silver wire ??????

joessportster

any one have experince with solid core silver wire as speaker wires

if so how is the sound effected

joe

A good friend sold me some silver speaker cable but I bought it mostly because its shiney and I love shiney : ). However, more important they are shielded. I didn't do any a b comparison but they looked good and they are hooked up to klipsch heritage which usually sound good anyway ; )

any one have experince with solid core silver wire as speaker wires

if so how is the sound effected

joe

A good friend sold me some silver speaker cable but I bought it mostly because its shiney and I love shiney : ). However, more important they are shielded. I didn't do any a b comparison but they looked good and they are hooked up to klipsch heritage which usually sound good anyway ; )

umm wouldn't that be the shielding that looks shiny to you?

just asking because i picked up some solid core silver wire free about 150 feet or so, about as big as  a pencil lead guess i will hook some up and see if i hear any differance

joe

Nice find Joe! Silver and copper is really a toss-up and depends heavily on your equipment and preferences. The topic is a bit of a "Can of Worms" around here but I'd say if you use tube equipment and SET in particular, silver ICs and cables will sound noticeably different in your system. Silver tends to excel in speed and dynamics and some feel its the only way to go if you want to keep up with compression drivers and horns. Copper has more body - especially in the bottom end and is the only real option for most SS equipment (in my opinion).

There are several good "recipes" for DIY silver speaker cables. John Risch and VH Audio are often well-reviewed and respected for both DIY cables and ICs. The trick with silver is to use all-silver, including terminations and solder and don't let it kink - ever.

You'll only need about 50-60' for all your cable and IC needs so feel free to cut off 50' and send it my way.

Have fun

One big advantage of Silver over Copper is that silver oxide (the black stuff) is a decent conductor - whilst copper oxide (the green stuff) isnt.

This is only an issue at the exposed ends of the cables, but, in theory, over time the copper carrier should see more of a degradation in signal quality than the silver one.

well i just performed a short audition of my monster wire (copper) and the new silver solid core, running just 1 k-horn and 1 amp with either wire hooked 1 at a time, and i have to say i really didnt hear a differance per-say, the only thing discernable as a differance may have been some seperation but that is a very subjective thing ........... on al stewart year of the cat i can hear the finger slide on the strings and it seemed to be better seperated with the silver wire the other advantage of the silver is purley its size much easier to hide and run from one side of the room to the other, i will still want to hook everything up and get a better idea of the sound b-4 making any final decisions as to keeping silver in the system but that will have to wait as im off to work again

thanks for the input, all

Joe