Question on "spending ratio" among components

jmorgan32

I would imagine this would vary greatly among forum members, but I am just curious and trying to get a very "general idea" about this.

My question really boils down to this:

What is the APPROXIMATE ratio an audiophile spends for (let's use a simple example) 3 parts of the system?

1. Power (whether it be a receiver, integ amp and tuner, (I know tuner isn't power but I would feel better including it since it is necessary for me to own), pre-amp, power amp, tuner, etc. You all understand what I am getting at.

2. Speakers (2 channel only)

3. CD player/transport

I would LOVE to get an idea of your thoughts. You guys are so far ahead in this "new game" for me. Beginner for sure here! I can't even call my stuff "gear yet". This is my "starter kit."

Klipsch F-3's=800.00

Denon DRA-685=100 watts per ch. (2 channel receiver) approx 500.00

(sorry if "talking down" but I know you guys use seperates etc & I don't know if you stay up on receiver models etc. I would guess not! They are probably junk to you guys.)

Lastly, my CD's are played on an inexpensive Sony DVD recorder that I bought last year for around 300.00 = RDR GX315. I don't watch many movies and use it to dub old VHS tapes over to DVD (my primary motive for the purchase since I had a cheapo DVD player ie Phillips that did NOT record-it only played) So I gave my DVD player and CD player (Phillips cheapo too) to my brother.

I would love to hear from you guys if you are in the same ballpark with "ratios" certainly NOT total dollar spends! You are WAY higher there of course.

eg my speakers are ROUGHLY twice as much as my receiver

My DVD/CD recorder/player is about 50% of my speaker price at most and around 60-70% of what I paid for my receiever. (not using a calculator here and math is NOT my strong suit!!)

Thanks guys. I guess I am doing the "rethinking" and looking at the system wondering where the "weak link" MAY be, and what the next purchase may be. I am heading "down the path" as another forum member said to me yesterday.

Listening, wondering, thinking, etc. Self talk example "Joe, if you really bought a nice separate CD player of better quality eg a Denon for around 5 or 6 hundred your music would sound twice as good." NO or YES!

Am I way off base? I will say right up front I am NOT in the market for one of these CD transports I see that cost 20 grand. That will never happen here.

Thanks in advance guys!

Joe (ps sorry such a long question.)

The thing that might throw off your survey is that some/many of us enjoy Heritage and have enjoyed collecting on a budget.

Personally, I have about $950 in my Yamaha receiver

LSBR $750

BEC AA for LS $300?

CW $500 per pair

KLFC7 $200

So about $1750 in speakers total for my main system. Brand new, that would be around $8,000 in speakers.

Sources include VCR, Turntable, DVD, and Cd for a total of around $1500, but I need better in several of the areas. Right now my Turntable is my finest piece.

So looks like my ratio is around 1:2:2 or 20%, 40%, 40%

Hope that helps.

I think you can pick up a fabulous 2-channel system for less than $1200 (used, of course). $700 for Cornwalls. $400 for a dedicated amp. $200 for a pre-amp, and $200 for a CD player.

Many have and will spend much more and have serious bucks invested. But that is something done over time and if you become more inclined. In any event, the component ranges I described are for components that are good enough to be "keepers" in whatever system you ultimately build.

I have never to this point bought used........I spend the biggest share on speakers, then a power unit, and deal with each component one at a time.............When I get Khorns they will probably be used..........it's hard to tell what to do, like CD players, you can get inexpensive for around $100.or step up to a better grade for around $300. or those High Quality models to include Tube Models for $800. and up......tough call what to do....I guess it depends on how deep into this hobby you want to get........Each person has to figure out what is best for them..........It makes more sense to me to get the best speakers you can afford to purchase.............and go from there.......

I have never to this point bought used........I spend the biggest share on speakers, then a power unit, and deal with each component one at a time.............When I get Khorns they will probably be used..........it's hard to tell what to do, like CD players, you can get inexpensive for around $100.or step up to a better grade for around $300. or those High Quality models to include Tube Models for $800. and up......tough call what to do....I guess it depends on how deep into this hobby you want to get........Each person has to figure out what is best for them..........It makes more sense to me to get the best speakers you can afford to purchase.............and go from there.......

True, but be careful about ruining the speakers by clipping an amp. Before I got my Crown, I blew a tweeter in my Corns with a Marantz.

just a quick note. imho, money spent on better speakers will usually bring more system improvement than the same dollars spent on any other part of your system. Speakers are (argueably) the most important component. They have the difficult task of changing all of the various electrical energies into acoustical energy that the human ear takes in. Speakers can have the greatest effect on the sound of a system.

