert - at leat he seemed to indicate that he will try. I'd rather that he did not stress himself out to much just in the name of going to a show. There will be more concerts and more oppurtunities to get together in the future, but if he can make it - it would be great. Maybe, in the end, he really does need this in the overall healing process. Nothing like getting a chance to get with friends and to see a good show to help. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend.

• Moderators

Nice to know Larry is doing better. Larry, if you're reading directly - my best wishes to you! We're hectic getting ready for the RMAF (we're driving, so we have to leave Monday), and when we get back, we're going to find some way to get some pCATS to someone here with a BBX. Don't rush things - take it easy and be well. -Mark

Dean,

What a very nice gesture, I know Larry is going to get a very big smile on his face when he reads that!

Travis

• Moderators

Good timing, Travis. I just posted about my new tt (Joes old Basis).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

When I read of Larrys mishap, I said a few prayers for him and his family. I know how much time and effort he and Gary put into this weekend gathering. I am glad to see that its still going to happen. I hope that Larry listens to the medical staff (they know best) and doesnt try to push his recovery. Its not worth it. I will continue to send good thought s and prayers his way.

I was hoping to get up there for a short visit, but this weekend has filled up with another trip. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gary, you have done a wonderful job organizing this (and keeping it going). Please take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy a great weekend of music if you possibly can.

I will look forward to reading some good reviews next week.

Chuck

Chuck,

He did say it was you, I just could not recall the screen name he told me. He told me during our conversation what he was really looking forward to hearing about your thoughts. I am so glad you posted it when you did. If anyone talks to Larry please let him know that ColonialHoo has posted a review of his new TT. I know that he will be bery interested to read it.

Travis

Well, Marty (Thebes), Mike Lindsey, and Rich (RPlace) just left my place about an hour ago. We had a great visit and got to listen to a lot of tunes. Always great to get together with you folks.

I spoke to Larry's Drs again today and it looks like he'll definitely be going to the show!

I'll see everyone tomorrow evening. Drive safely!

• Moderators

Well, Marty (Thebes), Mike Lindsey, and Rich (RPlace) just left my place about an hour ago. We had a great visit and got to listen to a lot of tunes. Always great to get together with you folks.

I spoke to Larry's Drs again today and it looks like he'll definitely be going to the show!

I'll see everyone tomorrow evening. Drive safely!

I am real happy to hear that the lot of you will be able to do more then salvage this weekend. I'm even happier to hear that Larry is going to be able to get a pass and not even have to sneak out to make the show. I know he will be in great hands on his furlough. Are there photos comming? Did anyone remember their camera?

Travis

Glad the weekend has started off well. I sure would have liked to meet Mike (love the Scott), Marty, Rich, Larry and others who shares this passion. I hope this evening provides a wonderful musical journey for you all. Larry, I'm glad to hear you have a legitimate hall pass from the staff. Enjoy.

Wish I was there, but I will be there in spirit.

Chuck

A good time was had by all.

The concert was Fantastique!!!

Aint that the truth! Well, I made it back home safely.

That was a truly wonderful time and I really enjoyed it. Getting up there turned out to be a bit of a pain for me, due to the totally craptaculer traffic and then there was track construction on the secton between Springfield and Kings Street stops on the subway. I was wondering if I was going to make it up there in time. Fortunatly I did get to dinner in the nick of time, which was quite good.

The performance afterwards was incredible! That was the first time I've been to an actual symphony performance - at least anything beyond a typical high-school or college performance. Those last two movements of Symphonique Fantastique were awesome! I've always loved that big, epic, powerful sound. Boy, there was a lot of energy coming from the orchestra during that closing of the 5th movement! Incredible! I'll now have to find a good quality recording of a performance of Symphonique Fantastique. Of course, George Gershwin's American in Paris was quite fun number to listen to and see performed, especially with it's catch melodies and such. No wonder it is often heard in many a cartoon and/or commercial (isn't that what is used in the recent United Airline commercials?).

Overall, a very fascinating and incredible experience. Not only that, the acoustics at that hall were phenomenal! The orchestra sounded extremely good tonight - every instrument can be clearly heard and picked out (and with the seats we had, it was alot of fun to listen to and try to pick out the individual instruments as they played).

Thanks for an awesome time, and it was really great to see Larry to get to attend both dinner and the show. It really seemed to lift up his spirits and I do wish him well. I hope we get the oppurtunity to do this again!

"That was the first time I've been to an actual symphony performance"

Thanks for writing in Steve. The quote above is exactly why I feel more of us should get out more and broaden our musical palates. Think of how little it costs to open the horizon to a whole new realm of enjoyment. Glad you had a good time. I dare say that you will find yourself enjoying more classical or symphonic music or at the very least, you've come away with a deeper appreciation for your symphonic rock faves.

Now about the rest of you- still partying away or sleeping in? We expect more full reports as the day progresses. This was one of the largest and most anticipated gatherings of the year, especially with the unfortunate (then fortunate) turn of events with Larry's cancellation and later his ability to attend.

Michael

Steve summed the concert up very well. The last 2 movements of Symphony Fantastique were just incredible and definitely the highlight of the evening for me too.

Many folks are still traveling or helping others to get home. Larry is safely back in the hospital. It was great seeing one of his doctor's at the show. I know Larry was pleased he and his wife accepted the invitation.

BTW - ALL of the tickets were used! Way to go Larry!!

• Moderators

Steve summed the concert up very well. The last 2 movements of Symphony Fantastique were just incredible and definitely the highlight of the evening for me too.

Many folks are still traveling or helping others to get home. Larry is safely back in the hospital. It was great seeing one of his doctor's at the show. I know Larry was pleased he and his wife accepted the invitation.

BTW - ALL of the tickets were used! Way to go Larry!!

First, so glad to hear that Larry was able to make it to the show, with doctor approval, and returned safely to the hospital.

I'm also glad that those of you who planned on attending this weekend were able to do so and end up having a great time.

Gary, I don't know how you did it, between the time at the hospital and trying to keep things together for the weekend was truly an awesome feat. You are still in the process of a remodel as well are you not? What a multitasker. When banking turns to bearish (yeah like that is ever going to happen) you know you have a career as a wedding planner to fall back on. Sounds like you were able to help several folks do more then salvage a weekend. My hat is off to you.

NOW WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?

Travis

Thanks for writing in Steve. The quote above is exactly why I feel more of us should get out more and broaden our musical palates. Think of how little it costs to open the horizon to a whole new realm of enjoyment. Glad you had a good time. I dare say that you will find yourself enjoying more classical or symphonic music or at the very least, you've come away with a deeper appreciation for your symphonic rock faves.

Oh yeah! I've always had a fascination with classical music, and I do have some around, such as the Philidelphia Orchestra's performance of Orff's Carmina Burana as conducted by Normandy. In fact, it is because of my love for symphonic metal (case in point, listening to Beyond Twilight's For the Love of Art and the Making for the fourth time in two days - un-friggan-believable! - I have to play this at a future gathering!), why I've been interested in classical music, and this oppurtunity to get to see such a fine perfomance as last nights was just to good to pass up. I sure hope to get a chance to go up there again and see more performances, especially it is not really difficult for me to get up there, plus there is a train stop right there at the Strathmore as well as a huge parking garage. However, it is much more fun to go with friends such as those last night instead of going by myself.

Yes indeed, after last's night experience it certainly gave me a deeper appreciation for classical as well as the music that I do listen to regulalry (and one of the reasons why I listen to what I listen to).

Oh yeah, about the photos - there were a few pic taken at the resturaunt, but none at the performance itself as cameras were stricly verboten!