4 watt single-ended stereo

Erik Mandaville

I had forgotten how great this amplifier sounds! I have been using it with Lowther horns in another system because it's one of the most quiet amplifiers I own. It was given to me as a gift in kit form probably ten years or so ago, and I completely rebuilt it summer before last.

Just as VTV loved the Klipschorns with single-ended triodes, so did they also enjoy this very small amplifier from ASUSA. They reviewed it in an issue some years ago.

Two 6BQ5s with a single 12AX7 driver. Very simple, and very good. I had mentioned that four watts from bridged Transcendent Sound SE OTLs might not be enough for HT, but I think I may need to back track on that a bit. We used the little amplifier shown here this weekend for both movies and a great music DVD, and it was completely satisfactory.

Erik

post-10533-13819311568048_thumb.jpg

Remind's me of my brother's '60s Magnavox 6BQ5 (with a '51 Sylvania 5U4G blackplate) SE, class-A, 2 or 3 WPC console amp. Not nearly as pretty as Erik's, but it did sound wonderful thru the Cornwalls...a really sweet, dynamic amp, especially with soft musical passages (obviously with big crescendos it broke apart at higher volume levels I like). Wish my bro had kept it...I would've liked to have had it modded.

post-11084-13819311569968_thumb.jpg

you guys are too much with your 2 and 4 watt amps.

there was a fellow a few weeks ago on ebay that had another cool looking amp made from half a toaster. So it had chrome front and top, he trimed with nice wood on the sides.

"you guys are too much with your 2 and 4 watt amps."

Hah! it does sound kind of funny. The 45 is even less, and the pair of 45 DRDs I had here from Welborne Labs were amazing. I'd love a pair of those amps. A stereo SE OTL is similar, power-wise.

But......I have also had a few great sounding higher powered push-pull designs here, including that wonderful Baldwin. I would really like to get another one of those sometime....

I don't have to lock my thinking into one school or another.

Erik