BBX w/ Cream is on the Way!!!!!

• Moderators

Makes sense, Travis. So let's wait for the 'real' reason behind the Telefunken-McIntosh connection.

Wolfram

Here is what my tube broker got back to me with today. The thing I like about Johnathon is that is information is always very reliable and he is not shy about saying he does not know. What was really interesting to me is the fact that some many other companies used Mac, and the other camp was with Mullard.

Travis

Hi Travis

Read your post. I'm not sure that I can add any additional light to your discussion as to why Mac used TFK tubes. Price may have been an issue, but I suspect that quality may have had more to do with it. Its interesting to note that the various different "Hi-Fi" manufacturers at that time seem to have been grouped into different camps as to which brand of audio tube to use. Mac used TFK, as did Dynaco, Fisher and Scott. Heathkit used Mullard as did Eico. Looking at catalog pricing from that time period (1961) most US tubes, and here I'm refering to 12AX7 tubes, were priced around $2.30 each. This includes RCA/GE/Sylvania/Tungsol and so on. Mullard was priced at $2.50. Amperex (UK) was about the same. So at least this reference points to higher prices for the imports. I can't find my old Allied catalogues from that time period. They had pricing for all of the speciality manufacturers. If I remember correctly the European tubes were generally priced higher than their US counterparts. This may have something to do with marketing, volume, quality, or it could be something as simple as currency valuation. The TFK's (12AX7's) were touted as 10,000 hour tubes and indeed they had a reputation of a very long service life. They also had a reputation of having very low distortion and noise characteristics. It seems to me that I read somewhere ages ago that RCA/GE/Sylvania were aware of the higher quality of the European (audio) tubes and chose to redesign the 12AX7 instead. The result was the 5751 and later the 7025. The 7025 was specifically for audio while the 5751 was a general purpose dual triode. One must remember here that the 'audio' market was very small. It probably accounted for only a few percent of a manufacturers volume, so there probably wasn't a whole lot of need or interest to chase the European manufacturers for market share.

Just a few thoughts.

Johnathan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travis,

thanks for the update. I wonder how much $2.30 meant in those years.

10,000 hours is a pretty long period of time, but still I would mean that a lot of those Teles being sold tady (and being produced in the 1960s) would need to be swapped....[;)].

BTW: how is the BBX coming along and any news from Craig about an MX110 upgrade?

Wolfram

• Moderators

Travis,

thanks for the update. I wonder how much $2.30 meant in those years.

10,000 hours is a pretty long period of time, but still I would mean that a lot of those Teles being sold tady (and being produced in the 1960s) would need to be swapped....[;)].

BTW: how is the BBX coming along and any news from Craig about an MX110 upgrade?

Wolfram

I was born in '60, but I distinctly remember gas being $.25 a gallon, it's ten times higher now. The BBX is burning in nicely, I wish I had more time to listen to it then I have been able to. I just had two of the original telles go out on that MX110 this year. Not too bad, 40 years. But I don't think the original owner ever used it.

The 110 is waiting this turn for the "Spa" treatment, but he is moving closer and closer all the time. I can't wait till it is time to start talking to Criag what all the options, etc. will be.

Travis