Tube listening experience

33klfan

I finally heard some tube amps the other day. It was a rogue 66 preamp and 88 amp. I still haven't heard any old tubes or anything other than what i mentioned which doesn't help my decision really with what tube preamp or amp to get. I enjoyed the mids and the highs but missed the low end with the rock music. They were hooked up to vandersteen 2ce. It was neat to finally listen to some tubes even though they were way out of price range and they didn't impress me as far as low end but i guess that's normal.

For what brands i'm looking at are sonic frontier, audio research, and scott. I am not worried so much about the low end because i guess i can hook up my sub to the system. I think i want to do separates unless there is an integrated that is dang close to separates. I know with the scotts you can hook a sub line out so i heard, which is kind of nice because for some reason with the speaker level inputs there is feedback and a hum to the sub which i don't care for. If it's a separate i'll hook it up to my sx-980. I know i read that tube preamps are good with ss. I still have klipsch sf-1's. I am not sure what speakers i'll eventually upgrade to but i am thinking along the heritage line since i mainly listen to rock.

I like to read about this kind of thing but it would be better to hear which i can't seem to find anyone relatively close. I guess i mainly have to go by opinions of you guys. I guess if i wouldn't like one that i would buy i could sell it for the same price. That's the one nice thing about tube amps or anything sought after. I hope i can base my decision good enough without constant selling though. Thanks everyone.

I'm in NYC.

I recently bought 2 cary tube mono blocks.  There's no lack of bass response here or anything else for that matter.  Frequency response is 15hz to 20khz, sn 90db, 50 watts per amp.  Main feature are toroidal power and output transfomers so these things are very wide bandwidth. 

The SS equipment I have and am comparing the tube amps to are the onkyo NX-1000 (160wattsX7)  and the onkyo tx-ds939 (130wattsX7).

I've got a Rogue TII, which I think is the integrated version of what you heard...

I've got plenty of bass driving my Cornwall III's...makes me suspect the lesion in the audio chain causing you're lack of bass response in rock music is the speakers?

Err...I just checked the web and: EFFICIENCY:
86dB with 2.83 volts of pink noise input at 1 meter on axis...
me thinks that's the problem, but I could be wrong...

Normal??? I think not!! No lack of bass in either of my tube systems nor any that I've ever owned for that matter. I have heard a couple that were somewhat bass shy however.

You need to hear a few different setups before coming to any conclusions. There are LOTS of different tube gear, all with different sonic signatures. You just need to find the one that suits your taste.

Tube gear(amp/preamp)is in no way lacking in the bass departament.Tubes simply do not have the control/grip a solid state(a good solid state...eg. Bryston)will have on the woofer(s).

Even very low power and very low cost budget tube amps like the Antique will not be too lacking.With tubes the amp/speakers/room match is more important.With the right combination you are there,you best solid state easy.

Only case tubes lose to solid state is when listening o electronic music,all acoustic music will sound better when using tube amps.

Yeah, those speakers aren't too efficient but they go down low. I read good things on that amp but i don't know about the preamp. I don't think it's one of the good ones according to one review with it's pricetag. So maybe it was the preamp that was lacking in the setup i heard.

"I am not sure what speakers i'll eventually upgrade to but i am thinking along the heritage line since i mainly listen to rock."

That's good to know, I was wondering where you were planning on going speakerwise besides the SF-1s.

I like to read about this kind of thing but it would be better to hear which i can't seem to find anyone relatively close. I guess i mainly have to go by opinions of you guys. I guess if i wouldn't like one that i would buy i could sell it for the same price. That's the one nice thing about tube amps or anything sought after. I hope i can base my decision good enough without constant selling though. Thanks everyone.

You need to invest some time in investigation for best results/most efficient use of cash. Expand your "radius" a little. There are PLENTY of fellow Klipschers that will let you hear setups, and trust me, it is WELL worth it to travel to do this. Hearing gear is SOOOO worth the time. Just ask around - I'm sure you can get some help on this.

I also advise saving your dollars for something more substantial. Get something more "upgrade-proof" if your budget will allow. ESPECIALLY for someone who is a rock and roll basshead - the lesser gear seems to expose itself more quickly (you want BIG HONKING power transformers on your amps for this). I would STRONGLY recommend listening to NOSValves VRDs with a JuicyMusic preamp on a big pair of Heritage before doing any buying. Even if you cannot afford, it will be a good frame of reference for you. And you might get enough bass out of those VRDs to allow you to leave the subs alone - there is a certain benefit to the coherency of a system that can do it without the subs. The first time I heard this was in Craig's basement - trust me, the last thing I was thinking about was subwoofers. I set a couple here in town up with this kit "on the blind" (they had never heard it before - just my systems), and they are DIGGING IT.

Tubes, BASS SHY??? I thnk not!

I have a Sonic Frontier power 1. (power amp) The stock tubes suck ;but the amp shines with TungSol 6550s. There is no problem shaking the walls with my Cornwalls and tube setup!

In a listening session at one of the members houses, we had both the VRDs and my Power 1 running and though there were some VERY minor differences, they both did VERY well on Khorns. I would be very happy owning a pair of VRDs as I am also very happy with my Power 1, either setup would make you happy.

As for a Pre-amp, anything from the JM line sounds very good but there are many other units available used that sound outstanding as well. I went with a used VTL Ultimate pre-amp on the recomendation of a member on this forum and haven't looked back! I am very happy with what I have and have NO desire to "upgrade" any further.