MD/DC/NO. VA Kilpsch/Musicfest Cancelled

garymd

Everyone who is attending the symphony: I don't know what the program they give you will say, but in case it doesn't give you the story behind Symphonie Fantastique, you should definitely read Berlioz's own notes for the concert:

I. Reveries -- Passions
A young musician, afflicted with that moral complaint which a celebrated writer [Chateaubriand] calls "undirected emotionalism," sees the woman of his dreams and falls hopelessly in love. Each time her image comes into his mind, it evokes a musical thought [represented by an idee fixe] that is impassioned in character, but also noble and shy, as he imagines her to be.

II. A Ball
The artist finds himself in the swirl of a party, but the beloved image appears before him and troubles his soul.

III. Scene in the Country
In the distance, two shepherds play a ranz des vaches in dialogue [solo oboe and English horn]. The pastoral setting, the gentle evening breeze, the hopeful feelings he has begun to have--all conspire to bring to his spirit an unaccustomed calm, and his thoughts take on a more cheerful cast. He hopes not to be lonely much longer. But his happiness is disturbed by dark premonitions. What if she is deceiving him! One of the shepherds resumes his playing, but the other makes no response.... In the distance, thunder. Solitude. Silence.

IV. March to the Scaffold.
Convinced that his love is unrequited, the artist takes an overdose of opium. It plunges him into a sleep accompanied by horrifying visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, has been condemned and led to the scaffold, and is witnessing his own execution. The procession advances to a march that is now somber and savage, now brilliant and solemn. At its conclusion the
idee fixe returns, like a final thought of the beloved cut, off by the fatal blow.

V. Dream of a Witches' Sabbath
He sees himself in the midst of a frightful throng of ghosts, witches, monsters of every kind, who have assembled for his funeral. Strange noises, groans, bursts of laughter, distant cries. The beloved melody again reappears, but it has lost its modesty and nobilty; it is no more than a
vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque; it is she, coming to the sabbath. A joyous roar greets her arrival.... She joins in the devilish orgy.... A funeral knell, a parody of the Dies irae. A sabbath round-dance. The Dies irae and the round-dance are combined.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I'll take care of the restaurant reservation if you like. They're just a couple blocks from my office. I would also wait for a complete headcount so you don't lose the only semi-private room they have.

I've been tied up all weekend so I'll give you a call tomorrow morning.

- Gary

Everyone who is attending the symphony: I don't know what the program they give you will say, but in case it doesn't give you the story behind Symphonie Fantastique, you should definitely read Berlioz's own notes for the concert:

I. Reveries -- Passions

A young musician, afflicted with that moral complaint which a celebrated writer [Chateaubriand] calls "undirected emotionalism," sees the woman of his dreams and falls hopelessly in love. Each time her image comes into his mind, it evokes a musical thought [represented by an idee fixe] that is impassioned in character, but also noble and shy, as he imagines her to be.

II. A Ball

The artist finds himself in the swirl of a party, but the beloved image appears before him and troubles his soul.

III. Scene in the Country

In the distance, two shepherds play a ranz des vaches in dialogue [solo oboe and English horn]. The pastoral setting, the gentle evening breeze, the hopeful feelings he has begun to have--all conspire to bring to his spirit an unaccustomed calm, and his thoughts take on a more cheerful cast. He hopes not to be lonely much longer. But his happiness is disturbed by dark premonitions. What if she is deceiving him! One of the shepherds resumes his playing, but the other makes no response.... In the distance, thunder. Solitude. Silence.

IV. March to the Scaffold.

Convinced that his love is unrequited, the artist takes an overdose of opium. It plunges him into a sleep accompanied by horrifying visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, has been condemned and led to the scaffold, and is witnessing his own execution. The procession advances to a march that is now somber and savage, now brilliant and solemn. At its conclusion the idee fixe returns, like a final thought of the beloved cut, off by the fatal blow.

V. Dream of a Witches' Sabbath

He sees himself in the midst of a frightful throng of ghosts, witches, monsters of every kind, who have assembled for his funeral. Strange noises, groans, bursts of laughter, distant cries. The beloved melody again reappears, but it has lost its modesty and nobilty; it is no more than a vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque; it is she, coming to the sabbath. A joyous roar greets her arrival.... She joins in the devilish orgy.... A funeral knell, a parody of the Dies irae. A sabbath round-dance. The Dies irae and the round-dance are combined.

Mmmmnnn ...

remind's Me ... a lot of my marriage.............[:^)]

I'm going to the hospital at lunch today then picking up the tickets on my way home from work. It's very important we get a final headcount since Larry wants to donate the extras back to Strathmore.

I spoke with him last night and he's getting pretty restless. He asked for some of your phone numbers so don't be suprised if a couple of you get calls this week. His throat is still very sore so if you answer a call from someone with a strange voice, don't hang up!

I'll also be printing this thread for him to read through so if anyone else wants to chime in, I'm sure Larry would be grateful.

Possibly 10!

Great news - potentially......

Just got back from the hospital and Larry is going to make a break for it. He's planning to escape by Thursday evening and has every intention of making both the dinner and the concert. I convinced him not to drive since he's wearing a neck brace but he would like to have a casual open house on Saturday afternoon before dinner (anytime after 1:00 pm). Those folks can then go to dinner together from Larry's then to the show. He'll need some help getting in and out of cars and walking but he really wants to do this.

He'd like people to give him a call on Friday at his house if they intend to stop by on Saturday, assuming he does make it home by then. Please send me a PM if you plan to stop by and I'll give you Larry's home phone #. He's going to make some calls either tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I can get his cell phone to him.

If you asked me a week ago if this would even be a possibility, I would have said no way! I certainly hope it works out and he continues to improve at the pace he has over the last couple of days!!!

Hey Gary,

That's great news!

I'll be with Marty and I'm sure we will have the opportunity to stop by, but won't commit to it until I talk to Marty. I would think Rick is game as well.

You said 10... does this mean you might be coming? [;)]

M A Y B E.................................[;)]

Let's see how things pan out. I hope Larry isn't being too optimistic.

• Moderators

I'm extremely slow at uncovering this thread (you guys post way too much for me to keep up!!!) [:)] .... I'm a horrible admin!!!!

BEST WISHES, LARRY, FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY!!!

I know this event was very important to you....