Wow! Another one (I'm working on a 3rd!)

D-MAN

Get ready to say hello to the Jubilee's evil-twin brother on steroids (or crack)! Oh, what the heck - steroids AND crack!

DM

Dana. You can at least tell me this. Will this jub relative on crack require a CNC router or can it be cut by table saw?

Will I need a permit from Carroll County Georgia to possess this beast?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get ready to say hello to the Jubilee's evil-twin brother on steroids (or crack)! Oh, what the heck - steroids AND crack!

DM

Dana. You can at least tell me this. Will this jub relative on crack require a CNC router or can it be cut by table saw?

Will I need a permit from Carroll County Georgia to possess this beast?

If you move to Dade County, they won't care.

Nah, this one is a table-saw variety. Piece of cake.

Policies concerning the use of the "device" are subject to State and Local jurisdictions however, Federal law requires that the following warning label be attached to each said device:

Warning:

This loudspeaker is intended for musical purposes only. Using this loudspeaker for any other purpose, including any the following is strictly prohibited:

a) removal of paint, plaster, wallpaper or other interior finishing products

B) blowing or the removal of yard debris, barbeques, or outside lawn furniture

c) aiming at windows, pets, or people without proper FAA approved hearing protection

d) drying hair, clothing, rugs or carpets

e) demolishing of existing abodes, establishments, or domiciles

Any use other than musical use shall constitute voiding of the warrantee, which ain't much anyway.

DM

"Warning:

This loudspeaker is intended for musical purposes only. Using this loudspeaker for any other purpose, including any the following is strictly prohibited:

a) removal of paint, plaster, wallpaper or other interior finishing products

B) blowing or the removal of yard debris, barbeques, or outside lawn furniture

c) aiming at windows, pets, or people without proper FAA approved hearing protection

d) drying hair, clothing, rugs or carpets

e) demolishing of existing abodes, establishments, or domiciles

Any use other than musical use shall constitute voiding of the warrantee, which ain't much anyway."

You sure you haven't violated a bose patent?

[6]

Same approx. footprint, etc. as the Jub, with couple of unique twists. Unitary throat with large throat area 154 sq. in. (combined), "adjustable" Vb, removable front panel allows different configurations. Increased versatility because you can swap drivers, etc., for extreme sensitivity or extreme power handling, depending on the application.

Single fold (benefit), large throat (benefit), overall pathlength is 5" shorter than Jub, but Jub has smaller throat area (that's basically a wash).

15" Drivers fall into 2 groups, large throat/large Vb, small(er) throat/small Vb. The large VB group is for the "standards", Bob's 15" drivers, K33E, CB15, Altec 515, JBL J-145, etc. Smaller Vb group Kappa Pro-15LF, etc. Driver sensitivity ranges from 96db to 99db ea., means minimum 2" mid generally required (high output). Naturally, I'm going with the BMS coax which is 113db-115db, which is an enabling factor in the design.

The Vb is selectively adjustable from 1.8 cu. ft per driver to a maximum of 3.2 feet per driver WITHOUT any fill in the rectangular back chamber, so if needed, more room can be had, however, I didn't find any drivers in my price range that would need more.

I included half-height versions for PA use (for portability). The 6x10" driver version is not in the drawings, but would basically follow the opposed-throat configurations seen in the 12" versions shown above.

JC, interested?

DM

"JC, interested?"

Dana, absolutely. I am serious. That is an unbelievable creation.

I would be more than honored to give this thing the first try. You have a lot of options there. I would need to think of which one to try.

The last plans you emailed me were very well put together. Do you have the complete drawup on this yet or will this take some more time?

jc

JC, no, the dual 15' plans are finished. Send me a "real" email so I can attach them.

Actually, the cutting plans are finished, but you are on your own for the rest of the "build", but since you did the Jubilee, you have got the general order down, so I don't think you'll need any further instructions!

Dana

Done!

Any others?

Bear in mind that these plans are as of yet "untested", and are for the full height dual-15" version only. The alternative version(s) plans are not yet finished.

Your part, in exchange, is to help me to correct any mistakes in the plans (if any, although I'm comfortable with them), and to take pics of the build progression (if possible), and certainly to make helpful suggestions, comments, etc, concerning the build, plans, etc.

I have no doubt that the completed enclosures will kick your tail in a decisive manner. That's what you get out of the deal. Seems like a fair exhange to me - I get free stuff to enhance the plans, and you get your rear-end kicked! What a great deal!!

DM

I was thinking that this could be a candidate for an isobaric setup, too.

Probably require some "modifications" to get drivers to fit back-to-back, but it's certainly possible. JBL's would be an instant candidate, because of their relatively "thin" profile, I would think. The front panel would probably need some "mods" to make it happen.

Without cabinet changes per se, the removable motor boards can go, giving 3/4" extra clearance, and either an 1" extension frame added to the front panel or 1" extensions added to the driver "gasket" would work, seems to me. Also the front panel could overset the top/bottom, and the back chamber sides extended to add another inch or so. It's definitely do-able.

DM

post-13458-1381931457841_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No comments on the 3rd design, huh? The Top-firing one? Well, it IS pretty AVANT-GARDE!

NOT! - but there are some special advantages of top-firing, first of which, you can put anything you want right up against it, furniture, cabinets, etc., unlike the type of horns you might be used to. It is also a smaller footprint than anything of a comparable low frequency cutoff. Did I mention that it has a smaller footprint than a Khorn? By about 3 inches less intrusion into the room. But I digress...

Top-exhausting renders the requirements of side-wall space (other than a certain ceiling height) a moot point.

Here are some past example of top-exhausting bass horns...

First one of my favorite inventors, Warren A. Rice who did 3 different corner horn patents, two of which are top-firing designs. Here is the earliest of his designs in pdf format. It is a rear-loaded horn.

DM

Rice_rearloaded1.pdf