Whats the deal with these new tubes?

Guest " "

I got a old RCA UY-227 globe that I'm pretty sure is NOS. It appears to test good and strong on the emission tester, anyway.... but that don't say much....

Just to let you and everyone else know, I now have the ability to test tubes. Since my parents have moved back to Florida, I have full access to any of the equipment that my father uses for his tube radio business.

Mike, you are correct in saying that just because the emissions test good doesn't mean that the tube IS good. The only way to tell that is by testing said tube on a tester that does Mutual Conductance.

I have a total of 3 testers at my disposal:

Precision 915 - Emissions/Noise/Microphonics

Sencore MU150 - Emissions/Mutual Conductance

Hickok 600A Mutual Conductance

And that doesn't include all of the other test equipment that I'm sure can measure different parameters of tubes.

All 3 of these testers are maintained and calibrated on a regular basis by my father.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there for you all! [;)]

Still trying to figure out what this old Sylvania is....

BTW, I asked my dad about this tube and he thinks it's some kind of transmitting tube, but he can't say for sure.

How many pins is it and does it have any other markings on it for possible identification?

"

The bases look nice and clean, as with the glass and screen printing. The pins do not have any scrape marks, or maybe just light marks from previous testing or whatever. The electrodes seem to be nice and clean, and the gettering as well. No browning, carbon buildup or lack of gettering."

This summary I like, it means I was not being nit-picky.

Audible Nectar

Makes sense.

I'm statying away from "NOS", "tested like NOS" "looks like NOS", etc.

Going major carrier re-issue whenever possivle.....Partsexpress sells every tube that I needed....did'nt think of checking there. Partsexprss is not good at detailed info, but there are plent of internet sites that have info.

Audible Nectar

Makes sense.

I'm statying away from "NOS", "tested like NOS" "looks like NOS", etc.

Going major carrier re-issue whenever possivle.....Partsexpress sells every tube that I needed....did'nt think of checking there. Partsexpress is not good at detailed info, but there are plent of internet sites that have info.

I got a old RCA UY-227 globe that I'm pretty sure is NOS. It appears to test good and strong on the emission tester, anyway.... but that don't say much....

Just to let you and everyone else know, I now have the ability to test tubes. Since my parents have moved back to Florida, I have full access to any of the equipment that my father uses for his tube radio business.

Mike, you are correct in saying that just because the emissions test good doesn't mean that the tube IS good. The only way to tell that is by testing said tube on a tester that does Mutual Conductance.

I have a total of 3 testers at my disposal:

Precision 915 - Emissions/Noise/Microphonics

Sencore MU150 - Emissions/Mutual Conductance

Hickok 600A Mutual Conductance

And that doesn't include all of the other test equipment that I'm sure can measure different parameters of tubes.

All 3 of these testers are maintained and calibrated on a regular basis by my father.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there for you all! [;)]

Chops,

Would your Dad be into callibrating a tube tester? Kind of a long way to send it, though (CA to FL)...

fini,

I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Pretty much, if it has tubes or something to do with tubes, he'll work on it.

What kind is it (brand, model, etc...)? Is it tube based or SS? That way, he can look up the schematic online for it and see what can be done. Don't worry, he can work on either type.

I'll ask him when I get off of work today.

Still trying to figure out what this old Sylvania is....

BTW, I asked my dad about this tube and he thinks it's some kind of transmitting tube, but he can't say for sure.

How many pins is it and does it have any other markings on it for possible identification?

It's the old style 4-pin with a ceramic base. I just picked-up the tube and looked it over.

I dunno why I never noticed it before, but very,very, lightly underneath the very light Sylvania logo is the numbers 865. Now I know the #, I may be able to find data now......

Sometimes you can decipher the wore old screen print by breathing on it a bit.

I would think if one wants to get deep and test mountains of tubes with reasonable accuracy, a curve tracer would be the way to go. But who can afford that....Testing in circuit isn't a bad idea.

A quick and dirty way to test for microphonics is in circuit. We had about 10, 15 Sylvania green labled chrome top 6SN7's. Used organ pull tubes. After testing 25 said 6SN7's between a Jackson (648?) emission tester, and my B&K 550 Mutual Conductance tester, we came out with the 10, 15 tubes that were all within the green zone on the meter.

The old Jackson is a classic emission tester. Yes, it is just a emission tester, but it is rather accurate. It's nice to have to compare with mutual conductance testers, plus it seems to test everything known to man. Between the two, we had a pretty good idea of what was going on with the 6SN7's.

Microphonics test was in circuit with the first 6SN7 stage of linestages.

Circuit powered up, yank a 6SN7, let it come up and tap on it. Yank it, do it again. Some pinged, some clanged. Only around 6, 7 passed this dirty test. It has me pondering the idea of using the little dampers for 6SN7.

Make sure the previous and following stages have safety divider resistors if one yanks tubes like that. If in doubt, don't do it.

I need to find some parts for my winter car............

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Look at the bottoms on these. This is the first clue that the tubes are NOS, the bottoms are absolutely clear. A used tube will start to get smoke colored on the bottom after use. If you are buying on ebay and they don't have a good photo of the bases that is a good clue they are used.

Travis

post-15134-1381931464107_thumb.jpg

I've never bought any NOS from anyone except Brent Jesse. If he says it's NOS -- it's NOS.

With Brent Jesse ,being such a reliable source why don't we hear of anyone using the "Groove Tube" 5ar4 tubes in their VRD's. He states on his web site that these are"Made by Groove tubes in the style of the late 60's Mullard 7 notch plates flat top version. IDENTICAL QUALITY to the older British tubes at a big savings. At last ,a NOS quality current production 5AR4 at an affordable price". So how about it ,any body try these yet ,I found them for $21 each . Seems like an excellant choice ,if what Brent Jesse says about the quality being "identical " to the 60's mullards,rings true.