Others will disagree- just a 'general' statement, k?

M

This is a tough question... at least it is for me. I have managed to put together a pretty decent system and have bought quite a bit of it "used." I learned some years ago that there are a fair number of folks who simply have to have the latest and greatest (whatever Stereophile mag is rating as "Class A" for the moment) and are willing to let last year's "Class A" stuff go for a song. All of the used stuff I bought was in "mint" condition... complete with original boxes, packing stuff, manuals, etc. (sometimes, I even got a box of extra tubes!!). Anyway, I tried to do the "spending ratio" based on what I remember paying (as best I can recall... there was a whole lot of "rounding" going on), and here's what I came up with:

Preamp & Amplifier: 32% (bought the amp new, drives up the %)

CD Transport & DAC: 22%

Turntable, Cart, & Phono Stage: 22%

Speakers: 15%

Interconnects & Spkr Cables: 9%

Without question, the biggest & best "bargain" were the highly modified Klipschorns. Lawdy, lawdy, how I love 'em!

Since people are offering up what they spent, here's my spending:

Pre KHorns:

$800 on Cornwalls (used)

$800 on a Microtech 1200 (new)

$300 on a Yamaha pre-amp (used)

$350 on an HK CD (new demo model)

None of it would have been anything without the Corns. They were by far the most important. I see the Crown MT's now selling used for around $400 (and sometimes less). Pre-amps are a dime a dozen (but then again, many here make a big deal out of them). Same goes for CDs.

Had the same system for 20 years. Bought KHorns for $1700 about a year ago. Corns are good enough.

I love the Crown. I think I was able, through innumerable, long-winded threads on "headroom" on this forum, to discern that Crown performs especially well (to me) because of its very high damping factor. When considering an amp, I'd be looking for the damping factor and what that means. True, solid punch!

Your speakers should be half of your audio budget .

THANKS! That is where I am right now almost to the PENNY! 800 for the pair of Klipsch, 500 for my Denon rec., and 300 for my Sony DVD recorder.

Guess that solves my "dilemma" about upgrading my CD player (the above Sony) at least for a while. The speakers and receiver are only a few weeks old, so I just need to relax, listen and enjoy!

Burnt out on reading about SACD, CD transports, etc. not sure I would even notice a difference with the quality (or lack thereof) of what I now own.

Thanks again!

THANKS A TON TO EVERYONE ABOVE! I have learned a ton.

Some quick learnings just from these posts:

1. You guys have been involved in this much longer than I have, and probably have a much stronger "engineering" type background. eg understanding resistance, amps, etc etc. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and THIS STUFF is tough for me to get a real solid handle on.

2. You all have enough "working experience" to know a real value and not shy away from buying used "gear." (ok i used the word!) I would have been and still am WAY to paranoid to get used stuff. (plus I am a perfectionist to a fault.)

3. An example of the above is how I got rid of my old stuff. Put an ad in a place call Craigs List (had NEVER heard of it) and my stuff was gone that SAME NIGHT. A young guy with an engineering degree from MIT (seriously) who said he builds amps, came over and for 80 bucks walked with my Infinity speakers, Infinity sub, Monster cables and my receiver. I was just in a hurry to get rid of it.................way too much of a hurry I am thinking........he even said i was "WAY TOO LOW" i just said fine.

I did ask if he was going to resell it for a profit (i was just curious) and he said NO way---he was going to use it in his office (not at home)

Thanks again for everything. I just came into some dough and was considering the CD player upgrade but based on all of your generous responses I have to make the call that it would NOT be justified to buy some 800.00 CD player to replace my 300.00 Sony with the receiver and speakers I have that are very very new.

Thanks again folks. Time to put on some tunes.

Bye.

PS........I LEFT OUT MY MOST IMPORTANT LEARNING!

You guys all seem like good folks who are willing to take time to help a beginner, AND all of you have very different opinions about this stuff!

Some say start at the "source", others say NO way it should be speakers, and the "ratios" of spending differ quite a bit too.

Guess that's what makes the world go round.

Thanks again.

It's just what's important to you.

Jeff- I would buy Microtech 1200's all day at $400, you sure you've seen those prices?

All- If I ever worked for Klipsch, I would be my own best customer- probably owe THEM money at the end of the pay period! LOL

M

Yes, all the time (used, of course). I almost got Meagain to get one in Chicago for $325 (if I remember correctly). Hell of an amp for $400 ain't it?

What do you drive with yours? You ever drive your KHorns w/it? What about Corns? I never hear you talk too much about your MT 1200. Why? What do you have that you like more?